Starting from new!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Starting from new!!!

So before i take and get myself into trouble i want to be able to take and get some good advice from everyone. Me and my cousin came across a 89 mustang coupe and then i made some phone and got a hold of a 460 for free.

I want to get everyone advice on how to make this the best drag car for a person that is their first build and also first drag car. Any tips on what tranny, rear end, basicly how you would setup it up if it was yours.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudrunk03 View Post
So before i take and get myself into trouble i want to be able to take and get some good advice from everyone. Me and my cousin came across a 89 mustang coupe and then i made some phone and got a hold of a 460 for free.

I want to get everyone advice on how to make this the best drag car for a person that is their first build and also first drag car. Any tips on what tranny, rear end, basicly how you would setup it up if it was yours.

Thanks in advance
Wow........where do you want to begin?!?! BTW......this is also my first drag car build.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, to start with i wanted to go with all fiberglass, a one piece dash, lift off trunk, a whole front end, and a 5' cowl induction hood. All of those parts are fiberglass. But we are tearing out all of the interior, and going with a bucket seat, 5 point harness. But after that i dont have a clue on what else i should do. And i figured i would see what everyone would think on what size rear end, what gears to run in it, what suspension.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012
MACH I Member

WHOA...........slow down!! I all ready see you waisting money!

Fiberglass is not worth it except for the hood so you can put that money elsewhere. If it is going to be track only car for sure then you could gut the dash. If that's what you want to do so be it.

You want track only car, fast......why are you putting a 6pt cage in there? Do it right the first time and at least put a 8-10pt. with 10pt. being my choice.

Is this for a 1/8 or 1/4 mile car? What kind of trans do you want to run? (manual or auto) What size gear depends on what trans setup you choose. Do you want to be able to run pump gas? A custom drive shaft will have to be made no matter what trans you select. Foxes didn't come with a BB! The rear end needs to be a beefed 8.8 min. or a mild/wild 9".

Need to get an aftermarket K member for it to fit well in there. Any will do supporting a 5.0 motor. Of course the oil pan for it too.

Make sure you have a suffiecient fuel system cause these motors are thirsty.

There is a ton more to be considered but ask yourself these questions then you can move into the actual motor build.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page