Help suspension NIGHTMARE - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Help suspension NIGHTMARE

Hello, my dad purchased a 65 mustang a while back and after we painted it and got all new parts for it, were having a tough time with what the previously owner had done to the suspension. To start, the car is an original 6cyl base car that had been swapped with what I've found out is an 82 5.0l motor and has a 5lug axle swap. Well, in the pictures below, you can start to see the problem. They Jerry rigged some tubing in to hold the steering rack in and IT DOES NOT WORK at all for holding the wheels in strait! No matter what we do, as soon as the car starts to roll, the camber and alignment of tires goes wacky! We cant keep it strait or drive it how it is. We finally have car running right, looking good and cant figure out what exactly we need. We do have access to a lift and have pretty good mechanical skills so please help. I'm guessing we need a K member specific for this 5.0l swap. But which one? Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15885090753217589510481193969238_1588509107411.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	614299   Click image for larger version

Name:	15885091550093731006244811596600_1588509195468.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	614301   Click image for larger version

Name:	15885092076153877283934652944904_1588509222409.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	642.1 KB
ID:	614303  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Wow, that's a whole new level of engineering. Got no suggestions that would be easy.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GT Member

Why would you not, simply drop all of that unconventional "stuff" and start with a factory steering and suspension system? In doing so, plan on adding the Shelby UCA mod. Maybe, I don't get what you're wanting to do?
Beechkid and Grimbrand like this.

Ken
Severna Park, MD
1964 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt Resto-Mod
333 cu.in, dual Webers, CI cam, TW heads,TRI-Ys, 3.55 rear, T5z, TCP susp., real leather seating

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Tell me about it!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
Why would you not, simply drop all of that unconventional "stuff" and start with a factory steering and suspension system? In doing so, plan on adding the Shelby UCA mod. Maybe, I don't get what you're wanting to do?
yes thsts definitely where were gonna start. The problem is it is a factory 6cy car and the factory stuff doesnt work with the 302 motor and 5lug axle swap that was installed. All this was before he bought it. So we are trying to figure out the best way to go about getting this on the road. I'll check out the shelby mod. I was hoping someone here has done this swap and had exactly what I'd need to make this work
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
That's some serious Billy Bob & Jethro engineeriing. Good luck with getting that mess straightened out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

The factory steering can work with a later model 5.0. All you have to do is change the oil pan and pickup for a front sump setup.

Otherwise, your options are to use a Mustang II K-member or go Griggs Racing. If you just want something to cruise around in, I'd say go for the oil pan. Mustang II setup is OK, but won't handle any better than the factory setup, and requires the same level of installation effort as a Griggs setup, which will put you in proper sports car handling territory.
Beechkid and johnwaz3661 like this.

Proud owner of a '65 289 coupe. Equipped with Edelbrock Performer intake, Quick Fuel 680HR carb, ported stock heads, 282 Magnum solid cam, Hedman longtube headers, MSD ignition, and decked and ported heads. T5 transmission with hydraulic clutch. Griggs Racing GR350 suspension. 8.8 rear end. Griggs front & Wilwood rear brakes. Many more mods to come!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
Everyone else has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Get a front sump oil pan and pickup, then the stock crossmember works fine. Get rid of the wonky steering rack, put in a factory V8 drag link, steering box, and tie rods.

I don't know why anyone thought that hanging your steering stuff at ground level was a good idea. What's supposed to happen when you hit a bump? Not to mention the tie rods are at about a 45 degree angle even when the suspension's at rest. That's the most impressively bad steering setup I have ever seen on a Mustang!

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Whoever built that should be in hand cuffs and never allowed to use tools again. A real "Darwin Award " winner.
momarlon, Beechkid and Grimbrand like this.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post

I don't know why anyone thought that hanging your steering stuff at ground level was a good idea. !
Why Grimbrand….that's what we call a "Front Splitter" from the "Forged in Iron" crowd~! Available in any finish, including "patina", where finer performance products are sold!
Grimbrand likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

In all seriousness though, because you really don't know what else has been done correctly/incorrectly as others have suggested, I would get all oem style replacement parts for a V8....sure you can also do the Shelby drop (you can google this- it's basically free), and you can start from a foundation of this is where it should be and this is how things should look, work, function.... and if you have to troubleshoot, this will be very easy and direct since all the oem specs are readily available (alignment, component positioning, range of operation, etc.) and parts are readily available... as compared if you go aftermarket....have an issue, you may very well not know if it was caused by unknown work of the previous "genius" or the aftermarket component...… that's always fun to trouble shoot that out!

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
I would also like to mention that "rack and pinion" is not necessarily any better in regard to feel or performance, compared to the original type steering box on these cars. In fact, the original equipment tends to last a lot longer. The main reason they switched to R&P in modern cars is because it was cheap and simple to manufacture. Chocostang is a great place to turn to for original type steering equipment that works right. I am a big fan of the 'quick ratio' box that was also used with power steering, even if you go with a manual rack.

It does make for a little effort in turning when at a stop, but it is a lot less complicated than power steering, and offers great feel once you're moving. These cars are light enough in the nose that even when at a dead stop, with the original steering wheel, you won't need a gym membership to turn the wheels. Your average teenage girl can drive one just fine. With an FE motor (big block) and much wider-than-stock tires, you'll want the power steering.
Beechkid and johnwaz3661 like this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

They obviously weren't thinking about "bump steer".

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt350HR View Post
They obviously weren't thinking about "bump steer".
Sure they were....hit bump, it then steers (where it wants to)
Grimbrand likes this.

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Garage
Hey do yourself a favor and dump all of that suspension and steering, they are right that is some "Jethro" stuff there and you don't want to risk your life or your ride. Go get yourself a take apart and exploded diagram of the stock set up and see what you can salvage from that if anything and what you need. It will never steer correctly if you don't have stock components or better. Go with a kit from CJ pony parts or PST Engineering. Consider a disc brake conversion for the front. That is pretty easy stuff to remove and re-install.
I did a 67 from ground up - all new suspension and brakes. left the steering stock and it rides nice. Replace any and all grommets, bushings and wear parts such as ball joints, etc... Good luck.
Here are some help links-
1965 1966 Ford Mustang V8 w/ Manual Steering Front End Suspension Rebuild Kit - www.a-resto-parts.com

https://p-s-t.com/c-1145188-suspensi...uild-kits.html

https://www.cjponyparts.com/supreme-...-1966/p/SUSK3/

1967 Fastback (original 289 car)
1990 5.0L & T-5, CompCam, Edlebrock Performer, Holley 650DP
MSD Ignition
Headers - Dual H pipe exhaust
American Racing Torque Thrust D
Alpine Stereo with Yamaha and Alpine Amps
PST Poly Graphite Suspension kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page