• 4 Post By Grimbrand
  • 2 Post By ONEZ ST
  • 1 Post By Yadkin
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member

A heater hose question

Years ago I got tired of crawling under the dash to get to the heater hose connections behind the glove box on my '66 289. So I cut them off under the hood, leaving a bit sticking out, and put brass unions in them. I just replaced the hoses under the hood and am wondering if I should do something about the old short sections hooked to the heater core.

I know I can buy a new heater core with extensions that stick through the firewall. At 76 years old, I would not look forward to the work required to replace it, although I have had no problem doing things just as difficult lately.

imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019
GT Member

I really don't see the point of making a join under the hood. If the hoses need replacing then eventually you have to replace the shorter section at the core.
It is not a lot of work really to remove the heater box, just requires an awkward position on the floor to get to it.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 64 View Post
I really don't see the point of making a join under the hood. If the hoses need replacing then eventually you have to replace the shorter section at the core.
It is not a lot of work really to remove the heater box, just requires an awkward position on the floor to get to it.
Yea, it's that "awkward position on the floor" that is getting more difficult for me to do. Taking the seat out makes it easier, and it's just four bolts. I can still crawl under the car fairly easily; getting back up just takes longer these days.
Tony 64, Grimbrand and imps like this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Charles, you rock. I don't know about everyone else, but you sure inspire me to get out and work on stuff. With zero insult intended here, I always think "Charles is older than you, and HE'D go out and fix it. What are you wasting time for?" *grin*

Well done, sir.
kevstang, Yadkin, Tony 64 and 1 others like this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I would fork over $ for labor. I'm not in my 70s but when my hip and knee joints act up things not only take longer, they downright hurt. And with half your body twisted on the floorboard and the other half hanging out . . . . words begin to flow deserving of ivory soap.
kevstang and Grimbrand like this.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Charles, you rock. I don't know about everyone else, but you sure inspire me to get out and work on stuff. With zero insult intended here, I always think "Charles is older than you, and HE'D go out and fix it. What are you wasting time for?" *grin*

Well done, sir.
Older and wiser.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Garage
In five years I'll be 65 and retired. I'm planning a small addition on my house and included in that will be an expansion to the back of my garage to make an expanded work room. My wife will sell her daily driver so I'll have room in the garage and adjacent enclosed area under the deck for our daily driver, my '64 TBird, and a project car. The garage is heated with waste heat from the boiler and I have a propane heater in the enclosure.

I plan on working on cars until I can't get out of bed. I don't have to make money at it so I can take my time. It's a lot more fun as a hobby instead of being a 17 year old kid who had to ride a ten speed bike to the parts store if you need something while making a repair. You can plan out stuff, leave something apart while waiting for a special part to come in. You can prepare a warm, well-lit work area instead of crawling under a car in the snow in your parents driveway.

I may even get one of those low lifts that are hidden under the floor slab. Pick up the car about 4 feet and us an old office chair to roll around under it.
Grimbrand likes this.

2005 4.0 MT dual exhaust GT mufflers GT suspension and wheels
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT'sGT View Post
Older and wiser.

You're not wrong, GT. But then I often also think, "Does this sound like something GT would say? Because I don't want to seem offensive and rude to everyone!"

*wry grin*
Yadkin likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
You're not wrong, GT. But then I often also think, "Does this sound like something GT would say? Because I don't want to seem offensive and rude to everyone!"

*wry grin*
That is an old phrase I was quoting, not meaning you in particular.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reeves View Post
am wondering if I should do something about the old short sections hooked to the heater core.
If there is a core that has the pipes sticking thru the firewall I am interested. If there isn't one, the next time I change the core I will consider extending them. Because the hose from the core thru the firewall is all I ever need to change.

If you will go to the bottom of the linked album and then back up thirteen pics, you will see that all my heater "hose" forward of the firewall is copper pipe.

https://goo.gl/photos/PPcZpByXAgfp8kTk6
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member

Apprentice

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to jsh13
I put the core with the longer copper tubes into my 66, also so I could attach the hoses from the engine compartment. (same link to CJ, I originally bought one from my local Mustang shop but the tubes were off by more than a quarter inch and wouldn't fit through the heater box.)
https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...7-1968/p/HC26/

Pictures showing how much hose I got to cut off, the first (wrong) core and also installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2758.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	612667   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2756.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	612671   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4264.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	612673  

---
JeffH
66 Coupe
302, 4V, SROD 4-spd

Last edited by jsh13; 12-29-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: forgot original core pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in