Drag strip prep work - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Drag strip prep work

Hey, new to the site but been a ford owner for some time. I recently took ownership of an 88 Hatch and I am interested in transforming it into a track car only. I have tried doing the daily 10sec rides and I would much rather have two vehicles than do that again. My motor plans are 408ci stroker prepped by fordstrokers.com. Their "liberator short blocks look to be one of the better done motors. A set of 205's would top it off and I want to go carb'd. Ultimately 9's with a full weight hatch all motor is my goal, so eventually I can keep gutting it for faster times. I decided to join the forums so I could see what those of you who have done this already think. I'm looking for suspension and motor combination tips mostly. I have only worked with new engines but I want to keep this old school (hence the carb). So let me know what H/C/I you think would work well for the power I'm looking for. Thanks.

2003 10th Anni Cobra (621rwhp)- Sold
2003 SVT Cobra (638rwhp)- Sold
2006 F-250 PSD (981rwtq)- Daily
1988 Mustang Hatch (???rwhp)- Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
Jozsefsz

For a 3300lb car to hit the 9's you're looking at 800+HP out of a 408. This is probably beyond the usual TrickFlow conversation if you're looking to stay NA.

Found this link, some good info in it.

800+HP Ford - Yellow Bullet Forums

This is getting into the 5-figures range however. Personally I'd be looking at FI.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
Banned

have you talked to woody? i'm sure he could fix you up.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys_sn95 View Post
have you talked to woody? i'm sure he could fix you up.
Plus one!!!! A lot of things to consider. Trans type, rear end and suspension. NA = High compression = race fuel.

There are GREAT DEBATES on trans selection. Top three......PG, C4, or TH400. Then you have to get that stall converter right.

Talk to as many people as you can. People who work specifically in the subject/area your concerned with at that time. Don't talk to a trans guy about converters if he doesn't build them! Not all trans guys knows converters well like they know a trans. (If that makes sense)

And of course........money talks, BS, keeps BSing!

Have all your specs available to help the pros understand your combo.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Whoa, 800+ for single digits? A TF top end kit will net 11.90's on stock 302ci, and thats rated for 360 crank horsepower. I wasn't expecting that much power for such a light car. I mean maybe for a 3800#+ car. In my 03 I went 10.70's full weight with slicks. Maybe I should just gut the thing now and see what I can get out of it. Realistically I was counting on a 408 with the right heads cam combo to net somewhere around 650 at the crank all motor and run in the 9's with full suspension and trans. Is any of this inconceivable? I appreciate the heads up and I will be sure to ask around for more expert opinions, hope I don't sound too naive, that's why I joined after all.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker88 View Post
Whoa, 800+ for single digits? A TF top end kit will net 11.90's on stock 302ci, and thats rated for 360 crank horsepower. I wasn't expecting that much power for such a light car. I mean maybe for a 3800#+ car. In my 03 I went 10.70's full weight with slicks. Maybe I should just gut the thing now and see what I can get out of it. Realistically I was counting on a 408 with the right heads cam combo to net somewhere around 650 at the crank all motor and run in the 9's with full suspension and trans. Is any of this inconceivable? I appreciate the heads up and I will be sure to ask around for more expert opinions, hope I don't sound too naive, that's why I joined after all.
You can get into the single digits with under 800hp! Have you read my siganature! No it don't say a single digit time but I promise I have no where near 800! BB or SB, HP is HP. Weight and traction plays big part!

There are cars out there with waay more HP than me but I have faster 60's and sometimes better ET's.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I mean guys in Fox's are cutting 2sec off their ET with just full suspension upgrade with same motor. I've always wanted a Fox to race for that reason, these things are so light that they're 10sec cars with 400hp or less. I think I will build the 408 on the side while sprucing up the 302. Any opinions on how a CHP 347 stroker kit will mix with the Trick Flow 360hp top end kit? They rate it at 360 at the motor, but I figure the bigger cubes will net more power, or won't gel at all with the H/C combo. The condition I got this car in kinda needs a little something before I make a pass in it.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
MACH I Member

I've cut 2 secs off my time and almost 3 without opening my motor except for valve adjustments over the last 6 years!

Reese,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012
Jozsefsz

Quote:
Whoa, 800+ for single digits?
Didn't mean to raise the blood pressure. There are obviously a number of variables, and by 800 I mean flywheel hp which is around 700 rwhp. Also I guessed at the weight (you said a full-weight-hatch), lowering that can make a huge difference (a 2500lb car can get into the 10's with 400rwhp).

1/4 Mile ET Calculator (this calculator gives a guess without considering many of those variables, it just determines how much horsepower it takes to get a hunk of weight moving and assumes some parasitic losses)

Here's another one, gives similar numbers: http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php (use RWHP here).

But yes, guessing at the weight of your car (3300) the horsepower required to lower your ET by an entire second seems to be around 100hp. A 200hp car could do around 15, 300hp in the 13's, 400hp in the 12's, 500hp in the 11's, 600hp in the mid-10's, 800 in the high-9's.

These look like pretty reasonable numbers to me. They also point out the benefits of weight-loss over power-gains.

There are diminishing returns to power (drag, other parasitic losses) once you get to a certain point. To hit the 8's you'd need something like 1200hp. Don't even ask what it takes to run in the 7's.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Full weight from the factory (all fluids included) Ford said that a Hatch of that year weighs approximately 3069lbs (curbweight). So yeah, probably 3300 with me in it, but I guess I should just gut the entire thing now since it's going to be seeing a lot of track time.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Dropping weight will do wonders for you. You can get that hatch down to 2700 pretty easily. I would invest in a good cage and start from the bottom. No need to do a 347 for now while trying to build a 408 on the side while you could be working on the suspension and chassis first.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I ran 10.17 @ 132 with 525rwhp on UPR Pro Series suspension. The car had a nine second ET in it, but I parted it out shortly after running the 10.17.

You can run 9s NA with a built 408 and good suspension.

Mustang Parts & Performance - UPR Products

My friend Dave's 408" N/A Mustang has run 9.90s on UPR Pro Series suspension:

Dave Mustang wheelie 4.wmv - YouTube

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Full weight from the factory (all fluids included) Ford said that a Hatch of that year weighs approximately 3069lbs (curbweight). So yeah, probably 3300 with me in it, but I guess I should just gut the entire thing now since it's going to be seeing a lot of track time.
A factory GT hatch is around 3300-3400 pounds.

My GT with aluminum GT40X heads weighs 3280 as an example with all accessories and regular interior and spare.

That 3069 number seems low for an unstripped car.

1989 GT - Show Car Project
Mods: AFR165 - Comp XE264-12 cam, WC T5Z, Tmoss Cobra Intake, full bolt-ons, 305 rwhp / 345 rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page