Burnouts on Street tires ... the point? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

John Force style burnouts are best done by... John Force and 8000 hp. Doing burnouts must be done properly or you'll get pathetic tire life and/or no traction.

Boiling the tires does ZERO for traction. Overheating the tires brings the oils and resins in the rubber to the tread surface, making them slippery rather than sticky. A proper burnout is meant to clean the racing surface and put a little heat in them... not sit there a 1:30 and killing your tires. Unless he was just wanting to put on a burnout contest, he's someone who knows NOTHING about real racing.

Oh yeah, while we're talking street tires... dropping tire pressure on radials also kills your traction. Radials are meant to perform at the prescribed pressure (32-35 psi). Dropping pressure on radials causes the middle of the tread to rise off the surface, thereby causing you to have two thin rubber strips rather than the full tread surface. This is with street radials, they're not bias ply tires that expand when the pressure is lowered. In other words, DON'T lower tire pressure on street radials.

Drag radials are constructed to act like bias ply while giving the strength of steel belted radials.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
5.0L Member

reg...whats with everyone calling you out..this is like the second time in a week now...

but anyways...one thing i did disagree with is...

i actually noticed a huge difference when i did a burn-out in my street tires.. they are nittos 455s...which are street tires... they hooked 10x better when i did a burn-out. but maybe that was just in my case.

mustangs in the garage for a couple months....
RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1377 View Post
reg...whats with everyone calling you out..this is like the second time in a week now...

but anyways...one thing i did disagree with is...

i actually noticed a huge difference when i did a burn-out in my street tires.. they are nittos 455s...which are street tires... they hooked 10x better when i did a burn-out. but maybe that was just in my case.
with regard to calling me out

forgive give them for they know not what they do.....

nitto's IMO are strange that way.......

i say if it works do it just don't drive though the water box.....

Clean them ......

get some heat in them

stage

hit the loud pedal......

but with "most" street compounds the john force burnouts are just not needed.....

SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Nope, John Force style isn't needed. The length of time street tires need? Just long enough to have them smoke over, that's all. No dry hops either, your best launch will be right after the burnout... don't waste it hopping to the line.

AFM Site Administrator
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber1971 View Post
What is everybody laughing at the guy for doing a burnout. ive been bracketracing in street class for years and damn near everyone in street class does burnouts on street tires. you drive through the pits and pick up debris on your tires then you go through the water.
rlg is right on this one. (and many others)
PONY Member

Maybe he just wants to feel like a pro for a couple minutes! I really don't care when people waste their tires - I am much more bothered when people take cars down the track that you know are barely able to keep the fluids in on a regular drive and they race it anyway and wet the track all the way down.....
PONY Member

I learned the hard way on this topic - first not cleaning tires at all - then driving thru the water box to clean them - backing in then short spin but it still puts water in the wheel wells which can drip-- best is drive around short spin and go - also who ever said do not lower tire pressure is right on again learned the hard way so of us learn from others and some have to pee on the electric fench
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
I learned the hard way on this topic - first not cleaning tires at all - then driving thru the water box to clean them - backing in then short spin but it still puts water in the wheel wells which can drip-- best is drive around short spin and go - also who ever said do not lower tire pressure is right on again learned the hard way so of us learn from others and some have to pee on the electric fench
I've always wondered, when you drive through the water box then spin the tires just enough to get them dry, what about the water on your front tires. Your laying that down on the track in front of your traction tires, right?

Apprentice

I do it at the track because the idiots don't have a way around the water box. I'm certainly not taking off On Wet tires.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Banned

A good track separates cars with street tires from cars with slicks. They let the guys with street tires run, clean and dry the track and then let the guys with slicks run. I don't think anyone should have a problem with a guy with street tires having fun. They pay the same as everyone else. The problem is with the track officials being lazy.

As someone said here, I find it humorous when people lower their air pressure too much on street tires. I start at 28 lbs and then take 2 pounds out. If it doesn't hook better I go up to 30. If it does hook better at 26 I'll try 25, but I've never had better 60's with less than 25. It seems to be different depending on the surface, the prep and the temperature as to what works best.

I always do a small burnout to clean the tires. Again, anyone that has an issue with someone doing that doesn't have an issue with me, or any other driver, but instead with the track officials that aren't doing their job keeping the track clean and safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page