• 2 Post By opakahum
  • 1 Post By Travis98146
  • 1 Post By Yadkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

power at firewall none beyond

Hello to all,

History: had dim instrument cluster, replaced bulbs and headlight switch (which if you could see the old one it was a good move). Everything checked out fine after the operation. Brighter light but not eye popping as they say. Everything still worked. At some point after running the engine checking the headlight and brake lights and heater fan and shutting it down it must have suffered a stroke of some sort. The plug I unplug at the firewall and have in my hand has 6 male and 2 female connectors. I have 13.25 volts at the 2 female connectors and nothing at the 6 male connectors. Turning the key does nothing. One curious thing I noticed previously was that there were no headlights on the high beam. The red light shows on the cluster but nothing on the road. Low beams fine. This has been the case since I bought the thing. Everywhere I have been searching seems to only describe solutions or paths of investigation that stop at the firewall.

Thank You, Bobby

1966 Coupe
200 ci 6 cyl
3 speed man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

I believe the female terminals are for power to enter the cabin, the males are for the power to return to the engine compartment. For your headlight issue, start at the lamps and work back towards the bulkhead and see where power drops off.

imps likes this.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Turns out there are two connectors thru the firewall and I only saw the one about 4 inches right of the left hood hinges. The one directly under the left hood hinge had come completely unplugged. Have no idea how but now all is well after plugging it back in, plus ever since I have owned this car (maybe 30 days) it never had bright headlights. Now it does.

So sorry for all the drama. Thanks for your input RedStang. If you're living down there in the Kiamichi's I'm jealous.
Yadkin and imps like this.

1966 Coupe
200 ci 6 cyl
3 speed man

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opakahum View Post
Turns out there are two connectors thru the firewall and I only saw the one about 4 inches right of the left hood hinges. The one directly under the left hood hinge had come completely unplugged. Have no idea how but now all is well after plugging it back in, plus ever since I have owned this car (maybe 30 days) it never had bright headlights. Now it does.

So sorry for all the drama. Thanks for your input RedStang. If you're living down there in the Kiamichi's I'm jealous.
Nice that it worked out.

At your local big box home improvement stores look in the electrical department for electrical contact cleaner. Its an aerosol can that is a cleaner and protective coating for contacts. I like to have a can handy when reassembling connectors. It cleans and drives out moisture, makes them easier to reassemble, and will make those connectors trouble free for years.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
Oddly enough, WD40 was actually designed to do this. Their name was "Water Displacer chemical mixture number 40". It helps clean and protect the contacts.
GT'sGT likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Anything with a volatile solvent will displace water. WD40 leaves a oily residue and that's not what you want here. The light petroleum solvents also attack rubber and you don't want that either.

Electrical contact cleaner is cheap, readily available, won't clog sitting on a shelf unused, and last most DIYers several years. Use the right tool for the job.
Charles Reeves likes this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Anything with a volatile solvent will displace water. WD40 leaves a oily residue and that's not what you want here. The light petroleum solvents also attack rubber and you don't want that either.

Electrical contact cleaner is cheap, readily available, won't clog sitting on a shelf unused, and last most DIYers several years. Use the right tool for the job.
WD40 is fine as well for this use as well as many others.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I agree that most of the horror stories about WD-40 are exaggerations. Out of desperation I have used WD-40 to solve electrical contact problems where official contact cleaners failed repeatedly. To my surprise it worked miraculously well and 10 years later the problem has not recurred. The box I was ready to throw away as useless works as good as it did 35 years ago when new. I also have an ongoing test of WD-40 evaporating in an open cup on top of our file cabinet. In the first 6 months 85% of the liquid mass evaporated and 3 full years later there is no hint of any sticky residue; just a light oil left behind. The liquid itself is not conductive so there is no problem with it causing short circuits when sprayed onto or inside anything. It may not always solve your problem but I have never had WD-40 cause any additional problems of its own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page