66 disc brake conversion wheel bearing help needed! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

66 disc brake conversion wheel bearing help needed!

I bought a 66 strait 6 m3 a few weeks ago. The owner had it for around a year and had no idea what was on the car or done to it. It has a front disc brake conversion and I know that the pads are from a 1987 cavalier (d289's) which seems to be a popular swap. I suspect that it is the scott drake kit since I'm finding a lot of other scott drake parts. When driving it I noticed a metallic shearing sound and my brake pedal got soft so I pulled the wheels to check it all out.

While pulling it all apart I'm suspecting that they didn't have the right bearing seal on the inner bearing and there isn't a metal spacer like in the cj pony part install video. One rotor had the seal facing the bearing and the other rotor was the opposite. On the CJ pony part install video there is a metal spacer on the inside of the bearing cap.
(stop at 5:02 to see what i'm talking about). I think this is why the center link ends are blown out and the tires are wearing on the inside. The brake pads are also wearing at an angle rather than flat. The castle nut had also backed out a little.

I bought bearings and a bearing cap but at this point i'm not sure they are even the right parts because the cap wont even press into the back of the rotor. The old cap looked like it had been hammered in. The bearing cap and bearings I bought were the same part numbers that it had on it.

1. Does anyone know where to get this metal spacer and what bearing cap I need?

2. Any other theories as to what's going on here?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1356.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	611901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	611903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	611905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	611907   Click image for larger version

Name:	59328270345__CD2A3D4D-77EE-4ED9-9108-53205468A646.JPG
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	611909  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	611911  

1966 m3 strait 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Don't want you to think you're being ignored! I can see they're bearings, spindles, and hats, but I can't tell you from what car. It sucks that they changed all this stuff but didn't give you documentation! Good luck and hope you find the parts you need.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
Old 10-21-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I agree, there was no metal ring like that from Ford. Who knows what you have or are supposed to have.

Old 10-21-2019
PONY Member

Garage
It appears to be another case of "just because it fits, that doesn't mean it'll work". Good luck on your search. You may have to go to a new conversion kit to make things work right.
Old 10-21-2019
GT Member

On the inside of your disc you can clearly see 2 lines. Do the pads have wear indicators on them which is a small metal tab called a screamer.
When the pads wear to nearly their limit, the screamer touches the disc to tell you that it is time to change your pads.
Are you sure this is not the noise that you are hearing.

As for tyres wearing out, that would be an alignment issue or the wrong tie rod ends have been used.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
Old 10-23-2019
GT Member

I just watched the included video. The spacer you mention is to have a 'backstop' for the inner bearing to compress and align the rotor with the center of the caliper so the pads will wear even, although it is a floating caliper, it can only move so far. The missing or in place spacer should not damage any linkage, but it may cause a tire rub because it moves the tire out. Most important, the ring not being in place will cause the spindle to seat the inner bearing. Look for wear at those surfaces.

The old bearings should have a PN on the edge of the race. That will lead you to new parts.

1968, hardtop, 289, C4, seafoam green.
1966, hardtop, 289, original 3 speed, on the road and fun to drive.
1968, hardtop, 200, 3 speed, in work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in