• 2 Post By Beechkid
  • 3 Post By 64must
  • 1 Post By raydav

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exhaust Options

Hi all

So I'm considering some new mufflers on my 65 ( will be my third time!).

Background: 65 Mustang convertible, Holley EFI via direct injection, Blueprint 302(306) crate motor.

Exhaust: Started with Magnaflow 15815 (with Xpipe). Felt it was too loud so swapped the mufflers with Magnaflow 14356.

Although I love the sound, the car is still very loud, even when slowly accelerating from a standstill and maintaining a slow and easy cruise speed on inner roads, the car just roars from the start.

I want something that is more tame when slowly cruising on inner roads, then wakes up when you get on the freeway and punch the pedal. At the same time, don't want to lose the V8 muscle and start sounding like a Toyota.

I'm considering fabricating Chambered mufflers (2 chamber perhaps) to replace my current straight through mufflers. Other option was to go for Turbo, but I'm told that that would lose most of the sound.

Any advice/ opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

JB

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Current Stable:
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible (Betty)
2011 Range Rover HSE (Her Ladyship)
2012 Bentley Flying Spur Speed W12 (51 Series) (Bernard)
2014 Porsche 911 (991) Turbo (Yellowbird)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR (Brutus)
2018 Rolls Royce Wraith (Gray)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
The 2 chamber will be louder than the Magnaflow. You can add 2 resonators to calm it down some.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy metal View Post
The 2 chamber will be louder than the Magnaflow. You can add 2 resonators to calm it down some.
Really? I thought chambered would be more quiet than straight through mufflers?

Current Stable:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
The Magnaflow design makes it quieter than 2 chambers.2 resonators added will calm it down some and being less expensive to do.DynoMax Super Turbos are a toned down option also.
Grimbrand likes this.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Dump the "X-Pipe" for an "H-Pipe" and get a deeper sound and nice Burble!!

Also, Jones makes Magnaflow knock-offs for half the price!!

Jones Exhaust Systems, Inc.

GOOD LUCK!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
X and H pipe work out to be just variations on the tone of the exhaust, and how 'smooth' it sounds; does not affect volume level appreciably.

Chambered mufflers and glasspacks are slightly louder than Magnaflows (which usually get called turbo mufflers, even though they're not). Magnaflows are essentially the same straight-through design as a glasspack, but with a wider case and more sound absorption.

Unless you add another muffler or resonator to the system, the only way to quiet things down more is to go to a more restrictive design, like a true turbo muffler, which makes the exhaust follow an "S" shaped path inside a flattened case, usually with offset inlets and outlets.

Another option might be to add a transverse muffler in front of the gas tank, but you might not like how much it quiets things down on full throttle. It's an open chamber with an inlet and outlet on each end of the case. The inlets aim toward each other, and the outlets let the exhaust out once the pulses are done duking it out in the middle. Those seem to do very little at part throttle and idle, but they really dampen the sound when you've got the skinny pedal down.
Beechkid and JonnybravoM3 like this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

My personal experience is the H-Pipe is more mellow and the X-Pipe is higher pitched and sorta ZIPPY sounding depending on your mufflers!!
Grimbrand likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

So it seems my options are... Stupid loud, medium and stock quiet and I'm actually in the "medium" catergory!

My tech says it's because I have a high performance crate engine, I can't expect to sound as quiet as the original 289 that my car came with.

We are going to explore adding resonators and see what happens. I don't want to sound stock, I love the growl of the V8 but it is quite loud from the get-go, even when slowly cruising, people KNOW that I'm coming haha.

Here's a short vid:

Grimbrand likes this.

Current Stable:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
With your setup, you're more on the 'high end of medium' if that makes any sense. Magnaflows are excellent for performance and have a nice savage snarl to them, but they don't make your ears ring when cruising out on the highway like some shorty glasspacks or chambered mufflers would.

Realistically, to tone down the sound even more without losing performance would be to add a second set of glasspacks in series with the existing Magnaflows. Call them resonators if it makes you sleep better. This is precisely what most manufacturers did with their factory performance exhausts. The good news is, despite the added expense and complication, a straight-through muffler like this won't hurt performance at all, unlike a factory type muffler, or even a turbo muffler. Even the cross-flow transverse mufflers used on the big-block Mustangs will steal some power, and that's nothing more than a big tin can.

Given the rest of the cars on your list, your Mustang's exhaust tone must feel earth-shattering in comparison!

My Cougar has turbo mufflers on it, and it's still loud enough to set off car alarms when I go up ramps in a parking garage. Of course, I'm childish enough that it still seems funny to me most of the time too though...

One last note: Chambered mufflers stink. They have nothing of the mellow "I smoke cigars and drink bourbon" growl of the Magnaflows. They have a hollow, empty, tinny tone, and at certain RPMs, they ring like a gong, making your ears want to bleed. I *hate* chambered mufflers. Glasspacks (perforated pipes, wrapped in steel wool and fiberglass, in an outer shell) damp the high-pitched tones, and smooth things out, without all the resonance. Want more damping? Get longer glasspacks! A straight-through muffler of this type can actually flow more than an exhaust pipe with the same inner diameter, because there is less turbulence inside. That's awesome for performance, and they're cheap besides. If your system's just a little too loud, this is definitely the route I'd take, unless you want to go more nostalgia, with a crossflow transverse muffler.
Beechkid and JonnybravoM3 like this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
With your setup, you're more on the 'high end of medium' if that makes any sense. Magnaflows are excellent for performance and have a nice savage snarl to them, but they don't make your ears ring when cruising out on the highway like some shorty glasspacks or chambered mufflers would.

Realistically, to tone down the sound even more without losing performance would be to add a second set of glasspacks in series with the existing Magnaflows. Call them resonators if it makes you sleep better. This is precisely what most manufacturers did with their factory performance exhausts. The good news is, despite the added expense and complication, a straight-through muffler like this won't hurt performance at all, unlike a factory type muffler, or even a turbo muffler. Even the cross-flow transverse mufflers used on the big-block Mustangs will steal some power, and that's nothing more than a big tin can.

Given the rest of the cars on your list, your Mustang's exhaust tone must feel earth-shattering in comparison!

My Cougar has turbo mufflers on it, and it's still loud enough to set off car alarms when I go up ramps in a parking garage. Of course, I'm childish enough that it still seems funny to me most of the time too though...

One last note: Chambered mufflers stink. They have nothing of the mellow "I smoke cigars and drink bourbon" growl of the Magnaflows. They have a hollow, empty, tinny tone, and at certain RPMs, they ring like a gong, making your ears want to bleed. I *hate* chambered mufflers. Glasspacks (perforated pipes, wrapped in steel wool and fiberglass, in an outer shell) damp the high-pitched tones, and smooth things out, without all the resonance. Want more damping? Get longer glasspacks! A straight-through muffler of this type can actually flow more than an exhaust pipe with the same inner diameter, because there is less turbulence inside. That's awesome for performance, and they're cheap besides. If your system's just a little too loud, this is definitely the route I'd take, unless you want to go more nostalgia, with a crossflow transverse muffler.
Makes total sense will look into that.

Yes my current stable are all quiet, but I used to have a BMW M6 V10 cabrio with Eisenmann race exhaust and nonResonated SuperSprint xpipe and that thing was LOUD - setting off car alarms loud so don't get me wrong i know when a car is loud.

Good thing though is my Stang doesn't drone! Anyway, will explore the resonator option with my tech, if all else fails I'll just stay as I am now. No harm in letting ppl know that you're coming! But annual inspection I either have to go see the supervisor to convince him that classic cars are louder than modern cars, or I get lucky with an open minded inspector, did that last year was annoying. American cars here get a lot of negative attention from authorities because they are known always be modified in some way!

Grimbrand likes this.

Current Stable:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

I would recommend saving a lot ofmoney & go with Allied resonators......available is any muffler shopnationwide, are of excellent quality, 1/2 the price of “performance Mufflers”, availablein any length from 10" to 38" (IIRR), flow as good as Borla or mostany of the "Race Mufflers”, tone is deeper and you get a nice rumble (low)with no drone and none of the tinny "ricer" echo. Allied has beenmade for at least 30 years and available in just about any diameter you wouldrequire (I have personally run these for since the 1970's....nice low rumble onacceleration & deceloration, no drone, deep tone.

A good muffler shop will have these in stock and allow you to put the car on the rack, drop the muffler and test each size until you find what soots your ears best!
Grimbrand and JonnybravoM3 like this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

My 289 with turbo mufflers and 2 1/4" pipes sounded good backing the car out of the driveway. Step on the gas and it was extremely loud. My son in law works at a muffler shop and recommend adding a resonator in front of each muffler. It sounded like a different car! It toned down the noise a lot and I really like it (so do my ears). This is in a 1964 1/2 mustang with a 4 speed.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64must View Post
My 289 with turbo mufflers and 2 1/4" pipes sounded good backing the car out of the driveway. Step on the gas and it was extremely loud. My son in law works at a muffler shop and recommend adding a resonator in front of each muffler. It sounded like a different car! It toned down the noise a lot and I really like it (so do my ears). This is in a 1964 1/2 mustang with a 4 speed.
Do you by any chance have a picture of what your set up looks like?

Current Stable:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

I have a Dec 1964 convertible. It started as a six cylinder and then had two 351Ws. This spring I gave it a fresh 427W.

I got a deal on a pair of long, polished, glass packs. The street I live on is one half mile long. I am in the middle of the block. The street is mostly dirt and very rough. I was coming home. I idled around the corner. My neighbor was in his house. He heard me turn the corner.

Flowmaster has a family of about thirty. I got a pair of these which were listed as the quietest of the family. The car did the Hot Rod Power Tour and the NSRA nationals; about 12K miles. I am keeping them.

Flowmaster 842451 50 Delta Muffler 409S - 2.25 Offset IN / 2.25 Center OUT - Moderate Sound

Regarding passing an inspection. I'll share a trick from the fifties. Drill a small hole thru the tail pipe near the end, but not too close. Then stuff some steel wool in the pipe and hold it in place with piece of wire thru the holes you made in the pipe. A bit more legit would be a pair of additional mufflers on the end of the tail pipes that would swap with a straight section of pipe the same length.

In this album is the glass packs I had on the first two 351s, including the one that blew out on a Power Tour, and the current Flowmasters.

https://goo.gl/photos/PPcZpByXAgfp8kTk6
JonnybravoM3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page