1st time at the track, couldnt get above 98 mph. Frusterating. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IfNot1stUrLast

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

1st time at the track, couldnt get above 98 mph. Frusterating.

Just bought "Sally" about 3 months ago. All mods are in my sig. There arent many mods cuz i am on a budget and I just bought her. I FINALLY got to go to the dragway and did 5 passes.
Best pass was:

RT .1227
60ft 2.0306
1/8 ET 9.1801
1/8 MPH 76.92
1/4 ET 14.1387
1/4 MPH 98.34

My best reaction time was actually my first run with a .0071 very happy about that!
Anyway, EVERY pass my top speed was 98 mph at @5800-5900 rpm in 3rd gear. I kno my launch can easily be improved with drag radials. but i feel the top speed will be holding me back ALOT.

I am thinking the solution is i need to change gear ratio? Right now i have the stock 3.55's and I never get out of 3rd. I am thinking the solution to higher top speed for me right now, is change to 3.90 or 4.10 gears? so i can go thru the gears faster and get into 4th which will have highest top speed.

Does that sound right? (TOTAL newb to cars, racing etc. just done bunch of research past 3 months)
Thanks!

2006 Mustang GT 4.6L S197
JLT 3 Series CAI, Bama 93 Race Tune, 18x10 rear wheels, street radials, Shaker 500, premium package.

Last edited by IfNot1stUrLast; 01-14-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: i'm top of 3rd gear not 4th at end of the track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017
GT Member

A manual S197 GT with a CAI, 93 tune, 3.55 gears, stock tires, good driver mod, low DA, and good track prep should be able to run the 1/4 in the low-mid 13's at 105 mph(+/-). Your 2 sec 60' indicates a good driver mod and/or good track prep.
I'm guessing the 2900' DA slowed you down. A tired engine can also decrease performance.

Crossing the 1/4 finish line just before redline in 4th like you did during your runs is optimum for these cars.
Changing to a lower rear gear (3.90 or 4.10) can increase e.t. and decrease mph, because it will cause a loss of momentum due to the 4-5 shift before the finish line. It can also cause traction problems when launching and shifting due to the increased torque multiplication to the rear tires.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for that info!
I will try letting engine cool down more. I basically did 5 passes near back to back in Texas heat.
I think I will leave the gears alone for now then. Getting drag radials next week. And adding a quick shifter in the next 3-4 weeks is the plan.

My launches are all over the place. not much consistency. I believe the drag radials will be a huge help.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017
GT Member

You're welcome. Practice, cooler ambient temperatures, and less humidity should get you into the 13's at over 100 mph.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

broke 98!

Mission accomplished! Went to track 10/13/17 and it was a cooler day. Plus, i let the engine cool for 15-20 min between runs. I also shifted perfect and hit 99 and some change. it was also my first false start so the ET was no good.

Bought drag radials yesterday. need to buy 15" wheels... then launching should be lot better and ET should follow!
#stoked
#manymodstomake
Old Goat Ninja likes this.

JLT 3 Series CAI, Bama 93 Race Tune, 18x10 rear wheels, street radials, Shaker 500, premium package.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017
Apprentice

a lower rar (numerically higher) will, as you've been told above, LOWER your trap speed.

but btw . . . trap speed is probably THE most irrelevant number out there (from the real-world, drivability, blow the guy off at the stoplight daily-driver)
its a hp indication, but it's not about the hp - its about putting the power down to the pavement in the most efficient manner

no cams and only a cai and a tune, you've not done much to increase the top-end (the speed out the back)
its not that the tune and the cai aren't helping, it's that if you want to move the powerband out the back end you'll have to make some cam mods

Renegade Racing 4.6 SOHC: Cobra Crank, Manley Rods, Coated Diamond Pistons 10.75:1 comp w/valve reliefs, PnP CNCd NPI heads, PI intake, Comp Cams 262ah, Ferrea Valves, 70mm TB, TrickFlow, BBK LT o/r X, SCT, Exedy, FRPP 4.10 rar
2001 GT
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017
Rookie

Garage
Are you lifting right at the finish line?

If so, that will reduce your Top End speed, the speed trap actually goes past the finish line. If you take a walk to the end of the track the speed trap should be marked in yellow.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dB Racing View Post
a lower rar (numerically higher) will, as you've been told above, LOWER your trap speed.

but btw . . . trap speed is probably THE most irrelevant number out there (from the real-world, drivability, blow the guy off at the stoplight daily-driver)
its a hp indication, but it's not about the hp - its about putting the power down to the pavement in the most efficient manner

no cams and only a cai and a tune, you've not done much to increase the top-end (the speed out the back)
its not that the tune and the cai aren't helping, it's that if you want to move the powerband out the back end you'll have to make some cam mods
I agree with the "Power to the Pavement" Comment"!!!

Many people think the Dyno is King and spend money on Horsepower.

If you can't get those Ponies to hook, it's a waste of money!!

Suspension and learning how to set it up is key. I got my a** kicked on the track for 3 years before we figured it out and it took a Drag Racer, after I told him I was completely lost, to finally help me out.

Little Bit Racing: "A little bit of money here and a little bit of money there equals an empty bank account!"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017
PONY Member

I'm not advocating anything like illegal activity. However, have you ever had the car at speed over 102 at any point in time? Rumors abound about some cars destined for certain markets having top end limited by the EEC. Its always been blamed on the u joints or drive shafts or tires, but it has happened.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
PONY Member

As far as rear gearing, the "ideal" rear gear puts you at the finish line at the redline or just past it. Shifting to 5th will LOSE MPH because of the horsepower LOSS from "direct" ( 4th) through the overdrive gears. It is important to remember the harder you launch , the more likely you are to break parts! Your ET will be better for sure as well as the 60' times with the drag radials and a lower gear set. MPH is directly related to the HP produced at the RPM seen at the finish line. For the moment , don't worry too much about reaction times. Get it "hooked up" and running consistent times first. Hit your shifts the same all the time. Then you can concentrate on the starting line stuff. I have about 4,000 runs under my belt. Plenty of racetrack winnings check stubs too.

I may not be a GT350 Member but I am a GT 350 owner , stay thirsty my friends
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

UPDATE!

Looking back at this post man i was such a newb! Still am BUT have some seat time now.
Best time with original set up (CAI and BAMA tune, quick shifter) ended up being a 13.9 ET top speed of 101 if i remember. We moved and i lost the freakin time slip!

Just did a BIG round of mods on my 2006 Mustang GT. Current set up is:
Rear seat delete
JLT 3 Series CAI
Barton qucik shifter
FRPP 1 piece aluminum drive shaft
BBK long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe
Bassani axle backs
10x15in wide wheels
M/T et drag radials

Track is closed for winter but soon as it opens i will be there! Not sure how much ET will be improved with these mods but definitely STOKED!

Anyone know what Drive Shaft Safety Loop will fit with BBK LTH and x pipe? The BMR one that AmericanMuscle recommends does NOT fit. Lookin like this one may fit:
https://www.cheperformance.com/colle...roducts/che11a

Thanks guys!

MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfNot1stUrLast View Post
UPDATE!

Looking back at this post man i was such a newb! Still am BUT have some seat time now.
Best time with original set up (CAI and BAMA tune, quick shifter) ended up being a 13.9 ET top speed of 101 if i remember. We moved and i lost the freakin time slip![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/AllFordMustangs-vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]

Just did a BIG round of mods on my 2006 Mustang GT. Current set up is:
Rear seat delete
JLT 3 Series CAI
Barton qucik shifter
FRPP 1 piece aluminum drive shaft
BBK long tube headers
BBK off road x pipe
Bassani axle backs
10x15in wide wheels
M/T et drag radials

Track is closed for winter but soon as it opens i will be there! Not sure how much ET will be improved with these mods but definitely STOKED!

Anyone know what Drive Shaft Safety Loop will fit with BBK LTH and x pipe? The BMR one that AmericanMuscle recommends does NOT fit. Lookin like this one may fit:
https://www.cheperformance.com/colle...roducts/che11a

Thanks guys!
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60662/10002/-1

This or one like this. Safety loops don't have to be fancy, just functional.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page