Front Suspension - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Front Suspension

Got my 64 conv back from paint and putting it back together. This car was purchased off of EBay. the PO for some reason took out the 289 and dropped in a 200 ci 6cy. I have rebuilt the entire motor and it runs great. Question is the front suspension is set up for a V8 and now that there is a 6 cy in the engine bay the front end sits up a little higher. Driving the car it handles like it has power steering very light in the front. Should I take it in and have a turn taken out of the coil springs or just leave it alone?
Or is there anything else I should do?

Thank you
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016
GT Member

Mark, You could try and swap out the front springs back to a 6 cylinder.
The 200 /V8 have different load ratings.

zray likes this.

15/5/1964 260 Manual Coupe.
23/3/1965 289 Manual Fastback.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

The rated load for the 6-cyl springs was about 200 pounds less than for a V-8 car. Your front should be sitting about a full inch higher than normal. They were always higher in the front but another inch would be REALLY noticeable.

I have not directly searched for new 6-cyl springs but I don't think anyone sells a close replacement no matter what they claim. Not only was the load spec less so was the spring rate which they did by using smaller diameter wire in each spring. 6-cyl springs were 0.57" wire, V-8 were 0.585" and GT springs were 0.60". That doesn't sound like much difference but it raises the spring rate from 240 lb/in to 315 lb/in.

The spring often advertised for a 6 is made using 0.59" wire which is closer to the the lighter version (non-GT) V8 spring. The problem with cutting coils is that as you lower the car by cutting you also increase the spring rate making a stiffer ride. If that doesn't bother you then maybe you should cut. Don't get carried away since a full turn would be too much to return your car to stock height.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Actually I would prefer a stiffer ride. I will try cutting out a little bit at a time maybe a 1/4 turn at a time. I will post pictures before and after..
Thank you

Mark
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPallock View Post
Actually I would prefer a stiffer ride. I will try cutting out a little bit at a time maybe a 1/4 turn at a time. I will post pictures before and after..
Thank you

Mark
It's going a lot stiffer by the time you get the height down to the proper level. Cutting a quarter of a coil off at a time by my estimate is going to mean you will have the springs off 5 or 6 times by the time the ride height is acceptable. Buying the correct 6 cylinder springs from Eaton Springs will save you a lot of wasted time. Their springs are taken from the original blueprints, and are very accurate in ride and in height.

This might be a good time to put on a set of Koni or Bilstein shocks. The cheaper shocks won't be up to controlling a stiffer spring very well.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I agree that taking a quarter turn at a time may take a while but you can never add back what you cut off! My calculations indicate somewhere between 1/2 and 1 turn would get you to 'normal' height.

I know many say that the Eaton springs are exact factory, etc, etc, and Eaton says that themselves. But Eaton provides very little data on their springs and what they do provide looks like what everyone else sells. I get the impression that only one company makes the springs (I don't know which one) and everyone sells the same parts with different PR. Consider that Ford make SIX different coil spring sets for '66 Mustangs and Eaton advertises only one 6 and one V8 spring. Where are the other 4 options? BTW, neither of those two would make a very original 6-cyl spring. They are fairly decent generic replacements for the springs Ford commonly used for most of the V8 cars.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...gs-8326-a.html
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016
PONY Member

If you call Eaton Springs, you will discover that they have many springs not listed on their website. Also, they'll be happy to talk your ear off about the Ford specifications for all the different models you mention, and how Eatons product can faithfully match each different one.

I do recognize the truth in what's being said about the relabeling of products to make it seem like each vendor is selling something unique. The reproduction Magnum 500 wheel is prime example of this. As recently as 5 years ago there where more than one wheel available. Now there only one, and it's being sold under several different labels.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Z Ray thanks I will do just that.

Mark
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016
Apprentice

Mark,

I don't think that it's been mentioned but if the PO didn't already do the simple mod, you could lower the UCA by properly drilling the holes for the Shelby 1" drop. The common misconception is that this mod will lower the front end by 1". However for several reasons, including the interplay of the suspension geometry, your ride height will change (lower) between 1⁄4” and 5/8”. As an added benefit, you will enjoy an improvement in handling (lower center of gravity, reduced body roll, improved camber curve).

1966 "C" Code Coupe, Candyapple Red, Pony Interior, "Roxy"
Apprentice

Best of luck

1966 "C" Code Coupe, Candyapple Red, Pony Interior, "Roxy"
BOSS Member
Classic Member

If you do the UCA drop, do not cut any off the springs at that time, what till you get it together, and check the ride height. If the engine has been out of the car for a while during the rebuild, it needs to set in the car for about 1-3 months for the springs to settle down. My 2 cts. Good Luck.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Called Eaton and ordered the springs. Apparently there were 2 types of springs for that year. If you had the 289 with a four barrel it was the heavier spring. The 289 with a 2 barrel and the 6 cy were the same spring. Seems odd but I ordered the the ones for the 6cy.

Mark
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Front suspension

Called Eaton and ordered the springs. Apparently there were 2 types of springs for that year. If you had the 289 with a four barrel it was the heavier spring. The 289 with a 2 barrel and the 6 cy were the same spring. Seems odd but I ordered the the ones for the 6cy.

Mark
rix2012 likes this.
Rookie

Garage
hey bud , here is a pic of my 76B , 289 c code , one coil cut from the front spring and 1"lowering blocks in the rear.....rides fine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedystangIMG_3215.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	536289  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPallock View Post
Called Eaton and ordered the springs. Apparently there were 2 types of springs for that year. If you had the 289 with a four barrel it was the heavier spring. The 289 with a 2 barrel and the 6cy were the same spring.

As I said above, that is NOT how Ford fitted springs. What they offered you are NOT factory correct springs and my money says they will be nearly the same as the '289' springs you already have. I would be very interested in knowing what you receive.

There were not two but SIX different coil springs for a '65/'66: A, B, C, D, E & F What nearly everyone is selling are 2 options that are sort of, but not really, a C/D and an E/F spring. Neither of those were used for 6-cyl cars except for the heaviest of 6s: a convertible 6 w/ A/C & P/S OR with A/C and either a 4-speed or C4. Any other 6 had A or B springs and what is offered is not close to those two options. An 'A' spring was rated at 1279 lbs; a 'C' was 1490 and 'D' was 1413 lbs. How can a repro 'C/D' spring replace what should be an 'A'?

BTW, the E/F springs were not 'heavier' in terms of weight; their load rating was within 1 pound of the C/D. The difference was that the E/F were designed to give a 1/2" lower ride height.

Only in one instance did carb have anything to do with springs. That was only for convertibles with the HD suspension option. What made a difference was the HiPo or GT option (both included HD suspension), A/C (heavy), HD suspension option or whether or not it was a convertible (even heavier).

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...gs-8326-a.html

1966 coupe & fastback springs:
A - base 6-cyl spring
B - 6-cyl with A/C & P/S OR 6-cyl with A/C & either C4 or 4-spd
C - 289 w/ A/C
D - 289 w/o A/C
E - H/D suspension, HiPo or GT cars w/ A/C
F - H/D suspension, HiPo or GT cars w/o A/C

1966 convertible springs:
A - base 6-cyl spring
B - 6-cyl with any one of 4-spd, C4, P/S, or A/C
C - base 289
D - 6-cyl with A/C & P/S OR 6-cyl with A/C and either 4-spd or C4
E - H/D suspension 4V, HiPo or GT
F - H/D suspension 289s with 2V carb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page