Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 2 Post By Grimbrand

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

neutral safety back up switch 3 speed manual

Greetings,

The car is a 1966 Mustang Coupe, 200 ci 6 cylinder with 3 speed on the floor. It has the backup light switch on the driver side of the transmission. Have a new one ordered as this one died. It is definitley original equipment. It does not have a neutral safety switch. I have done a lot of searching and only find NSS references for automatic trans. Is there anything available for the manual trans? Or if not, something that would require the clutch to be engaged to start?

The wiring for the BU switch has 12 volts to ground on one wire but the other wire does not seem to go to ground. All the wiring in the trunk is connected but the two light fixtures are shot. Also have ordered new fixtures. Once the new fixtures and switch are installed perhaps the circuit will complete. That is my wish list.

Thank you anyone and everyone that reads and or responds to these query's.

1966 Coupe
200 ci 6 cyl
3 speed man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020
BOSS Member

no manual trans had a neutral safety switch until around 1990

Grimbrand likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Opakahum, while you could possibly rig some kind of interrupt to the starter circuit from the clutch, my advice to you is "don't". Keeping the system simple ensures reliability. Being in the habit of checking to see that you're in neutral AND pushing in the clutch to start is always a good habit, anyway! Just part and parcel for driving a manual car. =)

It cracks me up, but I hear this more and more: "The best anti-theft system these days is a manual transmission."
Beechkid and johnwaz3661 like this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020
BOSS Member

It might be just me....but even when I went through EVOC training and heavy equipment driving school and good old drivers training in high school.....we always had it drilled into us always depress the clutch prior to starting engine.....my dad & mom (everybodies) drill that into us as well.....IMHO....back when they started putting those switches on the clutch pedal I thought to myself....if you really need that to keep you safe.....and protect others...you shouldn't have a drivers license! or a bicycle or maybe not even a birth certificate!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago
PONY Member

Garage
I don't know if you got your back up lights working yet. There should be a 2 wire pigtail on your back up switch and another 2 wire plug on a wiring harness hanging in that area. One wire in the harness goes to battery + and the other side goes to the backup lights. I think the addition of the clutch safety switch was a plan to prep people for the slow demise of the manual transmissions (now a special option instead of the automatic).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in