Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tony 64
  • 1 Post By 07redstang
  • 1 Post By Gt350HR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

turn signal cam failure

Turn signals both worked fine only the left turn would fail to cancel, the right would cancel. They both shined bright and green on the inst cluster, and the front and rear of the car.

So I purchased two of the pony whoever canceling pieces and thought I did a good job of getting it wired and in place to work correctly. But, now I have cancelling on both sides but no light on the console or the front or back lights but I can hear the flasher clicking. Flasher clicking no turn signal front or back or on the console.
So probably I should buy the entire turn signal unit but from who I wonder.

1966 Coupe
200 ci 6 cyl
3 speed man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019
GT Member

Really need more info on what you actually bought and from where so we can understand what tasks were involved in the installation.

If you messed with the connector, start there. You may have wires in the wrong position or the pins not fully seated and not making contact.

1968, hardtop, 289, C4, seafoam green.
1966, hardtop, 289, original 3 speed, on the road and fun to drive.
1968, hardtop, 200, 3 speed, in work.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019
GT Member

Was the plastic broken on the cam before you replaced it?
If mot then it could have only been 1 of the dowel pins on the back of the steering wheel not making contact with the cam?
Beechkid likes this.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

DW: purchased the turn signal canceller cam only from CJPonyParts.com. (Got two if something went wrong which I suppose it did, still have one) I did not unplug anything from the bottom of the steering shaft but I did of course cut the two wires at the very top of the old canceller cam to install the new canceller cam.

The only problem being addressed was that when I turned right the turn sig canceled. when i turned left it did not.

T64: Only removed the cam of which the top cancelling arm was lying in the bottom of the steering column. I have attached hopefully, a photo of the new cam and the underside of the steering wheel which shows the (i suppose, cancelers) they are there, but I am not sure that is what you are reffering to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turn sig canceler.png
Views:	28
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	612395  

1966 Coupe
200 ci 6 cyl
3 speed man
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Forgot to mention I really appreciate your help. And that the white thing was the only thing I replaced.

1966 Coupe
200 ci 6 cyl
3 speed man
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019
GT Member

Photo too small to see any detail.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
Failure to cancel can be from broken or worn plastic in the replaceable assembly. Many times this can be fixed by adjusting the metal cams that act on the plastic. These are located on the steering wheel.

Since you replaced the plastic and are getting the correct mechanical action, your problem should be electrical. Inspect the wiring on your new assembly and make sure it is identical to the one that you removed. Check wire splices for continuity and insulation. Check contacts for correct alignment and on-off when they are supposed to.

Lots of restoration parts are made in China and therefore have a high rate of defects.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opakahum View Post
DW:

T64: Only removed the cam of which the top cancelling arm was lying in the bottom of the steering column. I have attached hopefully, a photo of the new cam and the underside of the steering wheel which shows the (i suppose, cancelers) they are there, but I am not sure that is what you are reffering to.
OK, so you just replaced the top half of the cam, not the whole signal switch with all the wiring, if so then really only really 2 wires to connect.
Your picture is too small to see the detail but what I think I can see is that one of your cancelling pins on the wheel is lower than the other, (bottom one) which is probably where your problem initially was in the first place.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello All, Thank You for your contributions.

This is my feeble attempt to chronicle the resolution of this thread. I have only named where I purchased these parts because it was requested. I must say they ship quick and are cheap but on a 53 year old vehicle those should probably not be the topmost criteria for picking a vendor.

I took the picture of the cam at something like 3025pxX2250px or so with an iphone but upon further investigation the forum software busts it down to 150pxX150px because I am a rookie. Hmm.

I bought the canceller portion of the turn signal control from CJPony. There is about a 1/4" to cut and reconnect those two wires before they turn down into the shaft unless you unplug the 6 wires from the under the dash. Which on retrospect I should have tried. I spliced and soldered and insulated the wires and as stated above. I trimmed the connector pieces that go between the top and bottom of the turn signal but could only hear the flasher clicking and no lights flashing anywhere.

So I purchased the full unit from CJPony and all is well. Bright lights and cancellation both ways. I suppose based on my experience I would advise anyone to get the full unit, it takes less time to install and the results were in my case all I could ask for.

Right after I posted this I clicked on a guys thumbnail that had 12 posts and was a rookie, his photo filled the page.

Thank You All, again

1966 Coupe
200 ci 6 cyl
3 speed man

Last edited by opakahum; 12-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.
PONY Member

Glad you got it fixed
opakahum likes this.

PONY Member

I never had luck replacing the cam only ( with an aftermarket piece) I replace the whole assembly now. More expensive but dead reliable. An electrical short under the steering wheel could cost you your entire car.
Randy
opakahum likes this.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page