Ford Mustang Forum banner

1968 302 starting issue

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  glnn 
#1 ·
Hi all !
New to this page , i have a 1968 302 , autolite 2 barrel carb , climat choke and point ignition.

when i bough the car it was running great , after about 2-3 weeks after i went to fill it up , since then its been running really bad. No power when on throttle , and now it wont start. It will crank sometimes but i get some puffing vapors out of the carb when cranking.

i checked and rechecked the timing , changed spark plugs and wires , rebuild the carb adjusted the float to spec. I am getting spark to spark plugs but might be weak spark

anyone wanna help !??

thanks a bunch !!!

#3 ·
Getting new wires if the old ones were shot was a good start. Check all your electrical connections for corrosion next. If your plugs are good, the cap and rotor are in good shape, then go to the cheap parts like points and condenser. If those are fine, check your coil. If none of those are the problem, work on your swearing vocabulary and check everything again, including the actual ignition switch. Don't forget to look at simple stuff like the battery terminals and grounds!

#4 ·
Another really simple thing I thought of - is the hold-down clamp on your dizzy loose?If you can turn your distributor by hand, it may have just slipped and the timing's off. Or could be a vacuum hose has a leak?

#7 ·
I too would go with a load of bad fuel. Water or something else is in there.

First I would try swapping out the fuel filter and add some water remover additive to your tank (Heet). If there is a small amount of water in the tank this may correct the problem.

If it is not corrected, siphon some fuel into a clear container. Let the fuel sit for a while and see if it separates. If it does and there is a significant amount of water the problem will quickly return. It will require you to have to drain the tank.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.