68 Mustang Power Steering Problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005 Thread Starter

68 Mustang Power Steering Problem

Hi all I am a killer time getting my power steering working correct. I replace the pump and control valve 2 twice now. Here is my problem I keep killing pumps because the fluid keeps foaming up and leaking out and running the pump dry. If its not that then Im frying hose on the headers. Any one have any idea how to fix this from doing this? Or what could be causing it to foam up and out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005
Banned

um, I have done EVERYTHING that you have done and more, before selling my power steering and buying an adapter it bolts right up to where the control valve should be, and you can get it for $125 at www.mustangcountryintl.com

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

You know I love the good old Mustang power steering. I cannot say how many times I have had problems with my power steering, as well as heard how many other people had the same problems.

Anyways, I agree with Twister. I am trying to convert to manual steering because I can't take it anymore. I have a question for both of you guys. I have searched a lot and can't find answers. When I take the pump off, is there a dummy bracket that goes in its place with a pulley? I have seen people put a bracket with a pulley where the pump goes but I dunno where they get it from. Also, is there another way to do it, because there is no tensioner for the crank and I dont wanna take the crank pulley or water pump pulley off to put a shorter belt on.

2013 GHIG Boss 302: Recaros, Torsen. Whiteline rear control arms, Barton shifter w/ two post bracket, Ford Racing Stinger mufflers (swapping soon), more to come.

SOLD!Natasha- Performance White 2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium: MT, 401a with Cashmere Stripe, Comfort Package, 18" Polished Wheels.

Natalie- Wimbledon White 1967 Mustang coupe, 289 2bbl, Red Interior, 16x8 torque thrust II's, Custom Exhaust with Doug's Headers, MSD 6a Electronic Ignition, Grant Steering Wheel.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6767c
because there is no tensioner for the crank and I dont wanna take the crank pulley or water pump pulley off to put a shorter belt on.
The power steering has it's own belt, just like the alternator does. The only change you would make, and this is totally optional, is get a 1 groove crank AND water pump pulley. I just swapped my PS to MS with a friend, and he sent me the pullies, along with the links and SB. You might want to get another steering box, unless you have beefy forearms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page