Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Yadkin
  • 1 Post By JustAnotherRuki
  • 1 Post By Yadkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Help! 1968 mustang coupe 289 hei distributor NO SPARK

I just recently got a 1968 mustang coupe. It has the 289 v8. Car was running qhen i got it. I removed the points distributor to install a hei distributor. Now i can not figure out why i have no spark. The spark plug and wires are brand new. It has a new starter solenoid new battery. Ive installed 2 different hei distributors and still have no spark. The first distributor i installed the pick up coil was bad. I installed another distributor still no change. Ive gone through and tested the ignition module and even swapped the coil to verify its not those. Please help im at a complete loss. I do have the distributor hooked up via the relay method. Any and all help would be much appreciated thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019
PONY Member

Did you measure voltage at the Batt terminal on the HEI both in the crank and run key positions?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
The original wiring in the car is set up to give the points six volts from the ignition switch in the run position. It does this by a pink colored resistor wire buried in the dash harness. Study the diagram to see this detail. Wire 16 (red-green) connects to 16A (pink) to 16B (red-green).

The factory starter solenoid (relay) is actually two circuits. The fat output wire obviously goes to the starter. Wire 32 (red-blue) triggers the solenoid. Small output wire 262 (brown) backfeeds wire 16B.

Your HEI, or any other electronic distributor needs 12 volts when cranking and at run, so that should solve the mystery as to why you are not getting spark when the key is in the run position. However it does not explain why you don't get spark when cranking. My guess is that you have a fault in that part of the circuit.

Try this:

1. Make sure that you have zero ohms between your distributor case and the battery negative. If not, install a #10 wire between them to achieve that.
2. Remove the distributor wire #16 from the circuit and use a jumper wire to connect it directly to the battery 12 volts. Crank the starter. If you don't get spark then something is wrong with the distributor.

Once you get the thing running you need to bypass the pink wire in the circuit. Best way to do that is to install a new #10 wire from the ignition switch #16A directly to the distributor. Then you can abandon the small wire output #262 from the solenoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968-mustang-wiring-diagram-ignition-starting-charging.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	611969  
Beechkid and JustAnotherRuki like this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019
PONY Member

Yadkin explained it all, in simple terms all you need is a solid 12v from ignition.

J
Beechkid likes this.

1965 Mustang Resto-Modded with a classic charm
347 ci stroker 10:1 CR ( street warrior engine) Weiand Stealth,mild roller camshaft, intake ported to AFR 185 cc ,CompCams GOLD 1.6 Roller rockers, Hedman ceramic shorties
AOD stage 1(450 HP), 3.80 gears, MG Trac Lok LSD, 15" shoes
1970 Mustang fastback BOSS 302 tribute in the works..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
PONY Member

Or, you can install a 30A relay and use the #16 stock original coil wire to trigger by connecting it to the relay 86 terminal, run a 10ga from the starter solenoid battery terminal to relay 30 terminal, run a 10ga from the relay 87 terminal to the HEI batt terminal, and connect a ground from the relay 85 terminal to the relay mounting screw. This ensures clean full battery voltage to the HEI and not having to worry about voltage drops through the stock wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RelayPinout.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	611981  

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
Or, you can install a 30A relay and use the #16 stock original coil wire to trigger by connecting it to the relay 86 terminal, run a 10ga from the starter solenoid battery terminal to relay 30 terminal, run a 10ga from the relay 87 terminal to the HEI batt terminal, and connect a ground from the relay 85 terminal to the relay mounting screw. This ensures clean full battery voltage to the HEI and not having to worry about voltage drops through the stock wiring.
This will work, but Ford kept the ignition circuit unfused and as simple as possible for a reason. They also over-sized the wire.
Beechkid likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
PONY Member

I agree, but ford didn't use an HEI back then either. I suggested a non fused 10ga to power the distributor.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I suggested a non fused 10ga to power the distributor.
Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
...install a new #10 wire from the ignition switch #16A directly to the distributor. ..

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019
PONY Member

You still lose voltage from running through all the original wiring. Most HEI module failures are from low voltage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page