URGENT ... NEED HELP ... BROKEN ENGINE MOUNT and TRANNY? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005 Thread Starter
Classic Member

URGENT ... NEED HELP ... BROKEN ENGINE MOUNT and TRANNY?

NOT GOOD!

so im driving home from work like i usually do and all of the sudden .... snap ... crunch ... smoke ... GONE!!! Im at a 45 degree angle at the base of my driveway hearing stuff grind so i put it in park ... my foot is slammed on the break but the engine is still reving so i turn the key off ... i get out and lear stuff leaking ... open the hood my drivers side motor mount is disconnected from the engine .. the engine is turned at an angle (seriously my engine is like at a tilt) my newly painted air cleaner has scrapped the bottom of my hood ... i cant tell if my transmission is ok or not ... idk wat to do ... i called to oreder a new motor mount but idk what else ill need ... ???? ideas ???

Thomas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005
Apprentice
Classic Member

*wince*

Ouch, dude. That sucks...

The two things that concern me most are, obviously:

1.) The grinding sound.
2.) The "something leaking" you heard.

If I'm picturing what happened correctly in my head, you could have wrenched any number of things. You're going to have to get the car someplace where you can work on it and examine it thoroughly.

The most important things to check are those that are connections between the object that moved (the engine) and the parts of the car that didn't:
* Radiator hoses.
* Transmission cooling lines (mounted to the tranny, sure, but routed under the engine often and could have been pinched / broken by the rotation in any case).
* Engine electrical connections.
* Throttle linkage.
* Transmission kick-down lever.
* Power steering pump / hoses / etc.

You'll want to find out what the engine hit on its way down. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what's underneath the engine in my 'Stang, but I think there's at least a crossmember under there that may have been damaged. Which also may have damaged the oil pan. The engine may have also collided with parts of the steering mechanism. Anything at the front of the engine may have been damaged if it did.

Additionally, you'll want to give the tranny a thorough once-over. Check the drive shaft, make sure it isn't bent. Check the u-joint, make sure it isn't schmutzed up. Check the tranny rear seal. Check the shift linkage, make sure it isn't bent anywhere. I think there's also a support member underneath the front of the tranny that may have been damaged as well.

Check the exhaust system too. I've found they're usually fairly loosely mounted, so they can take a significant degree of motion, but it may not be the case for you - especially if you have a non-stock exhaust system.

Post what you find out. (Pictures might help, if ya can, though I don't know how much help they'll be...) And we'll work from there...

Ninjamobile
AKA The Mad Chauffeur
1966 Mustang Deluxe Coupe (302 V8, 4bbl Holley Carb, Edelbrock intake, custom headers, dual exhaust with Flowmasters and GT valance)
1981 Mercury Grand Marquis - AKA War, Big Red, Bessie the War Cow
2007 Lexus IS 350 Sedan
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005 Thread Starter
Classic Member

Yea ... my dad has the digital camerea ... i cnat move the car anywhere cuz it wont and when it does it grinds ?? im to mad to type right now ima go look some more be back in a couple hours ...

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page