Car dies at Stop Signs HELP A BROTHER OUT - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005 Thread Starter

Exclamation Car dies at Stop Signs HELP A BROTHER OUT

got a 1968 coupe with a 302 and a Holly 4-brl Carb electronic choke, 3spd auto. Up until 3 weeks ago my car ran fine, I was coming of the freeway and about to go on an overpass when my car started to idle slow then it died. Since then when the car is warmed up i have to put the car in Nuetral and hit the gas pedal to keep it from dying, usually at stop signs and when driving thru the neighborhood. When i get to my garage i keep my foot on the break and my car in Drive, it seems that the car is having a hard time getting gas to the carb, it will usually surge from almost dying to normal warm idle speed( when in drive, foot on break) Then it just DIES!!!I can also seem to tell when its going to happen, the car doesnt respond as well right before this happens(freeway speeds) I just tuned up the car two days ago, new plugs, air-filter, oil filter, and i bought a fuel filter the Fuel line goes from the Carb to the Fuel Pump without a filter inbetween, My dad and a buddy told me that its probably a clogged fuel filter. but i cant find it. Any other ideas, The Carb seems clean and pretty new. I would hate going to the shop, Im a broke ass college student and i would appreciate any help. I know this is long winded but I dont want to forget anything. NOTE: my car battery died on me about a week before this all started to happen, had to get it jumped. (left headlights on) THANKS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Hello.First,I think that I'd check the easy,obvious stuff.Let the car warm up and remove the breather assembly and make sure that the choke is opening like it should.You might have fried the electric choke when you jumped the car.Or,it could have decided that this is the appropriate time to start getting stuck on you.If that all seems to be in order,you could have an obstruction of some sort in the fuel delivery.If you don't see an inline fuel filter the car doesn't have one.The fuel comes out of the gas tank where there is a short piece of rubber fuel line,about 4inches long,then there's a long steel line that goes to the front of the carand comes through the fender apron,which you can see from under the hood.There really isn't anywhere to put one that isn't visible from under the hood.It sounds like some crud got pulled into the carb and is clogging things up.It isn't a big deal to pull the carb off and go through it.The four screws on the corners on the front of the fuel bowl will give you access to everything that you need to get to.Pull those screws out and remove the fuel bowl.inside,you will see two little brass thingies with a hole in the middle of them.Remove them with a big regular screwdriver and clean out the little hole in the middle with some carb cleaner spray.Spray out the fuel bowl also.Be careful not to get any of the carb cleaner in your eyes or anything.It stings like the devil.You will see on the outside of the fuel bowl what looks like a screw head about the size of a dime with a lock nut on it.Don't mess with that.It controls your float level.Hope that helps.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005

carb

Has the weather changed? Holly carbs are real prone to idle change in damp weather. My old 390 has a holly and it needs a little help when we get weather changes but runs like a top the rest of the time, all of the ones I have owned were kicked by that mule. Many years selling parts and working on holly carbs introduced me to a saying, if you don't like the way your holly runs today wait a day or two it will change. And there is some truth to it, they have alot of small passages compared to a craker box autolite and are prone to dirt, very prone. Follow the good advice above if it don't clear up, oh and buy a filter and get it inline or face this problem many more times. Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005
Acooljt

You could also have a timing problem. A friend of mine's truck hasn't been running right for about the last 3 months. Turns out that his cap wasn't completely tightened down and so over time it kept retarding the timing. So I'd check your timing, I believe it's suppose to be 6* BTDC? While you're toying with all of that, check your vacuum advance, cause it should advance your timing as the engine warms up, but if it doesn't, then you're gonna have a really rough running motor.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005 Thread Starter

took the car to a shop and i ended up having a timing problem, got that fixed. the carb is very tempermental, the guys at the shop said that one of the floaters is getting stuck and flooding the carb. Im looking for a good carb mechanic in sacramento.

BTW thanks for all of the advice.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005
Acooljt

Yes! I love when I'm right! Cause it doesn't happen often.

As far as the float goes, it's not a whole lot of work, so any shop that works on carbs should be able to do it unless they're total idiots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page