selecting an intake manifold - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006 Thread Starter

Question selecting an intake manifold

Hello! I have a '70's 302cid, with a stock 4bbl manifold, a spacer, and an edlebrock 600 or 650cfm carberator, and am looking into purchasing an aftermarket manifold for performance gains that are decent for durability when driving (freeway, cruises, traffic, etc.). So far, I am stuck between Edlebrock Performer, RPM, Victor Jr., and Weiand Stealth, but I do not know much about their specific function, or which would be better for my application. I do plan on adding a mild cam, as long as it won't jeapardize drivability.

As for cams, if I get the Performer, I was thinking of getting the manifold/cam kit package offered by Summit.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or can give me an idea of which manifold would be best for me?

Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006

well for all around driveability, I would stay away from single plane manifolds...The edelbrock dual plane is a great street performance manifold...especially if you buy the kit from Summit Racing

If you look at the RPM range...you will note that the single plane does not start making its power until far into the band 3000 and up...means you will lose low end punch

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert
well for all around driveability, I would stay away from single plane manifolds...The edelbrock dual plane is a great street performance manifold...especially if you buy the kit from Summit Racing

If you look at the RPM range...you will note that the single plane does not start making its power until far into the band 3000 and up...means you will lose low end punch
THank you for replying. Is the Performer a dual plane? Also, is the Edlebrock cam and manifold kit a simple install - meaning that's all I need (no heads and such)? I was leaning toward Edlebrock since the carb is of that type, so I'm glad to hear that it's good for street performance.:hihi:

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006
Banned

Hello! you do not have a 1970 302 with a factory 4 barrell UNLESS you have a BOSS 302! The last non-BOSS 4 barrell 302 until 1982 was 1968...

As for your car, what do you want it to do?

What are the casting numbers on the intake?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by taospec
THank you for replying. Is the Performer a dual plane? Also, is the Edlebrock cam and manifold kit a simple install - meaning that's all I need (no heads and such)? I was leaning toward Edlebrock since the carb is of that type, so I'm glad to hear that it's good for street performance.:hihi:
Yes, the performer is a dual plane...look into Edelbrock, they make decent intakes

The install is pretty straight forward if you have done cam swaps before...No, you don't have to buy heads although it would certainly compliment your combination, but you don't have to buy them

here is a link to Jegs High Performance...The intake you would want would be the Performer 302:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=11937
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert
Yes, the performer is a dual plane...look into Edelbrock, they make decent intakes

The install is pretty straight forward if you have done cam swaps before...No, you don't have to buy heads although it would certainly compliment your combination, but you don't have to buy them

here is a link to Jegs High Performance...The intake you would want would be the Performer 302:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=11937
why? ma Perfomer 302 is basically an aluminum version of a stock 1965 4 V intake...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006 Thread Starter

Hi Twister. Just to clarify: I did not mean to say that it was a Boss engine, but an engine that came from a car made in the 1970's, actually 1973 - to be exact. I'm sorry if I may have confused you with my typing. Anyways, is that true about the Edlebrock? Like I think I stated before, I don't know jack-squat about modding Mustangs, so all info is helpful.
I just want the car to have a little more power, and to freshen up the engine bay. I would like for it to remain driveable, and reliable. My father drove it everywhere, even long trips - it use to be his daily driver, so I would like to keep it that way.Where can I find the casting numbers?

Thank you for the info 03svtsnakevert. I'll look into that.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

If you are going to add a cam and headers later then the Performer probably isn't enough manifold you may want to step up to the Performer RPM. My personal choice would be the Wieand Stealth though, IMO it's a bit better than the Edelbrocks. Keep the carb you have and don't go any bigger that's plenty of carb and think about some head work it will make a huge differance.

Mike

1966 Fastback
1966 Coupe
1998 GT

"Government is not the answer to our problems, government is the problem."

Ronald Reagan
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006
5.0L Member

taospec,
I have the Performer package in a motor I just finished rebuilding. I like it just fine, great power band although I do have some mildly worked heads. I'm not a carb guy so here is what I know through my experience and asking others. My combo is nice. I was deciding between the Performer package and another package (summit and jegs) that had the Weiand intake, Holley carb, Lunati cam. That pkg. was about $150-$200 more. Ask around. Edelbrock carbs are supposed to be great, especially with a little tuning. One thing I have read, and am experiencing, is a slight stumble holding at 25% throttle. Common with Ed.s but is supposed to be an easy fix with calibration. Haven't done that yet. Overall I'm pleased. The one thing I would recommend is post a thread asking about Edelbrock v Holley. Everyone will say theirs is the best. You know, Ford v Chevy type stuff. Ask why. Good luck. Oh yeah, mine is on a 289.
D
PONY Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Why wait...I'll jump on that one.The Edelbrock is the better carb...hands down and here is why. Holleys are an old design and they just havn't kept pace with technology the Holley has some serious fuel metering block short commings that Holley has never bothered to correct. The Holley's are ok at the track where their flaws don't stand out quite as much but on the street the Edelbrock is the better carb. Another choice often overlooked is the Autolite 4100...yes the stock carb from "back in the day" may actually be the best carb avaliable. It's rock solid, stands up to todays harsh fuels and performs as good if not better than the aftermarket carbs at least in mild to midrange build ups. Also jet changes are easier with both the Edelbrocks and the Autolites with Holleys maintainace can be a pain in the backside. If you already own the Edelbrock keep it it's a good carb.

Mike

1966 Fastback
1966 Coupe
1998 GT

"Government is not the answer to our problems, government is the problem."

Ronald Reagan
Apprentice
Classic Member

Watch your hood clearance. I don't know about the 70 model but 65 thru 68 models did'nt have alot of hood clearance. I have a edlebrock air gap on my 67 it was almost to high to shut the hood had to use a short breather to get it to clear.

1967 Mustang Coupe
1985 Mustang 514 cu in Big Block. See me run on Youtube just type www.youtube.com/1qwk67 listen to the beast!!!

2005 Mustang V6 Daughters car Legend Lime Green
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qwk67
Watch your hood clearance. I don't know about the 70 model but 65 thru 68 models did'nt have alot of hood clearance. I have a edlebrock air gap on my 67 it was almost to high to shut the hood had to use a short breather to get it to clear.
You could always get the drop base style air cleaner. I picked up one at the Zone for around 45 bucks or so, and it's got Edelbrock stamped right on it. Works fine for my application, and I have the Edel 600cfm and RPM intake.
Apprentice
Classic Member

Really don't know if drop breather will work will my Barry Grant Carb. May try one sometime. Thanks

67 Coupe
306 cu in
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads
Trick Flow Roller Rockers
Scat Rods
Steel Crank
Lunati 292/292 512/512 Cam
Ross Pistons
Barry Grant 650 double Pump
C-4 trans Custom built soft hit 3500 stall
Auburn Posi 3.55:1 Richmond Gear

1967 Mustang Coupe
1985 Mustang 514 cu in Big Block. See me run on Youtube just type www.youtube.com/1qwk67 listen to the beast!!!

2005 Mustang V6 Daughters car Legend Lime Green
5.0L Member

There's your carb answer. I do think the performer intake will be plenty. I'm running Hedman Elite nickel plateds, Performer package, worked heads, etc and I just need to calibrate my carb. Heard great things about Weiand though. A 600 cfm carb is plenty for what you're wanting.
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qwk67
I know squat about CFM, power bands and such so no advise there. But when I bought my 67 it came with a nice Edelbrock Torker manifold sitting in the trunk, and a big ding in the hood to explain why it was removed. It's a nice center marker if i decide to cut out for a hood scoop, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page