Trunk mounted battery, the correct way! - Ford Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Sharad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 6,462
       
Trunk mounted battery, the correct way!

Most people know that relocating your Mustang's battery to the trunk improves weight distribution and adds traction, but not everyone knows the right way to do it. In short, most sanctioning bodies require a trunk mounted battery to be in a sealed box with a vent tube run outside the trunk. Also, an externally operated battery cut off switch needs to be installed.

UPR Products offers an aluminum battery box kit which includes the Positive Battery Cable, Negative Battery Cable, Aluminum Battery Box, Grommets, Cable Mounts, Battery Hold Down, Nuts and Washers, Wing Nuts, Vent tube and Fitting, Battery Cable Ends, and Threaded Rods.

Here is the aluminum battery box kit:
1979-2013 Ford Mustang NHRA Legal Aluminum Battery Box Kit - UPR Products

and this is the battery cut off switch:
Battery Cut Off Switch - UPR Products

Used together, this combo will safely and legally relocate your battery to the trunk, putting more weight over the rear tires and adding to the all important GRIP!



Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sharad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012
Banned
 
Grabber2012's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Westford
Posts: 1,345
 
Thumbs up

I second that ! And it looks like a good one. Send your business to UPR instead of one of the two octopii in Ohio.

After you get your battery box, go to Pep Boys with a bathroom scale and get the heaviest, cheapest bigass battery that will fit in the box. That's how I've done it !

Grabber2012 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012
MACH I Member
 
stang93mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Elgin
Posts: 3,134
 
Only thing I question is the "sealed" part of the deal. Meaning I do not have mines inclosed but secured the proper way with of course cut off switch. I've run at Joliet twice now and those inspectors there are monsters :hihi:, they have warned me about a couple things like they type of roll bar padding I was using......not legal, SFI rated but not suited for single digit runs. Go figure! Making sure I had bolt in front valve stems instead of the pull through but never once said anything that my battery was not sealed.

These guys looked at everything with me. I have a fuel cell cover since I have a hatch without putting a block off cover to seal from driving compartment, they opened to make sure it was grounded. Battery is right next to the cover.

So maybe that "sealed" part of it could be at the inspectors discression. Or.....if you putting down some serious power.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
stang93mustang is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
nined8vertible's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Reading
Posts: 308
 
do you also sell the battery relocation kit?

1998 GT full bolt on, HP: unknown ET:14.3 @ 97mph
nined8vertible is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
MACH I Member
 
stang93mustang's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Elgin
Posts: 3,134
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nined8vertible View Post
do you also sell the battery relocation kit?
The first link Sharad listed. Unless your meaning without the box?

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
stang93mustang is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
Apprentice
5.0L Member
 
Deer Assassin's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Kingston Springs
Posts: 234
 
i may be wrong but if it is in a trunk like on mine it does not have to be sealed but in a hatch it does

88' coupe 387 ci poor boy stroker eagle 3.85 crank stock 351 rods (5.956) stock 5.0 pistons (4.00) c-4 built by PTC, 4.30 8.8 rear end 1.49 60 foot 6.99 1/8 mile 97.18 Mark Sullens E-85 carb UPR suspension
Deer Assassin is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
PONY Member
4.6L Member
 
nined8vertible's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Reading
Posts: 308
 
oh i see now at first i thought that was only a box

1998 GT full bolt on, HP: unknown ET:14.3 @ 97mph
nined8vertible is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012
PONY Member
 
mustangted1963's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Albany
Posts: 909
 
doesnt need to be sealed if trunk is totally sealed from passenger area with a fire wall
mustangted1963 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Sharad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 6,462
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber2012 View Post
I second that ! And it looks like a good one. Send your business to UPR instead of one of the two octopii in Ohio.

After you get your battery box, go to Pep Boys with a bathroom scale and get the heaviest, cheapest bigass battery that will fit in the box. That's how I've done it !


It's funny you said that about the heaviest battery. I used to run a stereo shop, and the owner used to compete in stereo competitions. He taught me that the lead plates used in batteries have a lot to do with how well they work. He said to disregard some of the big claims from a lot of the manufacturers, and said a heavy battery means tons of lead which means good power.



Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93mustang View Post
Only thing I question is the "sealed" part of the deal. Meaning I do not have mines inclosed but secured the proper way with of course cut off switch. I've run at Joliet twice now and those inspectors there are monsters :hihi:, they have warned me about a couple things like they type of roll bar padding I was using......not legal, SFI rated but not suited for single digit runs. Go figure! Making sure I had bolt in front valve stems instead of the pull through but never once said anything that my battery was not sealed.

These guys looked at everything with me. I have a fuel cell cover since I have a hatch without putting a block off cover to seal from driving compartment, they opened to make sure it was grounded. Battery is right next to the cover.

So maybe that "sealed" part of it could be at the inspectors discression. Or.....if you putting down some serious power.
You probably have a rear firewall since you're running a fuel cell. Firewall makes an unsealed battery mount legal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nined8vertible View Post
do you also sell the battery relocation kit?
Yup, the link I posted above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93mustang View Post
The first link Sharad listed. Unless your meaning without the box?
^^this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post
i may be wrong but if it is in a trunk like on mine it does not have to be sealed but in a hatch it does
To be NHRA compliant, trunk has to be sealed off if you're not running a sealed box or if you have a fuel cell in the trunk, and I don't think the seats and the deck count. But I believe your car has an aluminum firewall, right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nined8vertible View Post
oh i see now at first i thought that was only a box
Nope. Everything's included.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangted1963 View Post
doesnt need to be sealed if trunk is totally sealed from passenger area with a fire wall
Correct.


Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sharad is offline  
Apprentice
S197 Member
 
styx21's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 80
 
Is it best to locate the battery on the right rear side of the trunk or does it matter?

2006 GT, Procharger DX1, 5R55s SuperStreet Fighter, CMDP, Kooks LT headers w/catted H-pipe, FR500S Mufflers, JLT CAI , UPR Adj UCA, J & M Rear Non-Adj LCA, 4.10 gears, PTC Torque Converter, Tranny Cooler, Drive Shaft Safety Loop, BMR Tubular Radiator Support delete, Aluminum Driveshaft, M/T Street Radials
styx21 is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
Sharad's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 6,462
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by styx21 View Post
Is it best to locate the battery on the right rear side of the trunk or does it matter?
Funny you mention that. People usually go to the right side to balance the weight, but my boss recommends mounting it on the left side since the body roll usually causes the left side of the car to rise. Me, I'm into symmetry so I mount mine in the center.

I guess the short answer is that there isn't really a right or wrong place to mount it.


Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Sharad is offline  
PONY Member
 
Earl_the_Pearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 653
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
I guess the short answer is that there isn't really a right or wrong place to mount it.
The driver is in the left front so the battery should go in the right rear; at least that is how Shelby did it in the original GT350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mufp_0108_09_+carroll_shelbys_mustangs+_gt350_trunk_and_battery.jpg
Views:	6002
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	163306  


2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.


Earl_the_Pearl is offline  
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
kazman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 535
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl_the_Pearl View Post
The driver is in the left front so the battery should go in the right rear; at least that is how Shelby did it in the original GT350.
This was one of the modifications done by Shelby. Owners quickly complained of battery fumes and a shelby vented battery cap with a venting tube was then installed. Still the trunk battery was nixed after approx 300 cars and battery's returned to under the hood. Shame is that Mr. Shelby didn't have the UPR kit available back in the day.

'07 Mustang GT 4.6 Auto C&L cold air, 3.73 gears, Diablo tune, and MT drag radials.
kazman is offline  
PONY Member
 
Earl_the_Pearl's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 653
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazman View Post
Owners quickly complained of battery fumes ...
Complained of fumes; is this why the Mustang is considered a chicks car?


2009 Mustang GT Deluxe, fake hood scoop, Ford Racing Bullitt cold air intake and tune, Hurst billet competition plus shifter.


Earl_the_Pearl is offline  
Banned
 
Grabber2012's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Westford
Posts: 1,345
 
The right rear is also the side the solid rear axle tries to unload, so it's the place trunk batteries have canonically gone in.

Fumes - hydrogen sulfide mixed with hydrogen isn't my idea of a good time either, but Shelby could have vented it. In those pre-internet days, everybody didn't know what everybody else (drag cats) was doing.

Grabber2012 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1