2 part question about building a race car(s) - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2 part question about building a race car(s)

Hello DragRacers,
This is a 2 part question I have about building my first race car(s).
I think the first question I have is that I'll have a few cars I can
turn into race cars that are roller cars rite now. 2 are 87gt hatchback 5.0s,
and 1 is a 93 coupe 5.0. My first part of the question is should I pick
only one of the cars to make into a race car, or should I pick 2 of the
cars so that I have one backup? so that if i was working one one, the other
would be ready to race or if it would be twice the work and I should just
put twice the work and money into 1 car to make it better than 2 moderately built cars?

the second part of my question is this: i've been told in a few threads that I might
want to race a notchback/coupe because it is lighter than the hatchback. A few friends on here said they thought it didn't matter much between a hatchback and notchback for drag racing, its mainly your preference. And I've even heard from a notchback drag racer, that the rear end feels light when he's racing the notch back. So really, I've heard 3 different possible things about which would be better to race, or if it really is more of a preference, or would it be about more whats under the hood than the 200 or so lb difference between the hatchback and coupe.

1 more part, if I do choose to do 2 race cars. Should I pick the 2 87GTs so that I could know I was going to be racing an 87GT every time so if I have to sign up early for a race, I could put down 87GT. Or would it be just as easy to race one of the 87GTs and the 93 coupe as well. I think having 2 87GT drag cars sounds the simplest idea. Maybe doing the first one first, then when I get the first one about how I want it, do the second one maybe with some mods along the way?

I hope Im not overthinking this or being long winded, I just have been getting these rollers bought. Now its about time to choose if I'm going to race them or 'restore' them (for collection/street). The coupe is actually the most complete roller with a nice interior. The 2 87 GTs are more stripped down on the interior if that adds anything to the equation. So I look forward to hearing all ideas and advice.
Much Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010
RLG34750

If you choose to build two car you better have an orchard of these......

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moneytree6.gif.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	97360  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

don't have them...

RLG, I think you are right and got me thinking more logically.

I think it would be better to concentrate on building only one racecar completely first.
It would take at least twice as long to do two at the same time. Plus,
I'd like to get one on the track soon as possible so I think that helps
that I'll just be doing one for now.

so with that much taken care of, please weigh in on this question:
(and I've had some good PMs about this, but wanted to ask everyone at once)

should I pick one of the 87GT rollers with stripped out interiors or go with the 93 coupe with a good full interior and rip that interior out and make the coupe into the race car... please give all pros and cons you could see either way... I have a bunch in my head, but I want to see what you all think about that too. Thanks!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Settle on building one. Time and $$$. I would go with the coupe because its lighter unless it's a rust bucket. In that case I would then go with the car that has the most solid body of the bunch.

'07 Mustang GT 4.6 Auto C&L cold air, 3.73 gears, Diablo tune, and MT drag radials.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

thanks for the advice Kazman... I will build one because of time and $.

The coupe has the most solid body of the bunch, but its also the nicest
interior and 'newer' looking all over since it look like it was taken well care of and was a 93 vs the 87gts. The 87 GTs are in pretty good shape on the body and frame too, their interior is just down to 1 driver seat in each, so
I'm still going to have to give this some more thought. Thanks for the replies so far... please keep the advice on the coupe vs GTs coming.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010
RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gt85 View Post
RLG, I think you are right and got me thinking more logically!
I'm always right.....

Just ask Resse......
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

lol. well, I think you are right again...

cuz I've never heard u say anything wrong. Keep up the good words RLG...
your a big help to all of us here at the AllFordMustangs forum. for real.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG34750 View Post
I'm always right.....

Just ask Resse......

No don't ask me anything......I'm just a rookie! Lol.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

stang93: well, your car looks pro! and your knowledge seems pro as well! also, your not a rookie, you are a 'made member'...

I'm the rookie. wait, now it says im a 'made member' as well?!
cool... once I get one of my cars fixed up, I'll have to update my avatar.

I know stang93 has an awesome hatchback racecar... your car is definately letting me know I could race one of my hatchbacks if I can't bear to tear the interior out of that coupe roller...
RLG34750

Hatchback's Rule

FTW......
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG34750 View Post
Hatchback's Rule

FTW......
He's biased!

Get the notch. Its lighter, and looks better!

'87 COUPE, DSS 331, AFR 185's, XE282HR Cam, Victor Jr. Intake, Barry Grant Speed Demon 650, Long Tubes, PA Super Comp C4

11.49 @ 119 1.72 60'
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

haha. you guys are making it a tough choice for me since I'll be able to do
either, but only one or the other. From the 3 cars I'll be picking the 1 race car from (2 87 GTs and 1 93 coupe) I still can't decide, but I actually still have not even picked any of those up, but will soon so I think once I get them home and sitting side by side and keep looking over them for a good while, I'll know which one will be the best to make the race car. thanks again and I'm still open to all pros and cons but I really think both hatchbacks and coupes can make a great racecar if I can build it right.
Can anyone point me to some kind of basic/general resource to see which stock things you might want to change first for a 1/8 mile drag strip car (like a thread/post, or link to article, or link to video or something) if not I think I know a few things that can go into making a drag car, but heres a few things I kind of think but
not sure which is necessary at first or just to get the car running 'stock' im sure theres things I'll want to change right away for a drag car that wont be stock like this: draglites/slicks or radials?, a battery relocation or not necessary?, fuel cell (or can u run it with the stock gas tank for awhile?), front and/or rear suspension (or can you run with stock suspension for awhile) All my cars that I might make the race car is rollers that have everything stock but need a engine, transmission, some interior is already gone but drivers seat and dash and insturment panels is all there so where would a good place to start a build like that be for a pretty simple first build for someone who never built up a race car.
thanks for any more advice or info...
PONY Member

If the 93 has a good body don't use it for a race car. You might want a nice street car in the future. You can take a lot of weight out of the hatchbacks. I would start working on the rear end first, then a cage. start at the rear and work to the front. You do not have to have a high dollar car to race and have fun with. If you are new to racing a lightly modified car might be the way to start, you can always build from there. My 2 cents worth. 90lx bracket car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page