Trunk mounted battery, the correct way! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Trunk mounted battery, the correct way!

Most people know that relocating your Mustang's battery to the trunk improves weight distribution and adds traction, but not everyone knows the right way to do it. In short, most sanctioning bodies require a trunk mounted battery to be in a sealed box with a vent tube run outside the trunk. Also, an externally operated battery cut off switch needs to be installed.

UPR Products offers an aluminum battery box kit which includes the Positive Battery Cable, Negative Battery Cable, Aluminum Battery Box, Grommets, Cable Mounts, Battery Hold Down, Nuts and Washers, Wing Nuts, Vent tube and Fitting, Battery Cable Ends, and Threaded Rods.

Here is the aluminum battery box kit:
1979-2013 Ford Mustang NHRA Legal Aluminum Battery Box Kit - UPR Products

and this is the battery cut off switch:
Battery Cut Off Switch - UPR Products

Used together, this combo will safely and legally relocate your battery to the trunk, putting more weight over the rear tires and adding to the all important GRIP!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012
Banned

Thumbs up

I second that ! And it looks like a good one. Send your business to UPR instead of one of the two octopii in Ohio.

After you get your battery box, go to Pep Boys with a bathroom scale and get the heaviest, cheapest bigass battery that will fit in the box. That's how I've done it !

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012
MACH I Member

Only thing I question is the "sealed" part of the deal. Meaning I do not have mines inclosed but secured the proper way with of course cut off switch. I've run at Joliet twice now and those inspectors there are monsters :hihi:, they have warned me about a couple things like they type of roll bar padding I was using......not legal, SFI rated but not suited for single digit runs. Go figure! Making sure I had bolt in front valve stems instead of the pull through but never once said anything that my battery was not sealed.

These guys looked at everything with me. I have a fuel cell cover since I have a hatch without putting a block off cover to seal from driving compartment, they opened to make sure it was grounded. Battery is right next to the cover.

So maybe that "sealed" part of it could be at the inspectors discression. Or.....if you putting down some serious power.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member

do you also sell the battery relocation kit?

1998 GT full bolt on, HP: unknown ET:14.3 @ 97mph
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nined8vertible View Post
The first link Sharad listed. Unless your meaning without the box?

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member

i may be wrong but if it is in a trunk like on mine it does not have to be sealed but in a hatch it does

88' coupe 387 ci poor boy stroker eagle 3.85 crank stock 351 rods (5.956) stock 5.0 pistons (4.00) c-4 built by PTC, 4.30 8.8 rear end 1.49 60 foot 6.99 1/8 mile 97.18 Mark Sullens E-85 carb UPR suspension
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member

oh i see now at first i thought that was only a box

1998 GT full bolt on, HP: unknown ET:14.3 @ 97mph
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
PONY Member

doesnt need to be sealed if trunk is totally sealed from passenger area with a fire wall
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber2012 View Post
I second that ! And it looks like a good one. Send your business to UPR instead of one of the two octopii in Ohio.

After you get your battery box, go to Pep Boys with a bathroom scale and get the heaviest, cheapest bigass battery that will fit in the box. That's how I've done it !

It's funny you said that about the heaviest battery. I used to run a stereo shop, and the owner used to compete in stereo competitions. He taught me that the lead plates used in batteries have a lot to do with how well they work. He said to disregard some of the big claims from a lot of the manufacturers, and said a heavy battery means tons of lead which means good power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93mustang View Post
Only thing I question is the "sealed" part of the deal. Meaning I do not have mines inclosed but secured the proper way with of course cut off switch. I've run at Joliet twice now and those inspectors there are monsters :hihi:, they have warned me about a couple things like they type of roll bar padding I was using......not legal, SFI rated but not suited for single digit runs. Go figure! Making sure I had bolt in front valve stems instead of the pull through but never once said anything that my battery was not sealed.

These guys looked at everything with me. I have a fuel cell cover since I have a hatch without putting a block off cover to seal from driving compartment, they opened to make sure it was grounded. Battery is right next to the cover.

So maybe that "sealed" part of it could be at the inspectors discression. Or.....if you putting down some serious power.
You probably have a rear firewall since you're running a fuel cell. Firewall makes an unsealed battery mount legal.

Quote:
Yup, the link I posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93mustang View Post
The first link Sharad listed. Unless your meaning without the box?
^^this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post
i may be wrong but if it is in a trunk like on mine it does not have to be sealed but in a hatch it does
To be NHRA compliant, trunk has to be sealed off if you're not running a sealed box or if you have a fuel cell in the trunk, and I don't think the seats and the deck count. But I believe your car has an aluminum firewall, right?

Quote:
oh i see now at first i thought that was only a box
Nope. Everything's included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangted1963 View Post
doesnt need to be sealed if trunk is totally sealed from passenger area with a fire wall
Correct.

Apprentice
S197 Member

Is it best to locate the battery on the right rear side of the trunk or does it matter?

2006 GT, Procharger DX1, 5R55s SuperStreet Fighter, CMDP, Kooks LT headers w/catted H-pipe, FR500S Mufflers, JLT CAI , UPR Adj UCA, J & M Rear Non-Adj LCA, 4.10 gears, PTC Torque Converter, Tranny Cooler, Drive Shaft Safety Loop, BMR Tubular Radiator Support delete, Aluminum Driveshaft, M/T Street Radials
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx21 View Post
Is it best to locate the battery on the right rear side of the trunk or does it matter?
Funny you mention that. People usually go to the right side to balance the weight, but my boss recommends mounting it on the left side since the body roll usually causes the left side of the car to rise. Me, I'm into symmetry so I mount mine in the center.

I guess the short answer is that there isn't really a right or wrong place to mount it.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
I guess the short answer is that there isn't really a right or wrong place to mount it.
The driver is in the left front so the battery should go in the right rear; at least that is how Shelby did it in the original GT350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mufp_0108_09_+carroll_shelbys_mustangs+_gt350_trunk_and_battery.jpg
Views:	6002
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	163306  

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_the_Pearl View Post
The driver is in the left front so the battery should go in the right rear; at least that is how Shelby did it in the original GT350.
This was one of the modifications done by Shelby. Owners quickly complained of battery fumes and a shelby vented battery cap with a venting tube was then installed. Still the trunk battery was nixed after approx 300 cars and battery's returned to under the hood. Shame is that Mr. Shelby didn't have the UPR kit available back in the day.

'07 Mustang GT 4.6 Auto C&L cold air, 3.73 gears, Diablo tune, and MT drag radials.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
Owners quickly complained of battery fumes ...
Complained of fumes; is this why the Mustang is considered a chicks car?

2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.

Banned

The right rear is also the side the solid rear axle tries to unload, so it's the place trunk batteries have canonically gone in.

Fumes - hydrogen sulfide mixed with hydrogen isn't my idea of a good time either, but Shelby could have vented it. In those pre-internet days, everybody didn't know what everybody else (drag cats) was doing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page