Ford Mustang Forum banner

GT Trumpet Tips for 2.25 pipe

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  snaranjo 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a source of GT trumpet tips exhaust ends that would fit on 2.25 inch pipe. The ones I have are for 2 inch pipes, The restso shop installing 2.25 pipe from headers to muffler and then 2 inch from back of muffler to trumpets. This effectively results in a 2 inch system for a stroked 302 making 410 HP. I feel this thing needs to breath better but I love the trumpet tip look and would like to keep it original. Maybe someone is doing these custom as searches all turn up the Scott Drake 2 inch tips that they say can be "stretched" to 2.25 but would stsill give effectsively a 2 inch outlet

Thanks

#2 ·
If you are getting an honest 410 horses out of a 302, why are you putting those trumpet tips on? Good lord, you must be spinning that thing to 7500 RPMs! Your exhaust velocity would be high enough to blow those tips all the way to Kansas when you wing it, if you don't cut all the little louvers out (which kind of defeats the purpose imho).

Just for the record, I did a bunch of looking for you too, and I can't find any 2.5" ones either. I'm guessing that this is because they were for looks, but put a real damper on performance! You could probably make some fairly easily though, if you weld 'em up and chrome them yourself.

Also - I do love the way they look. Still just trying to wrap my head around 410 horses on a 302! That's pretty stout. =) Is it boosted or N/A?

#4 ·
If you are getting an honest 410 horses out of a 302, why are you putting those trumpet tips on? Good lord, you must be spinning that thing to 7500 RPMs! Your exhaust velocity would be high enough to blow those tips all the way to Kansas when you wing it, if you don't cut all the little louvers out (which kind of defeats the purpose imho).

Just for the record, I did a bunch of looking for you too, and I can't find any 2.5" ones either. I'm guessing that this is because they were for looks, but put a real damper on performance! You could probably make some fairly easily though, if you weld 'em up and chrome them yourself.

Also - I do love the way they look. Still just trying to wrap my head around 410 horses on a 302! That's pretty stout. =) Is it boosted or N/A?

Grimbrand, its a 302 stroker - actually a 347 Smeding. A 302 making 410 HP would be pretty sick! In my defense, I put the trumpets on with the original restoration when it had a plain-jane 289. WHen I upgraded to the Smeding I just left them there. Everyone who hears the car idle tells me I need to dump those trumpets but I really like the look. I've seen a thread somewhere where a guy fabricated some trumpets to fit a bigger exhaust but I don't have those kind of mad skills. The local muffler shop that works on a lot of classics told me they could install some nice flared tips and cut them to match the profile of the valance. Maybe that's the route?

Reactions: Grimbrand
#5 ·
Good observation Ivy.

#6 ·
Snaranjo, if you bought a $50 set of the trumpets, cut the 'flare' off the 2" pipe so that it's the right size to weld to a 2 1/4" pipe, and cut out the louvers, you might have exactly what you need. =)

Any shop that has a pipe bender could mock it up with the factory pipes so that you have a 2 1/4" version of the original 2" pipe.

#7 ·
I like that idea. Simple and elegant!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.