Drag racing on a budget - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
5.0L Member

quick question out of all the articles i read everyone always talk about HP and bolt ons i never hear about practice with your car. i went to the track last year and i ran a 14.4 and two of my buddys drove the car and couldnt get out the 15's.. same thing with my buddys camaro he went 12.6 i took the car and did a 11.6 just to show power isnt everything if you cannot put it to use..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket93 View Post
quick question out of all the articles i read everyone always talk about HP and bolt ons i never hear about practice with your car. i went to the track last year and i ran a 14.4 and two of my buddys drove the car and couldnt get out the 15's.. same thing with my buddys camaro he went 12.6 i took the car and did a 11.6 just to show power isnt everything if you cannot put it to use..
The Driver Mod is critical.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
The Driver Mod is critical.
Well i upgraded some i had a stock 2012 drag mods would be tune lower control arms and also my new to me micky thompsons
I ran a 14.7 with 2.73s and stock 500 tread wear bfg bikr tires and also 100* day track tempcof 130
Tune i wanted for less throttle lag
Control arms because wheel hop and they are cheap
And mickys because they had 90% tread left amd were about 225$ off buying a new set
Im hoping with the new stuff and now more experienced i hope i can break into the 13s

2012 v6 6MT: 32kmiles
Current: Air Raid CAI, Diablosport intune, FRPP sport axle backs, Strut tower brace, 3.7 emblems, eibach adjustable sway bars, J&M lower control arms, 3.55 frpp gears, axle exchange aluminum drive shaft, 19 inch BBP wheel set up
wants:no more issues
2002 mazda miata 5MT "track rat
Future" Custom valved and springs Fat cat motorsports, 9LB wheels, toyo proxxs r888, turbo pushing 250whp, sparco seats, custom roll bar

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkid9234 View Post
Well i upgraded some i had a stock 2012 drag mods would be tune lower control arms and also my new to me micky thompsons
I ran a 14.7 with 2.73s and stock 500 tread wear bfg bikr tires and also 100* day track tempcof 130
Tune i wanted for less throttle lag
Control arms because wheel hop and they are cheap
And mickys because they had 90% tread left amd were about 225$ off buying a new set
Im hoping with the new stuff and now more experienced i hope i can break into the 13s
^^totally doable!

PONY Member

Man, i cant wait for winter to be over and the track to open. My biggest goal for this year is to run mid 12's. I've done a bit to my car and still only managed to run 13.50's for my best in 2012. This year the car will get around a 3000rpm stall, silverfox valve body, UPR lower control arms(maybe uppers too), subframe connectors, new MSP cap n rotor for sure. Then possibly Strange 10 way adj front struts, CAI, electric fan, and a few other odds m ends, and removing the front sway bar for track use, im hoping like hell that'll launch me into the mid 12's. 12.50's is the goal for 2013 for my budget build. You guys who've done budget builds think with the 3000 stall, VB, and new control arms w/ drag radials alone will take me from 13.50's to mid 12's? Im getting anxious as hell to find out! This New York weather is killing me!

1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback

2012 best 1/4 mile time: [email protected]
2013 best 1/4 mile time: [email protected]
2014 best 1/4 mile time: [email protected]
2015 best 1/4 mile time: [email protected]
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtnRicers5.0 View Post
Man, i cant wait for winter to be over and the track to open. My biggest goal for this year is to run mid 12's. I've done a bit to my car and still only managed to run 13.50's for my best in 2012. This year the car will get around a 3000rpm stall, silverfox valve body, UPR lower control arms(maybe uppers too), subframe connectors, new MSP cap n rotor for sure. Then possibly Strange 10 way adj front struts, CAI, electric fan, and a few other odds m ends, and removing the front sway bar for track use, im hoping like hell that'll launch me into the mid 12's. 12.50's is the goal for 2013 for my budget build. You guys who've done budget builds think with the 3000 stall, VB, and new control arms w/ drag radials alone will take me from 13.50's to mid 12's? Im getting anxious as hell to find out! This New York weather is killing me!
You can dooooo it! Suspension, converter, and DRs should get you there.

Banned

Check us out for all your FOXBODY NEEDS ! ALL FORD MUSTANG members will receive 5% off any product we make ! A lot of awesome products !

www.doubleaaperformance.com
https://www.facebook.com/doubleaaperformance
Rookie

OK, my mods include magnaflow x pipe, BOSS IM, JLT CAI, J&M LCAs, 3.73 gears, BAMA 93 Tune in a 12 GT Automatic. My best time is 12.48 1/4 @ 114.47 mph with a 2.0057 60ft :-( Ordered BMR panhard bar and Eibach pro-springs. I am also running Nitto 555 DRs in 275/60/15s. Not much spin out of the hole. good time between 1/8th and 1/4 finish. Problem is my 60ft. Should be at 1.80. None of the hp calculators even come close to my 60ft, 330ft, 660ft and 1/4 finish, (matching start and finish times/mph). According to my finish mph, I should be at 11.9 or 12.0. Any thoughts?

Paladin6591

Given permission to purchase the GT once home from Iraq!!! I love my wife!

Black 2012 Mustang GT: Automatic, 3.73, Boss Intake Manifold, JLT CAI, Nitto 555R 275/60/15s, BAMA 93 Race Tune. Best times so far: 60ft - 1.93, 1/8th - 7.99 @ 89.61mph, 1/4 - 12.48 @ 114.24mph
SHELBY GT 350 Member

It sounds like you're fighting the torque converter. The stock converter is notoriously tight.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015 Thread Starter
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93mustang View Post
Autolite makes some decent racing plugs cheap!!!! They have where the electrode is shaved to give a better spark. My case AR33/AR32 they are only $2.79 each.

Cross reference some for you car and give them a try for the price of them. I can't see spending over $30 for plugs.
I have found this site regarding plugs. If you're racing and tuning you're gonna go through plugs.

Found this site where they have decent prices but you get better deals if you buy more. In my case (application) if I bought 4 sets of plugs, I'm getting them at d*mn near a dollar cheaper each!

https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=7916

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
Apprentice

Thanks for the link.
Danford1

------------------------------------------------------
Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those that are busy doing it.
Apprentice

Garage
Nice write up!

'15 GT w/PP - Deep Impact Blue - Kooks Long Tube Catted Headers & Cat-Back w/H-Pipe; Steeda ProFlow CAI; BBK 85MM Throttle Body; Tuned by Evans-Tuning; Steeda IRS Subframe Bushing Support System, Alignment Kit, Support Braces, Urethane Differential Bushings, and Vertical Links; Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft; Ford Performance GT350 Halfshafts; Ford Racing Short Shifter; JLT Oil Separator; Silver MMD V-Series Stripes; AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-20 oil, Severe Gear Rear Diff and Trans Fluids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page