Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 07redstang
  • 1 Post By CalCoop
  • 1 Post By Kraig1957

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Trying to identify my carburetor

I have recently purchased my first 1965 mustang 289. The previous owner has change some things on the car. I am trying to figure out what carburetor is on it but unable to locate any makings. I am thinking it is an auto 4100? Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B2DB445-54EE-46A9-A860-B77978A96346_1572566080691.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	460.9 KB
ID:	612081   Click image for larger version

Name:	18250EB6-FCE6-479A-AE3D-45BC3076512B_1572566102868.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	612083  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Well, I can't tell you what it is, but it's not a 4100, or its later, crummier cousin, the 4300 either. It's not a Quadrajet or a typical Holley. It looks vaguely familiar somehow, but I just can't place it.

The 4100 has a very distinctive design with a bowl front and rear. Its fuel inlet sticks out toward the front of the car, offset to the passenger side. The 4300 has a center fuel inlet in the front, angled off toward the driver's side. This thing looks like fuel is passenger rear? WEIRD.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019
PONY Member

Your carb is either an old Carter AFB or an early Edelbrock Performer series. Basically the same carbs. Best guess its a Carter.
Beechkid and Grimbrand like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you. I think I might change the carburetor. This is a stock 289 what would be the best carburetor to look into?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
For a 289, I'd go with a 4100 (if you just happened to have one, or knew someone who had one with the 1.08 venturi). If it's a really hot 289, you could use one with the bigger 1.12's. Unfortunately, 4100's are getting pretty scarce these days.

The Summit M-series carbs are a direct descendant of the 4100s, and have some really nice features. They are easier to tune, and even look a lot like the Autolites. For a mild build, I'd get the 500 CFM version. If you intend to upgrade heads, cam, intake, and exhaust, you could use the 600 CFM version easily. These carbs also happen to be cheap, but despite their $300 price tag, they offer features you don't start to see on other carbs till around $600 or more.

Both the 4100 and M-series carbs use annular boosters. "So what? How does this help me?" you may ask. Well, for any street driven car, good fuel atomization is the name of the game. Unlike other booster types, annular boosters deliver a very fine spray of fuel, and do so with very little signal (pulses from the intake). Since liquid gasoline does not burn, only the vapors, this means that a lot less gasoline goes out the tailpipe, and more of it is burned. For economy, power, throttle response, and general simplicity, both the 4100 and the Summit carbs are truly excellent. They even do well for most performance engines.

For extreme power production, (think professional drag racing) annular boosters are not typically used. This is because when gasoline is so finely atomized it becomes nothing but vapor in the intake, it takes up more room than liquid droplets. This can displace some of the oxygen. For a car that does not care about economy at all, a Holley with cheap downleg boosters can probably deliver a few percent more peak horsepower at wide open throttle, if it's tuned to take advantage.

However, in all other driving conditions - like part throttle, cruise, and, well, every other situation, where your car literally spends 99% of its life as a street car - the annular boosters are superior. Your car will have more average power, and far better economy. I am not just speaking from theory, books, and what I learned on the internet, I've experienced this and proven it to be true on my own car. I foolishly 'upgraded' my car from a 4100 to a Holley 600 carb when I was a kid, and frankly, there was no comparison.

Hope this helps! =)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for advise. I was looking into the summits and also the 500cfm Edelbrock. This is going to be a good Sunday car for family. Keeping it mostly stock for now.
Grimbrand likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCoop View Post
I have recently purchased my first 1965 mustang 289. The previous owner has change some things on the car. I am trying to figure out what carburetor is on it but unable to locate any makings. I am thinking it is an auto 4100? Thoughts?
It looks like a Carter 625 cfm with electric choke model 9635 no longer sold and replaced by Edelbrock model 1406 600 cfm.

The way you can tell if it is a Carter 625 CFM is that the primary under the choke is slightly smaller (300cfm) in bore than the secondarys (325cfm). The Edelbrock 1406 has the electric choke and the primarys and secondarys are the same size at 300 cfm each.
Grimbrand likes this.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCoop View Post
Thank you for advise. I was looking into the summits and also the 500cfm Edelbrock. This is going to be a good Sunday car for family. Keeping it mostly stock for now.
Whats wrong with the carb that's on it? Worst case you can throw a kit in it and be good for another 10-15years. The carb you have is probably better than the newer versions with the exception of a Edelbrock AVS.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

The carb that is on it won’t start when cold until I Give it a little starter fluid. When driving it and try to speed from 45 it will bog before acceleration.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Sounds like choke issues! But to be fair, that carb is a little big for a stock 289.

PONY Member

I've used that same carb, if its a Carter, long before Edelbrock acquired the rights to its design back in the 70's on many SBF engines with no issues.

It could be a choke or starting technique issue. Did you pump the gas 2 times prior to turning the key? I looks like the butterfly is set correctly. When the engine is cold, before you do anything look down into the carb and see if there are 2 solid sprays of fuel while you operate the throttle by hand. Are you using relatively fresh fuel or had the car been sitting for some time?

It can also be a weak spark, poor timing settings, fouled plugs, weak coil, bad points, corroded cap contacts, worn rotor, vacuum leak, etc...

The bog could be attributed to some of the above also. I would start with paragragh 1 and then move towards checking the condition of your tune and ignition parts.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Sounds like choke issues! But to be fair, that carb is a little big for a stock 289.
After doing a little more searching and cleaning I noticed it has a cobra aluminum intake manifold. So now I am in search of what has been modified. Thank you guys for your knowledge.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Cal, no matter what your engine is, when it comes to tuning, start with ignition. Make sure you check to see where TDC is, by pulling a plug and finding it - don't believe the timing marks on your damper till you prove 'em right. Once you do that, set the timing where it should be. Timing and ignition generally are where the biggest gains are going to be seen, when you're tuning anyway, not to mention being something relatively easy to get 'close' and prove to be right.

Once that's down, then you can start to deal with the more subtle art of fuel and air delivery. Tuning a carb isn't as simple, but you can read up on your particular model and find a lot of information on what to adjust - if you even need to once you get your timing right.

Figuring out what cam and heads you have got might take some more sleuthing, and even disassembly to be sure about, since you don't know what's already been done to it. Thankfully, you can just tune it to what the engine actually likes without knowing the specifics of its parts. It's not ideal, but it's not that hard, especially since you already have it running.

Have fun, and good luck. =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in