Roller Motor Build (is this a good rough plan?) - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Roller Motor Build (is this a good rough plan?)

Hello Drag Racers,
I have read a lot of info on this site about 302 motors and strokers based off
that block. I am about to start building/rebuilding my first roller engine...
I already have 2 5.0 roller engines, that I have not picked up yet. I don't know
of any mods they have had. They are complete engines, but stock as far as I know.
I was thinking of putting those straight into rollers I have, but get another roller engine to build for the race car (which is a 92 coupe). So I have found a couple roller engines/blocks that would seem to make a decent first racing build:

5.0 engine block, roller motor good project
or:
89 302 Roller Ford Motor
or:
1989 mustang 302 engine
(that last one is nice because its .040 bored over and has the b303 cam)

all of the above look like they will need some work and some new parts. I've been learning as much as I can about mods. I am still just learning about these engines, but I think from all the info I've learned on this site I have a basic plan for any of the above roller engines that I might get. It is a budget build with parts that would be affordable... If I got the one of the first 2, I'd leave it at a 302 standard bore, I'd get new shorty headers and H or X exhaust, I'd replace the heads with a gt40(p?) heads, I'd get a better upper and lower intake (maybe like an gt40 explorer intake or cobra intake?), b or ecam?, better aftermarket crankshaft?, and I think that is all I can think of for right now. I'm not sure if I should leave the engine EFI or go Carb on it. But regardless of EFI/Carb, could anyone make a guess on how much HP that engine would make and a guess of ET on the 1/8 and 1/4 mile times that an engine like that would be capable of? I know that the engine plan is not a set/solid plan but more of a general basic idea, so I appreciate any insight to things I am overlooking or not understanding properly yet... thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010
PONY Member

I would go with the second motor. It sounds to be the most complete so you would have a lot less to buy to finnish it. The last one sound like it could be a problem child. If it was down on compression and standard bore it would be no big deal bore it .030 new pistons and rings and your good. But being .040 over and having bad compression is not good. when looking for a new motor standard bore is better because it gives you more to work with. If the motor is a fresh rebuild then .030 over is fine. I don`t like to take my motors out more than .030 over although some blocks can handel more. Good Luck!!

It's not how fast you go,but how you go fast!!!!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Stay away from #3 as that would be a waste of time. I would probably also go with #2 or look into a good reputable company that does short blocks like fordstrokers.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

hey dragorphan and smurf_stang,
thanks for the advice... I know what you all mean now about staying away from that third choice...
I have another question to ask. I see a lot of motors for sale like #2 choice that just says 'ford 302 engine' for sale. I was wondering, should I get an engine that was out of a mustang, or would any 'ford 302' motor work out of any ford vehicle that uses a 302? I'd think getting one from a mustang would be best, but I see a lot of ads for '302' and '5.0' that does not say what car/truck they came out of.

Also, when finding a roller motor to build for the 92 coupe, do I look for one that is a HO engine? If so, could someone explain what makes it a HO engine over other 302s? I'm sure that last ? is on the site somewhere and I think I've read it; I just can't recall. Thanks!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010
74stang2togo

A 302 is a 302 except for a few key things:

Early 302s (pre 1982) have a 28 oz imbalance crank, Late 302s (82 and up) have a 50 oz imbalance.

1985 and up 302s are roller cam compatible, earlier engines will require "retrofit" lifters if you want to run a roller cam (which can sometimes be worth the cost if you find a particularly good block such as an old Mexican high-nickel block).

Stock 302 heads in general suck, the degree to which they suck varies. Stay away from any heads built after the D50Es with "A3E" or "A3B" cast into them other than the "GT40" stuff.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

74stang2togo, thanks for the info.
So would pre 82 28oz imbalance crank be better than an 82 up 50 oz imbalance crank? I read somewhere else on this site that the 28 is a benefit in some way? Or would the 28 vs 50 oz imbalance not matter much?

Also, I've seen those Mexican high nickel blocks for sale:
SBF Mexican 302 block
they seem to be pretty expensive for a block. 250 was cheapest
I could find and some went much higher...

I hve one more question for this post: someone told me to stay away from 351w engines that was out of a truck... is that the same for a 302 engine? I found one out of a truck that comes with a transmission:

302 motor and transmission

should i inquire farther about that or not mess with it since its a truck 302?
I might just buy one out of a mustang to start with... it seems like it would be easier to work with.
I'm new to engine builds so I'm still trying to understand what foundations to start with to build upon.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

OR
I just got some info on another one I had inquired about:
sounds like a good deal:
89 302 Roller Ford Motor

The owner said when I emailed them:
"it came out of a crown vic.no its not an h.o. i thank the only diffant is the cam.it was going in a mustang"

I might be overthinking this, or underthinking this or just making it complicated by looking at 302 /5.0 motors from other vehicles other than a mustang... I think I'm getting more confused since I thought to get build a non stock engine and considering parts out of a non mustang vehicle. But as long as I reach my goal of building a nice 302 mustang race car engine, thats what I am trying to accomplish. so more guidance/advice is appreciated...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010
GT Member

Start with a standard bore block. Put a stroker kit in it.
Look around craigslist and find some good aluminum heads for cheap.
Do spme research on Comp Cams. They have some nice cams. STAY AWAY FROM THE B CAM!
If going EFI get Holley Systemax intake. If you can afford it, get the Systemax top end kit. It makes nice power.

'87 COUPE, DSS 331, AFR 185's, XE282HR Cam, Victor Jr. Intake, Barry Grant Speed Demon 650, Long Tubes, PA Super Comp C4

11.49 @ 119 1.72 60'
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

stroked95gt, thanks for the advice. I did some searches and this is the best thing I found so far... do you think this would be worth it?:

ford 302 stroker engine kit

the other kits I saw cost a lot more, but what do you think?
thanks
RLG34750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gt85 View Post
stroked95gt, thanks for the advice. I did some searches and this is the best thing I found so far... do you think this would be worth it?:

ford 302 stroker engine kit

the other kits I saw cost a lot more, but what do you think?
thanks
Avoid that like the plague......

if you want a stroker kit check this out......

: Pro Power : The engine parts professionals
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

How much do you want to spend and how fast do you want to go? If you want a budget rebuilt then start with an explorer motor and you got the heads and intake there already.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

hey RLG, thanks for the advice and link. that propowerparts place sure
does have nice kits. I don't know if I'm going to afford a complete kit right away, so I might just try to get a complete roller engine that was running when pulled and get that and do the upgrades one at a time, or just a few that I can afford while its out before I put it in (heads, headers, intake...)

Smurfstang: that sounds like that might be a good idea for me since I would want to do the heads and intake and a couple other upgrades (cam, crankshaft?,headers/exhaust) while it was out, but not get a complete stroker kit, so I could still keep it a 302. I think the most I'd want to go on my first race engine would be a 306. I'm not sure thou and still thinking about this. If I did get an explorer engine, do you know what year models would fit a 92 coupe? What modifications of the explorer engine would need to be made to fit into the coupe?
thanks!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

well, I looked for some explorer engines but didnt find any I can afford yet.

I did find this mustang block:

Mustang 5.0, 302 Engine Block bored .30 over
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

You could hit up any junkyard and have seen those engines for about $400. Plus there is more out there than craigslist

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010 Thread Starter
PONY Member

hey smurfstang, your right. thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking around and see what I can find (explorer motor wise)

Regarding a mustang engine from a mustang... can you get a roller mustang engine and change the heads only or would you have to change more than the heads for the first mod?
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page