Height of 2000 GT on trailer? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Height of 2000 GT on trailer?

Hey Guys,

Planning to park my mustang in the garage on a trailer. Building it for track only so it'll need to be trailered to the track. Didn't take the height of the garage door into consideration until I started thinking about the trailer. Does anyone know the approximate height of a mustang on a car trailer?? I have a 79" opening from the floor to the opened door.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013
GT Member
S197 Member

Best thing to do is measure the cars current height, then add that to each trailer you look at and make sure its under 79".

2007 GT500 - White, Blue stripes, 2010 clutch, JLT123, SLP Loudmouth, VMP tune, AFCO heat exchanger, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks. #360 of all GT500 coupes. 13,000 miles.
RWHP - ?? ~500
_______
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6spd - Daily Driver
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Good idea but don't have a trailer place close by. Plan to do a little scouting this weekend.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013
MACH I Member

It is a thought to take into consideration but IMO......seems to me car no where near ready and no trailer owned. If I am correct, the trailer should be the last thing you should be worried about. If I am wrong........I apologize for being wrong.
Me as an example have a track only car for 7 years and still don't own a trailer! When I put the thought into getting one, I have such good friends they tell me to put the money into the car dont worry about the trailer. Not saying everyone could have it that way but with the right friends who knows.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Various types of trailers out there so that will come into consideration.

Also like stang93 said I would worry about the trailer after I have everything else ironed out.

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

My plan is to be at the track in April. I have to take the trailer into consideration because the area I live in doesn't allow trailers to be stored outside. It has to go in the garage so if a standard trailer won't fit I'll have to either custom order with offset axles or come up with something else.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93mustang View Post
It is a thought to take into consideration but IMO......seems to me car no where near ready and no trailer owned. If I am correct, the trailer should be the last thing you should be worried about. If I am wrong........I apologize for being wrong.
Me as an example have a track only car for 7 years and still don't own a trailer! When I put the thought into getting one, I have such good friends they tell me to put the money into the car dont worry about the trailer. Not saying everyone could have it that way but with the right friends who knows.

I agree the best place for the cash is in the car but what happens if something breaks? I'm an hour plus away from the track.

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
I agree the best place for the cash is in the car but what h. pens if something breaks? I'm an hour plus away from the track.

I know where you're coming from 100%! I didn't know if you had the car ready or not. I also know what you mean about trailer storage cause my sub division is the same way and I admitt.......i had the same thought as you.

Btw.........something else is a storage lot or a buddies property and pay him.

93' LX hatch, 460 w/150 plate, TH400, 9" w/ 3.60 spool. Best (so far!) of [email protected] 146 mph with 1.40 spinning 60' on steel heads
Reese,
Been saying single digit coming for 3 years.....guess I finally made it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

16' open car trailer was the best mod ever. Took a few friends home from the track as well.

A trailer is a lot wider than a car. Width must be considered as well as height when pulling into a garage.

'07 Mustang GT 4.6 Auto C&L cold air, 3.73 gears, Diablo tune, and MT drag radials.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

I used a car dolly trailer that I got used for $100 for a while. It served it's purpose till I got everything ironed out with the car. Trailers are big and take space plus you can pick them up cheap if you wait for a good deal. Think about it

2016 VW GTI 4 door DSG
1989 Sonic Blue Mustang LX Coupe, 349 ci,
392 rwhp 424 rwtq....Mustang Dyno
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers-
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I'd consider a dolly. I'm going with an automatic for bracket racing so I'd have to disconnect the driveshaft to tow. A small inconvenience for the money and storage saved.

I also considered a tow bar, realizing that I'd have to fabricate some brackets and cut out the bumper. Either a tow bar or dolly still leaves me with a problem if something like an axle breaks but chances are that won't happen.

kazman, I'm glad you mentioned the length. I was wondering if I could get by with a 15' ?

1999 V6

2000 GT

One's Nice, One's Nasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page