Hid headlight upgrade help!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to black02GT
Hid headlight upgrade help!!!

I am looking to buy the 8000k hid headlights. I don't know how they work. Do I need to find a conversion kit? How much should I be expecting to spend? I've never had bright lights and I've always avoided driving my mustang at night. I've been reading up on some of the lights and bulbs but I'm not understanding completely what all I need and how to install. Also has anyone had issues with the "flickering?" If anyone knows about the hids please explain to me. Please educate me!! I need help!! Thanks everyone

2002 Mustang GT
-Xcalliber 2 Programmer
-BBK ceramic headers
-Steeda short throw shifter
-Loudmouth resonators
-O/R H-pipe
-Dual Friction Centerforce clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member

just get a quality set of HID's, they basically just plug into your current harness where the bulb connects. a quality set will prevent the "flicker" you are referring too. don't think price is quality. I can get HID's as cheap as 50$. just google around. I forget the name of the site that sells them. AVOID ebay HID's, they have ****** ballasts that go bad fairly quick.

also, you need to look into a retrofit housing, or retrofit your housing yourself. sticking a straight HID bumb into your current housing blinds everybody. (think ricers headlights coming at you at night.)

[COLOR="Black"][B]2004[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Torch red[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]mach 1[/COLOR] Cams, mac long tubes, lethal offroad X, magnaflow IRS exhaust, strange front coil overs, strange 14" 175lb springs, 4.30's, FRPP 31 spline differential, Moser 31 spline axles, steeda tri-ax, exedy 2 clutch, FRPP throw out, FRPP pilot bearing, MM clutch goodies, K&N poly intake, SCT tuned

[B][COLOR="black"]1996[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="DarkRed"] Lazer red GT[/COLOR], 2002 Pi swapped, stage 1 cams, shift kit, ram air intake, UPR offroad X, flowmaster dumps, 125 wet shot...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013
Rookie

Smile Recommendation

See if you can get a Xetronix brand HID kit - those are quality. I had two sets (high and low beam) on my former NSX and they never flickered once.

Also, I highly recommend NOT going with a temperature other than 4300k or maybe 5000k. 3000k is very yellow, like having bright yellow headlights. 6000k looks fairly blue but when it rains it is like not having any headlights at all - the light just washes out when it refracts through the rain. 8000k starts to get purple. Those higher temperatures, 6000k or higher, would be fine if you live in the desert I guess.

4300k will give you the most usable light. A nice set of HIDs in 4300k is stunningly bright on a dark road.

1995 Mustang GT Convertible - Opal Frost/Black Cloth/Black Top
1997 Mustang GT Convertible - Pacific Green/Medium Graphite/White Top
2003 Mustang GT Convertible - Dark Shadow Gray/Dark Charcoal Leather/Black Top
2010 Mustang GT Convertible - Grabber Blue/Black/Black Top

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member

Send a message via AIM to black02GT
Awesome! Thanks so much for the help! Greatly appreciated

2002 Mustang GT
-Xcalliber 2 Programmer
-BBK ceramic headers
-Steeda short throw shifter
-Loudmouth resonators
-O/R H-pipe
-Dual Friction Centerforce clutch
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013
Apprentice

I bought a DDM Tuning HID kit for less than $50, they are great so far no problems such as flickering, however I do have one bulb beam that slightly vibrates but not to the point where it effects my vision. I only see it when the beam is on a wall and I'm not moving.

2011 V6 Black Mustang Automatic: Magnaflow Competition Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Raxiom Smoked Projector Headlights, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights, 93H-R3.1 Bama tune, BBK Long Tube Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013
Site Sponsor

I have our HID conversion kit on my 2007 Mustang GT and it works great.

Feel free to PM me or call me (314) 205-3033 ext. 206

I will give you all the information you need and help you find a quality product at a fair price.

Thanks
Nick C.

HID and LED Lighting For Your Mustang
Visit diodedynamics.com To See Products!
(314) 205-3033
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page