Ford Mustang Forum banner

Leaking driveshaft yoke

6K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  JustAnotherRuki 
#1 ·
It's been leaking for a while now but i've been ignoring it. I feel its time to get under vehicle and fix it. How do i fix it? just buy a new yoke or is there more to it? thanks

J

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll look into that as well but I feel this is yoke related. The yoke is sticking out to much and I dont like it at all. Looks like when I replaced my leaf springs driveshaft slid out alot. I'll probably have to get me a longer driveshaft now..

J

#4 ·
Just change the seal mate, easy to do.
The yoke looks a tad long but it should be so it slides in and out with rear suspension movement, plus if you had the car jacked up it would come out a bit as well.

#5 ·
One thing I'd do is slip it out and look for 'wear rings' or pitting, when you're replacing the rear seal. If it's just a little bit worn, you can probably clean it up and polish it without any trouble. Also, just wiggle it all around and see if there's any slop or wobble to it. The thing should be free to move in and out a little as the rear axle goes through its travel, but it most definitely should have no play when it comes to rotation. Just horizontal with the shaft. If it's shiny smooth, and doesn't wiggle, you are probably fine. You're also right that it should not stick out 'a lot' because without enough of the shaft engaged, it will develop problems, and very likely warp the driveshaft while it's at it. IIRC the shop manual does list how much free play it's supposed to have, which will help you figure out if it's too far out.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, if i get home early today I'll jack it up and look for any play. The leak has been ongoing for a long time now even before replacing leaf springs the yoke was dripping fluid. I dont really think the differential moved backwards a lot but there is a slight chance there was movement given the old springs where pretty much done and the new ones corrected a nasty lean the vehicle had to one side. I do know this, I drive the car hard at times if the yoke was ready to pop out it would've happened by now, I'm very, very happy it hasn't happened yet.. right now I feel like driving like grandma. There is a drivetrain shop close to work I'll drop by this week.

J

#8 ·
i measured the driveshaft while i was under the car and it came up to 49 1/2". yadkin, when i ease up on the gas pedal and rpms drop i feel something weird coming from under there and i can't really explain it. If i was to describe it i would have to say is like a "thud" but then i soon as i gas it and rpms go back up spins perfect. This only happens at higher speeds 50+ mph. I don't really feel any weird vibration coming from the shaft. check out my video please. Thanks again fellows

https://vimeo.com/367905915

J

#12 ·
After bugging me all day i finally brought the driveshaft down, the driveshaft came out with little effort but before taking the whole thing out i tried pushing it in and it went in another inch or so. Tomorrow on my way to work i'll drop by the a shop a buddy of mine recommended me. Wheelbase measurement is a genius idea, Thanks again Yadkin!

J

Attachments

#14 ·
You can see the old position in the second photo especially. The shaft looks to be about 4" long, you have 1.5" engagement and you should have 3", or about 1" exposed.

Reactions: Ivy66GT
#19 ·
My AOD has been brought down 3 times in the last 5 years, last time was last year when i paid to have it rebuilt and put in a new servo kit. I remember the leak stopped after this but then it came back several weeks later. The old springs were in such bad shape every time i drove over a pothole or bump my car's rear would come down so hard it would shook the vehicle badly. For a long time i pondered what could've dented my gas tank 2 years ago and i came to a conclusion the vehicle must've come down real hard on a bump and this is what caused the dent. It's very likely worn out springs and the installation of the new springs aggravated the situation even further. One thing is for sure the driveshaft is shorter by 2" or so. The car is great with the new springs and i have been more than happy at how it feels on the road. Best course of action will be to take the driveshaft to a shop and make it longer if it can't happen then buy a new one.

J

Attachments

#20 ·
I had to wait about 2 weeks to get all new parts and then have it taken to the shop but as of now it was worth the wait. The new driveshaft length is excellent. The new 1310 U-joints are OEM specs to the pinion yoke and the new yoke is perfect. Spicer makes some real nice parts for sure. The seal went in fairly easy but smacking the sucker in place while laying under the car is a pain.. At a closer look the old driveshaft was in dire need of updating i'm glad it held up until now. Looking forward driving her tomorrow.

J

Attachments

Reactions: Grimbrand
#21 ·
No leaks and no vibration whatsoever! I took her on the expressway and it was pedal to the metal to test it and the driveshaft came through with flying colors. I'm done here so lets move on to the following thing..

J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.