Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Janga
  • 1 Post By Michaelanthony2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Money where my mouth is!

Need some opinions/advice.
I am not a racer, never been in a real drag race in my life (49 years old) but it looks like I might be soon!
Quick back story. I have a 2001 GT which I have sort of turned over to my 17 year old son. Guys at work were bagging on Mustangs in general(not really car guys either.) I shot my mouth off and said "say what you want but my 2001 4.6 is faster than anything any of you own". Forgot one guy has a 72 El Camino, he called me out and wants to wager $500.
So here is the scenario, 1/4mi race to be ran at B.I.R, Wednesday night drags.

The cars: Me- 2001 GT 4.6 auto. Bone stock except for 18" wheels, BBC ceramic shorty headers(I know I know, but that ship has sailed). Recent suspension upgrades include lowered springs, and new shocks and struts. Tires are 235/40zr18.

Him- 1972 El Camino with Olds 455w motor, not built or modified. Transmission is the stock 72' Chevy 3 speed turbo hydramatic. Not sure about tires but can't run slicks, dot or otherwise.

Soooo? Do I have a prayer? Am I a huge underdog or giant favorite? Is it a toss up and comes down to driver/ reaction time? Honestly have no idea!

Also, I am willing to spend about $1000 to win the bet. Where do I spend the money? 3.73 gears? Air intake? Full exhaust? Tuner?

Keeping in mind I want to keep it a daily driver, and am a moderately decent mechanic. Would do all bolt on upgrades myself. Gears I would pay somebody.

Thanks in advance!

Looking forward to doing this, win lose or draw, should be a blast!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

For the money you want to spend I think you'll get the most bang for your buck out of gears. I had a 1970 El Camino SS that was pretty stock with a 396 and all I can tell you is my sons 2000 GT which is also pretty much stock with the exception of exhaust would not have done well in that race.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018
PONY Member

$1,000 to spend? Race him, after that race, bet double or nothing, then give him your $1,000.

Sorry.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
It all depends on if he can hook. That El Camino's light in the back, but the Olds 455 is an absolute monster, torque-wise. Long stroke, lightweight for its displacement.

I hate to say it, but if he's got it tuned well enough to run on at least 7 cylinders, you may have a tough time here. lol

Pretty sure you could top-end him due to less drag; if your car was really set up, maybe even take him off the line due to better weight transfer and hook - but from a rolling start, he's got every advantage in acceleration. With nearly 500 lb-ft of torque on tap, that thing's no joke.

On a road course, you'd toast him. But in a straight line?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ha. Yeah that's why I'm asking
I plan on doing more mods in the future. Should of just said I have a thousand more to spend right now. Recently put almost 2k into the headers and suspension and brakes, was planning on full exhaust for his birthday in August. Guess I'll just stick to that plan for now if I have no chance.
It's all good. Still will be a blast. I'll let you know how bad the beating is then.
Old Goat Ninja likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018
Apprentice

Garage
did this happen or not?
HuntingKy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page