Factory Original 1965 Paint Oddity - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Factory Original 1965 Paint Oddity

This year I inherited my dads 65 coupe which he bought new in 1965. It is the car that I learned to drive in when I was 16 years old, I;m 60 now. The car is factory original including, paint, interior, body panels, engine, <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> etc. It lives in the same garage today at my moms house that it did in 65. It has 69,000 original miles on it. It is Rangoon Red, black interior and has the 200HP 289. (2 barrel) This car has a rare engine paint combination which we have wondered about for many years. The engine is painted silver, the valve covers orange and the air cleaner is gold. So the block and valve covers are not correct. We have had serious Mustang guys say that they assume that because production of the car in 65 was through the roof that the plants may have run out of the proper paints and other colours were used to keep up to production on the assembly lines. This is only theory and no one has ever given us a definitive answer and have never heard if there are others out there. If you have any concrete info, let me know.

Factory Original 1965 Paint Oddity-008-copy.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mustang65 - Copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	612563  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Here is the car before I rolled it on its roof in the post above

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mustang65 - Copy.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	612567  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by profisher View Post
Here is the car before I rolled it on its roof in the post above
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I hope someone can answer your question about the paint colors but the theory sounds pretty good

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019
GT Member

The Mustang Restoration Guide shows a gold air cleaner with black snout on a 2V 289, and gold valve covers.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019
BOSS Member

OMG....Literally the same story here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure you know this and appreciate the car beyond what one can convey here..... despite what we all see on the TV car shows & mags.... original or semi-original muscle cars will always be of immense value and desire....not that they can't be modded but as long as it is easily returnable to the original state. The gold air cleaner as stated was most likely factory....but Dad may have come across one that was given to him by someone who was going to put a oval cobra style air cleaner on one and back in the days, no one kept those...most ended up in the trash! The orange valve covers...I bet if you can remove the top layer of paint, you'll find the original color underneath....

Something to remember....

Up through the 60's & early 70's, vehicles were not ordered as they aretoday. Yes, if you ordered package "X" it would come with 1, 2,3.....but, you could also delete specific items within the package. As anexample, our mustang (which has been in the family since it was new), whenordered as a GT, my parents really didn't like "trumpet tips" throughthe rear pan so the dual exhaust was a "delete" (as shown on theoriginal order papers which we still have) and upon delivery, it was off to themuffler shop for a set of pipes.......a very common practice- which because ofthis it is not impossible, but I will say it is much more"challenging" to not so much verify something is a factory GT byhaving all of the items listed, but more difficult to verify it is not..andFord was not the only one doing this either, a very common practice by the Big3.

Dealers also dealt with qualitycontrol issues....and had a pre-approved budget by the mfg's to effectrepairs....there are documented stories and pics where mustangs were deliveredto the dealers with the trunk lids wrapped and sitting in the backseat....Customers could also pay an additional fee (typically $300) for thedealer to "special prep" the car prior to customer delivery...whileeach had a different name they called it...basically the dealer had the mech'sgo through the cars from nose to tail checking every single part, fit &finish...making it right. These cars typically looked, ran like fine tunedmachines as a result...you could see, feel the difference.

My neighbor worked for GM inLong Beach, Ca back in the 70's, and clearly recalls special order deletes,hand carried orders to install "X" cylinder head on a particular car-he also recalls there was seldom more than a week went by that the cylinderheads didn't change (as far as port matching/sizing/shape)- as it was alldependent on the supplier and that varied by each shipment….or someone wantedtheir pickup painted the color that was offered on a particular car…..not aproblem as long as it was built at the same plant (for an extra charge ofcourse)- which also explains a few very, very unique ID plates.

While it is a wonderful thing to have a variety of people who have done suchexhaustive research on these and other vehicles, we must also remember that thecustomer service and deliverables of the time were much, much different thantoday and paperwork, was, well, not the focus. This has lead to benefit us(especially in Calif) who became exempted from smog testing/cert because of theabsence (disposal/non-retention) of documentation of our cars, but in allreality, even if all the paperwork did exist, it wouldn't do little to validatemuch more than is known today about the cars- because the paperwork was not apriority, delivering what the customer wanted was.

There were also 4 HiPo 289’s….the common (HiPo) 271 hp, and the 306 hp availableonly in the GT350R, producing 350 horsepower, weighed 75 fewer pounds, andfeatured an enlarged fuel tank (34 gallon vs. 18) for racing. With “specialheads”, a super-duty suspension, racing tires and more, it was offered in 1965only......just an FYI
With regards to part suppliers..... I'm betting you guys have done most all of your own maintenance work and if you have a need, I have maintained an e-list of every parts supplier we have ever used (family has a racing history going back to the 40's). If you ever need brakes for the car...I highly recommend CarboTech….(I have used these on every vehicle we have since the 80's when VelvaTouch was pulled off the market)……. and VelvaTouch is what our Mustang came with....
The linings run about $200 a pair but are well worth it both in wear, cleanliness and "bite" (braking co-efficient- .49)...I can and have demo'd hitting the brakes at almost 100 mph (private road) and the car stopped effectively and straight as a dime (4 wheel drum brakes).

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profisher View Post
This year I inherited my dads 65 coupe which he bought new in 1965. It is the car that I learned to drive in when I was 16 years old, I;m 60 now. The car is factory original including, paint, interior, body panels, engine, <acronym title="transmission"><acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym></acronym> etc. It lives in the same garage today at my moms house that it did in 65. It has 69,000 original miles on it. It is Rangoon Red, black interior and has the 200HP 289. (2 barrel) This car has a rare engine paint combination which we have wondered about for many years. The engine is painted silver, the valve covers orange and the air cleaner is gold. So the block and valve covers are not correct. We have had serious Mustang guys say that they assume that because production of the car in 65 was through the roof that the plants may have run out of the proper paints and other colours were used to keep up to production on the assembly lines. This is only theory and no one has ever given us a definitive answer and have never heard if there are others out there. If you have any concrete info, let me know.

Attachment 612565
NOT A CHANCE. Engines were ALL prebuilt at the Cleveland engine plant and shipped to the various car assembly plants. They were all built and painted to strict specifications. No chance for a variant except "some" late production '65s got "blue" engines instead of black and gold. There "were" some '62 260s that were painted silver but very few and only for use in a very early Cobra.
Randy

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

I know with 100% certainty that my dad never changed anything from original except for parts that wore out...water pump, mufflers, battery, tires,brakes etc. and being a past race car driver/truck driver and monkey wrench did the work himself. The only changes he made were the rally wheels which he bought only a few years ago. I hoped he still saved the original caps but they are gone...he obviously was never going to put them back on so he sold them. The other 2 changes were adding correct power brakes and steering as the car was originally manual both. As far as engine work, thermostat, valve seals and carb rebuild, water pump ...that is it. He knew about the paint oddity back to the 70's when the car started to become a collector and others who knew more than he did mentioned it to him. This car was bought new in 1965 from Olsen Motors in Victoria, BC Canada. The bill of sale is still with the car. He originally went to the dealership with my mom to look at and buy a Falcon. Mom wandered the lot while he talked to a salesman...she spotted the Mustang. The rest is history.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019
Apprentice

Try to document the number off of the block, that might provide some insight. Perhaps the engine was blown before the car left the lot, due to shenanigans or such, then was replaced with what the dealer had on hand.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Beechkid...the proper colour air cleaner has been on the car since day one as have the valve covers. There are small spots around the bolts where the metal is bare from spinning the bolts to replace gaskets and there is no gold paint under the orange. The block has been silver since day one as well. I washed, waxed, vacuumed, did the oil /filter changes and greased the car long before I was old enough to drive it. Probably why he left it to me and why of the 3 kids in the family I was the only one who was allowed to drive it at 16. My brother and sister have yet to ever drive it. I remember the block being silver from day one and how oil used to ooze out on the drivers side of the block and settle in a pocket of the water pump housing. It did that for years but dad figured that one out and fixed it a few years back...the oil was really noticeable with the silver block. A professional appraiser who looked at it in 1991 said he has heard of these cars existing but had never seen one. He offered no reason for them existing. I had the car appraised this summer for insurance purposes and was given a $28,000 CDN value.
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Profisher, that's a pretty cool mystery, and it's neat that you've been around to see it from the start. I've got no information, but I am sure curious about the why and how of it too.
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
PONY Member

Do you have a better pic of under the hood that's not blurry? There are a lot of non factory parts under the hood. Battery cables, the rubber boot, overflow tank, radiator cap, valve cover air breather, etc... The engine looks to have been repainted, as was the water pump when it was replaced.

Apprentice

Garage
FWIW my 6 cylinder engine in my '65 has a black block with an orange valve cover. I've been told by a few different people that the engines weren't painted blue til '66.
PONY Member

Black is the proper engine color for 64.5-65 engines . Valve covers and air cleaner colors varied by engine size. 260s had orange/red and 289s had gold. Hipos were chrome.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Along with the 260s, some of the '64 Fairlane and full-sized Ford 289s also had the 'red' valve covers which looked more orange than red.
Beechkid likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Here is another pic I found which is clearer and taken from inside the garage. Yes he did touch up the block and painted the pump with silver paint to clean it up....but was a colour match not a change. He added the overflow container more recently because it often puked coolant if kept topped up. I might remove it or at least disconnect it and see if its worth worrying about and then remove it. Battery cables I'm going to replace with the the correct ones as well as the rad cap. Since the pic was taken I have added the period correct fake battery top to make it look like the original battery. There is an inline fuse at the starter solenoid which is for a under dash volt meter/oil pressure gauge set he installed when the car was new. He wanted to be able to see oil pressure the volts just came with the set he bought. Breather cap...that is something I'm not sure if he changed. Not a part that wears out so doubt it. I included a pic of the interior..you can see the gauge set under the dash. The interior is complete stock except for one repair...someone might spot it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005 - Copy.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	612573   Click image for larger version

Name:	030 - Copy.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	612575  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page