Ford Mustang Forum banner

Rim options for a 65?

525 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Frznrth 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a beat up 65 with 5 bolt rims. It has some rusty old mags on it with tires that need replacing.

I like the look of some of the 65 hubcaps and also like the 65 mags. I don’t like the prices though.

I’m hoping you can let me know what my cheapest options might be for new rims with hubcaps or mags.

I’m not concerned about keeping it looking original - something from a newer car would be fine if that’s possible as long as it looks decent and of course fits. I know I need the right backspacing - 120mm?

Thanks for your help

#5 ·
Thanks for the chart.

Are there any “modern” mags that would have the right backspacing and bolt pattern?

Why aren’t the plates a good idea? I’m seeing expensive ones like these that give me 1”

https://www.themustangshop.ca/product/10558915/658559

A tire shop says he can get me plates for $30 each that would work. Sounds to good to be true. Are just the cheap ones to be avoided?

#6 ·
There are a couple of issues with the plates. Issue one is that if there's any imperfection in it, either side-to-side or concentrically, you've now got a wobble or vibration. Issue two is that you've got twice as many studs and nuts to fail. You won't find many racers running 'em. All of that said though, they work fine.

It's just usually better and cheaper to get wheels you like that fit right without using spacers. They don't have to be expensive to work, but even at $30 a pop, I'd be annoyed at having to buy them.

Not sure what you mean by "modern" really - there are so many designs out there. Some are modern takes on old rims, and with so many styles out there, it's not like you'll see your wheels on another ride every day no matter what you have. My advice to you is to stick between 14" and 17", and find something you like the look of that you can afford. With the lockdown going on, at least you have plenty of time to find a style that you like! =)

#7 ·
Thanks
I’d rather not add in spacers.

By Modern I meant that I’d like to find a set of rims from a present day car - any make - that would fit my 65. I think this would be my best chance to find something cheap and hopefully decent looking.

Ideally I’d like a set of mags that look like the original 65 or 66s but this isn’t in my present budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.