• 1 Post By Grimbrand
  • 2 Post By Grimbrand
  • 1 Post By paul289
  • 1 Post By paul289

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

03 F150 Harley engine swap into Stang

Good evening! First time posting and am curious if anyone has any knowledge about trying to get my son's wrecked 2003 Harley engine (5.4L 2v supercharged) into an older Mustang for my oldest son. He is in the Army and is truly one of the finest young men I know. I wasn't able to help him much when he turned 16 and he ended up with one of our old work trucks... He didn't mind at all, but I would love to do something for him. My youngest son had an accident and rolled the Harley over. I was able to keep the salvaged truck and it still runs perfectly. Any ideas or opinions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Arch, while this swap is possible, it requires a lot of dedication, hard work, and money.

To fit the engine in an early 'Stang, the entire front end of the car must be cut up to remove the shock towers. Then, the front suspension must be replaced with a Mustang II type front suspension (which doesn't require shock towers). That makes the front end very floppy and weak, which requires a lot of additional frame bracing to support. The new engine produces enough power to bend the rest of your frame, so you'll need subframe braces too. Your rear end will need to be upgraded to a 9", and you'll probably want some traction aids to prevent wheelhop. The driveshaft and suspension mounts have to be swapped out too, and there's a lot of wiring involved.

In the end, this swap usually costs a minimum of about 10k, if you do most of the work yourself, and already own the engine.

IMHO, the end result is a nice fast car, but you can achieve superior results with a pushrod Windsor. My advice? Sell the 5.4 for a small fortune, and build a wicked aluminum-block 347 or 427 Windsor. It'll fit better, you can keep the original frame bracing, enjoy superior front end geometry and ride quality, lighter overall weight, and even more power than your supercharged engine with better reliability.

Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019
PONY Member

I think it will be some work but it will be worth it for a son you love so much. Projects that are unique lead to unique outcomes and this could be a very fun project.
Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019
Apprentice

Garage
You didn't mention what year "older" Mustang, so I'll assume you're still on the hunt for one. The newer "mod motors" are as wide as the old big blocks, so you'll want to find a car that had a big block engine as an option. It's still gonna require A LOT of fab work to get it in there, but it can be done. I saw this swap done in a '69, it was very tight under the hood, but it did run like a scared rabbit.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
They are *wider* than the big blocks. In fact, similar to the Boss 429. Not as heavy though.
Beechkid and imps like this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Could go with a Griggs front suspension. You can have it in for about $7k if you use stock SN95 Mustang brakes and steering rack, and then you'll also have much improved steering feel and handling to overcome the extra weight of the supercharged 5.4. I was able to install mine without a bunch of specialized tools in my garage. A spotweld cutter (for removing the shock towers), clamps, hand tools, angle grinder, and welder are all I really needed. I also doubt it would fit under the stock hood, so you'll likely need a cowl hood of some sort.

Another consideration would be transmission fitment. A T45 would probably fit best in the tunnel, but likely wouldn't hold up to the abuse. A TKO would last much better, but the tunnel would need some massaging, particularly the crossmember that goes over the transmission. A T56 would need the transmission hum basically cut out entirely and rebuilt, or lifted up and have segments filled in. I'm personally fond of taking an SN95 transmission tunnel and grafting that in, partially because it'll also have a tunnel-mount hand brake mount already there. If you want to go automatic, I wanna say that your F150 has a 4R100, which is massive and probably won't fit in a stock trans tunnel. But I think you can get a C6 with a Mod motor bellhousing to fit up to your engine.
Grimbrand likes this.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
The case for a C6 is integral to the bellhousing! Did you mean C4, Paul, or did they sneak in some interesting C6 stuff when I wasn't looking?

With modern parts, a C4 is in every way comparable to a C6 anyway, except that it's smaller, lighter, and steals less power. I know they make mod-motor bellhousings for them. They're really good for a 3-speed automatic.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Thought I saw somewhere that there was a C6 with a Mod motor bellhousing. Well, the FMX also has a removable bellhousing, and they can be built up to 500hp or so. E4OD is probably too big. But an AODE or 4R70W can be built to take 700+hp, and those fit just fine.
Grimbrand likes this.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page