1966 Mustang Whats Missing? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

1966 Mustang Whats Missing?

Hello, my name is Ryan and I am new to this site, I came here because I am in need of some help. I am helping a friend who has no knowledge of cars in any means and well, I know a handful of things. This car was my friends dad and well he past away and left the restoration for his son, my friend. So i am wanting to help him complete this restoration for his father and since I dont know it all, I would like for you guys to help me out . My first last question is what is missing from the engine bay, that will not allow the engine to be working? I know its a plain and general question but i noticed theres wires missing, fans, belts, pulleys and well I would like to know the specifics so i can begin on putting this thing together. Below are 3 pictures I just took and well I would like if anyone can spot something out that needs to be there, or have questions about specifics please ask. This is a 1966 Mustang Fastback with a 289, Auto Transmission. Please feel free to ask any questions. I would like to thank those who reply. (The engine has compression as well as the main pulley turns. I have the original starter and a new batter. I know it needs battery leads.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0004.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	739.2 KB
ID:	130397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg
Views:	1034
Size:	789.3 KB
ID:	130398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	705.8 KB
ID:	130399  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011
PONY Member
Classic Member

Not sure if it is a power steering car or not but there is no power steering pump, alternator, water pump, upper radiator hose, water pump pulley, fan, fan spacer, fan belts, spark plug wires. If you are missing all these parts and if you are going to be upgrading the car later on, now would be the time to buy some performance parts, like 8-9mm wires like msd 8.5, and maybe a good water pump like edelbrock and a high amp alternator.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

yea i know it needs plugs and wires sofar, ill looks for some good ones with copper inserts. I am not sure if it has PS. How Will i be able to check? I found a wire diagram on the site so that will help a lot. I am assuming most the of the brackets/mounts for these are missing too? If anyone needs a different picture angle please let me know. I am currently pulling out the carpet because it is faded and rough, anyone know of a way to get an original looking carpet for it?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011
PONY Member
Classic Member

It probably doesn't have power steering but to check look under the car for any loose hoses or the big hydraulic slave clyinder. A basic way to find out the location of stuff is to look at pictures of other mustangs on the internet, and yes you will also need alternator brackets and the big long bolt and spacer: C5ZZ-10145/51-K MUSTANG ALTERNATOR BRACKET KIT CHROME 260/289/302 1965-1969
ALTERNATOR MOUNTING BOLT Steel Spacer (6) 1965 | CJ Pony Parts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03990.jpg
Views:	4170
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	130401   Click image for larger version

Name:	!BV)mVFwBWk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLlyV52BKUP7rC12g~~_3.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	130402   Click image for larger version

Name:	!!e8wGVQ!2E~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmZ5C3BKM7BHgmuQ~~_4.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	130404   Click image for larger version

Name:	!BVpvY5QBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlwfrpBKTk2n0Pw!~~_3.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	130405  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok I checked the car and it has no power steering. Thanks for the responses, you've helped me out so much so far. I've been looking at a few pictures and seen what a big difference is from my car. Its missing the valve cover gaskets which are already on the way. Does anyone know of a good manual, more descriptive and helpful than the Haynes? One thing I need to get done before it rains is to align the hood. I've got the hood bolted on loosely but need to line it up with the body, any tips/tricks? Thanks again.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011
Apprentice

Looks like it needs an alternator, water pump and some spark plug wires. Connect that vacuum line off the distributor to a port on the carb body. Also, where's the voltage regulator? It connects to the alternator, usually small sized box about the size of a couple of packs of cigarettes.

Rickster
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Is there any specific port in the carb that line needs to hook up to if no? Also I am not aware of what that voltage regulator looks like or if my vehicle currently has it. I will look online at pictures at one. Woukd one come with a new performance Alternator? Thanks for the reply.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011
GT Member
Classic Member

Hey Ryan :smilie Welcome to AFM

I'm going to give you some additional pics to add to what thetvirus and Rickster and have already given you. These pics are from my 65 289 but the components should be pretty much the same.

1st pic (A) Water pump, (B) Pulley, (C) fan spacer, (D) fan (E) 4 long mounting bolts. The remaining pics are different views of the engine compartment that may help you spot missing items. Don't forget the engine ground strap. The last pic is the voltage regulator.

A word of advice. Check the condition of the wiring harnesses under the hood. Because of the heat, cold damp and other outside conditions, these usually deteriorate first. If they are questionalbe, replace them. No sense getting everything up and running, only to lose it all to an electrical fire. All the under hood harnesses are fairly simple and reasonably priced. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8941.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	130494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	2532
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	130495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	130496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	130497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	130498  

66 Convertible 6 cyl automatic
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Wow those pictures just blew me away. I have already gathered a list of parts that will be here in a week or so. The parts I did order is all those you posted pictures of. Vi am curious about the cobdition of the wire harness. It is actually all in contact and I scanned it all and didn't notice any spices or anything. I will grab the battery terminals and get then wired in. I've been re reading the wirering diagram over and everything seems good. I will look for the grounding strap when u get hone today. Is there any other mounting brackets I will need beside the Alternator bracket? Thanks for all the help I wouldnt have known what to do if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks again.
GT Member
Classic Member

If you're not running PS or A/C, you should be fine with just the alternator brackets and spacer.

About the wiring harnesses. Mine were OK when I first began however, they developed problems in a short period of time. Locating breaks in a wire which is underneath a wire wrap is time consuming and tedious. Electrical issues are not my strong point. After chasing shorts 3 or 4 times, I gave up and purchased new harnesses.

There are only 3 harnesses in the engine compartment of these cars.

• 1. Headlight feed harness which hooks up your headlights, parking lights, solenoid, voltage reg, horns. These run about $95.
  • 2. Engine gauge feed harness which takes care of your sending units, coil, distributor, etc. Cost is around $35.
  • 3. Alternator feed which hooks your alternator to the headlight feed harness and your solenoid. Cost is around $20.
Stock harnesses are available from most of the Mustang Supply houses. These harnesses have the correct connectors so everything is plug and play. Plus the harnesses have the correct color wires so you can easily follow any wiring diagram.

My $.02. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	130505  

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yea the vehicle has no AC or PS which I am 100% ok with. I love the hot weather. I think I have all the wires already except for #3 : Alternator feed.. ect. Which I will deff. need so Ill find some on the web. The Stang also needs some new carpet inside. Any special way of doing that? Id like to find an original looking or even matching carpet if possible. Wasnt sure if someone knew of a source or a way of doing this. Thanks For all the help. Everyone here is amazing and I will be sure to recommend others to visit AFM.
PONY Member
Classic Member

Garage
CJ Pony Parts (cjponyparts.com) is where I get 95% of my parts from, including new carpet. Carpet is about $140. You'll also need the carpet underlay which is more or less sound deadener, for about $50. Check out the links below.

ACC FLOOR CARPETING COUPE 1965-1968 | CJ Pony Parts

MUSTANG CARPET UNDERLAYMENT KIT 1965-1973

You'll have to remove all the seats and the console if you have one (seats are held in by 4 bolts each, removed from under the car). The bezel around the shifter needs to come off too. Once you get all the old stuff out of the interior its the best time to check for rusty floor pans. If there's surface rust just sand it all down with a drill and some wire wheels and then coat it with self-etching primer.

As for installing the new carpet/underlay, the underlay goes down first and literally just lays there. You can apply a small amount of glue if you think its going to move. Mine was pretty heavy on its own. The carpet goes down over this in two pieces, one for the front and the back. They overlap by a few inches in the center underneath the front seats. The carpet will stay where you put it, but a small amount of glue can be used to better keep it in place. You'll probably need to cut out some holes for the seat bolts and seatbelt bolts. Just make a small "X" with a utility knife.

Good luck!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

I will be sure to check that website out. I know replacing the carpet will be pretty simple and self explanatory but thanks for the tips. I've already got the seats out and the after bezzle out. I'm going to pull the carpet when I get hone and if there is any rust, ill be sure to take care of that. The cars coming along great so far. Thanks for all the support and help. I'm curious about getting the engine fired up. It's going to be my biggest difficulty but ill get it done. Thanks again.
GT Member
Classic Member

Hi Ryan

First let me say that your willingness to help your friend with this project is very admirable. Every time you help some one, you help yourself.

Let me give you some advice and you can take it for what it's worth. These projects can get entirely out of hand in a short period of time. You and your friend need to have a plan regarding the level you want to bring this vehicle to. As an example, do you want a daily driver, a quality driver, a restomod, a show car or a trailer queen. The price increases with each level. By setting the level of the finished car, you can also control the budget.

There is also a logical order to completing one of these restorations. I know you want new carpet but it might be more prudent to get the engine running first. No sense putting out $175 for carpet when it could be better used for a vital engine part.

So gather your sources for supplies. Look up CJ Pony, National Parts Depot, Mustangs Unlimited just to name a few. Download their catalogs so you know what's available. Take a good hard critical look at your fastback. Take some pics. This forum has an incredible wealth of information with the members. These people are friendly and always willing to help. Let us know what you need.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011 Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking

With this being my first resto job it will be an interesting one. This is actually a question that I asked my friend because I have always been interested in restoring vehicles and read up on them and notice how many don't end to happening because of the budget. Our goal for right now is to get this thing running and into a daily driver. My first goal was to hear the engine roaring. U wanted to make sure this thing worked before I went ahead and started to put extra time into it. The body in this thing is immaculate and well I feel this is a very strong project. For this project we have a fixed income every money guaranteing us money to so this. We have over a grand ready to spend with more money on the way. May sound short but I think it is reasonable for a 18 year old who works at advance as well as school. After getting the motor running I wanted to scrap the carpet because of its unpleasant condition. Besides the carpet I am just wanting to get this thing moving around good. From there we cab move on but my goal is to get it running. From working at advance, I have Gained some sources from fellow mustang owners like you said NPD. Also another benefit is that I get some discounts and i have all the tools to do the work. My first purchases was going to be a water pump, battery cables, plugs and wires, rad hoses, and then add coolant and get motor oil in to get it running. I want to make sure the engine will run before I continue the long road. Is this a good goal? Should I start somewhere else? Remember I'm only 18 and I'm taking on a challenge that some can't concur. Thanks for all the support and help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page