67 289 transmission and radiator leaks - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Seay67
  • 1 Post By Tony 64
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

67 289 transmission and radiator leaks

My 67 coupe is in pretty good condition but I have a couple issues that are probably fairly simple fixes but cant seem to find them. One, I have a radiator leak that is dripping on the engine block which is creating a small pool. I'm thinking it might be a bad gasket and I just need to replace it or the main line needs to be tightened, but at the moment I cant seem to figure out where it is coming from. And two, I have a moderate transmission leak on the passenger side of the car which I also cant find. If anyone has any suggestions on what to check or what might be the issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seay67 View Post
My 67 coupe is in pretty good condition but I have a couple issues that are probably fairly simple fixes but cant seem to find them. One, I have a radiator leak that is dripping on the engine block which is creating a small pool. I'm thinking it might be a bad gasket and I just need to replace it or the main line needs to be tightened, but at the moment I cant seem to figure out where it is coming from. And two, I have a moderate transmission leak on the passenger side of the car which I also cant find. If anyone has any suggestions on what to check or what might be the issue I'd greatly appreciate it.
A radiator leaking cannot leak on the engine block.......in is in FRONT of the engine. So, if you mean a leak is present seen on the engine, it might be a heater hose, intake manifold gasket, cooled carb spacer, water pump or it's hoses, timing chain cover, expansion plug in the block.

Transmission leak on right side often results from leaking fitting securing the dipstick tube to the pan. Try tightening it.

Rookie

there is a tool made that will pressurize the cooling system, which should make the leak obvious. it fits onto the radiator where the cap normally goes. clean the tranny off with brake cleaner, let it dry, start it up, this will make the leak more apparent. a hoist helps so you can get under it and see things better

GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Passenger leaks on the C4 are *usually* a problem with the dipstick seal, and while messy, it's thankfully a pretty easy fix.

When you say 'dripping on the block' if it's up by the intake, under the upper radiator hose, your thermostat housing gasket may be to blame, or possibly the upper hose itself. If your radiator hoses feel 'crunchy', rock hard, or soft and squishy when you squeeze them, it is time for new ones!

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
GT Member

The leak on the block is probably only the thermostat hosing gasket to the inlet manifold.
The trans leak could be the dipstick tube seal or a pipe fitting that just needs to be nipped up.
Best way is to clean or degrease the area, dust some talc powder on and inspect regularly to find the leak.
Grimbrand likes this.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread 23 Minutes Ago
Rookie

A cooling system pressure tester is very helpful for finding small leaks that are otherwise hard to find. They're not expensive; I got mine used on Ebay. It's one of those things that once you have it, you won't know how you did without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in