Upper ball joint control arm support - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mustangman1965
  • 1 Post By mustangman1965

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Upper ball joint control arm support

The Ford Shop Manual shows a support that has to go between the frame and the upper control arm in order to replace the upper ball joint or the lower control arm. The support is a 3/8" steel affair about 7 1/2" long. Where does one get this support? Is there another way to accomplish this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016
GT Member

You have to tell us what model and year you have and update your signature for anyone to reply to your question.

Regardless, if your talking about the pin that locates the upper control arm to the frame, all parts can be brought from a retailer like NPD etc:

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbohann View Post
The Ford Shop Manual shows a support that has to go between the frame and the upper control arm in order to replace the upper ball joint or the lower control arm. The support is a 3/8" steel affair about 7 1/2" long. Where does one get this support? Is there another way to accomplish this?
I've done it with a 4x4 block of wood, tucked in between the lip on the bottom edge of the frame and the UCA. Probably not the smartest thing to do but it worked. The shop manual I have gives all the dimensions to build your own support, if you don't have a welder I'm sure any fabrication shop could easily make one up.
Tbohann likes this.

EFI - Electronic Failure Injection

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 64 View Post
You have to tell us what model and year you have and update your signature for anyone to reply to your question.

Regardless, if your talking about the pin that locates the upper control arm to the frame, all parts can be brought from a retailer like NPD etc:
I don't know what his signature has to do with his question, but he's talking about this:
Tbohann likes this.

EFI - Electronic Failure Injection
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman1965 View Post
I don't know what his signature has to do with his question, but he's talking about this:
It all makes sense now that I see that picture.

Still, knowing what year model he has would help a lot.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Sorry....new to forum..thought I filled out membership stuff the right....ill figure out signature part.....I have a 67 mustang convertible...that picture is exactly what I am talking about
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016
BOSS Member
Classic Member

Actually, you can just use a 2x4 about 16-18" long (wood), jack the car up and as it comes up, let the board get wedged flatwise against the frame rail, between the uca and the frame rail, the important thing is the uca is not bottomed out, put the car up on jackstands, as you will have to use the jack more. Once it is high enough, then remove the tire, remove the cotter pin on the upper ball joint, loosen the nut on the upper ball joint several turns but don't take the nut off, put the floor jack under the lower control arm by the lower ball joint to support it, put don't put pressure on it to lift the lca. Use a ball joint popper to pop the upper ball joint loose in the uca. Once that is done, if the old ball joint is original it will be held in by rivets and they will have to have the heads ground off and punched out with a punch and a hammer, not too tough, if the old ball joint was a replacement, it will be held by grade8 bolts and nuts. You will need to torque the nut on the new ball joint to minimum spec, and keep in mind the holes on the ball joint and the slots on the nut will have to line up to insert the cotter pin, and then turn it tighter just enough to get the holes lined up. Good Luck.

Last edited by rex1965; 08-14-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks Rex!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page