Drag suspension - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Drag suspension

I recently lowered my car and have been having real bad wheel spin issues off the line. I ordered some parts to correct pinion angle and lower control arm angle but those won't be in for a while and I have some heads up grudge matches to race in before they get here. Could putting my factory rear springs back in the car help with getting my control arms and pinion angle back so I don't spin so bad? May be a dumb idea but I'm still trying to learn all the workings of the suspension and I don't know on this one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
You got to have the lca brackets to lower the lca's. Then you'll get the
traction back, the upper control arm will adjust the pinion angle.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I have those parts ordered from UPR, they just wont get here in time for me to install them before my track day. I was hoping that throwing the rear end back up would correct pinion and control arm angle temporarily.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013
Apprentice

i got the same problem, the only thing i could do to help it was just roll it out, sucks but i couldnt find any other way

Accufab 75mm plenum/tb; Accufab tb/plenum spacer kit; Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake manifold; MMR Fuel Rail kit; 3:73 gears; Predator chip; Ten rear axle; BBK o/r x pipe; Flowmaster Original 40s; American Thunder catback; stage 2 RAM clutch; MMR Fuel Rail kit; and some other goodies.
1/4 mile-13.7 @ 102/ 1.82 60'
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

That's what I did when I ran street ET on Saturday. I couldn't hook so I figured since it was bracket I would just be easy on the gas and consistency shouldn't be too hard. Dialed my slowest time ever, a 14 flat. Got into the finals after a 14.033 on my first pass, then I must have gotten excited cuz I ran a 13.7xx on my next pass ending the day for me. I still had allot of fun and that's what counts but it was getting aggravated over the times I was putting down... I'll get it next time.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelTX View Post
That's what I did when I ran street ET on Saturday. I couldn't hook so I figured since it was bracket I would just be easy on the gas and consistency shouldn't be too hard. Dialed my slowest time ever, a 14 flat. Got into the finals after a 14.033 on my first pass, then I must have gotten excited cuz I ran a 13.7xx on my next pass ending the day for me. I still had allot of fun and that's what counts but it was getting aggravated over the times I was putting down... I'll get it next time.

I did almost exactly the same thing last time i was at the track. Except i ran a slowest of 14.3, fastest of 13.7 tho, so i feel ur pain lol, im sure theres a better way to launch these cars set up like this, one of us will have to find it eventually

Accufab 75mm plenum/tb; Accufab tb/plenum spacer kit; Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake manifold; MMR Fuel Rail kit; 3:73 gears; Predator chip; Ten rear axle; BBK o/r x pipe; Flowmaster Original 40s; American Thunder catback; stage 2 RAM clutch; MMR Fuel Rail kit; and some other goodies.
1/4 mile-13.7 @ 102/ 1.82 60'
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelTX View Post
I recently lowered my car and have been having real bad wheel spin issues off the line. I ordered some parts to correct pinion angle and lower control arm angle but those won't be in for a while and I have some heads up grudge matches to race in before they get here. Could putting my factory rear springs back in the car help with getting my control arms and pinion angle back so I don't spin so bad? May be a dumb idea but I'm still trying to learn all the workings of the suspension and I don't know on this one.

You didn't mention what year your car is and what mods it has. But it looks like you already ran it.

You can hit me up for tech help pretty much around the clock at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I thought I would bump this instead of start a new thread. To pick up where we left off, my car is a 2012 V6 auto. I have a short ram intake, muffler delete, 3.73 gears, DSS aluminum drive shaft, SR springs, aluminum pan hard bar, and Bama hybrid tune for performance mods. That was the set up when I had my bad day of 14's... Easily the slowest the car had ever run.

Since this I have installed LCA relocation brackets (thank you UPR) and my times have came back down to a 13.5-13.7... I still feel I'm not getting everything I can out of the car and wheel spin is still killing my 60' times. I think the biggest issue now is my rear tires. I have 235/40?/17 pilot sports now and despite them being new I still can't get them to hook... Am I fighting a pointless battle trying to get these tires to hook up? I recently began working for myself so I don't have the money to throw around like I used to until I get my business rolling. So I was trying to remedy this without having to spent 600+ on wheels and tires because I just can't spend that kind of cash on my toys at the moment. I have been all over Craig's list and race junk but no love. I was hoping that maybe someone would read this and have an idea of what I could do to help get the power down...

Another option I have considered is removing the rear lowering springs and putting the stock ones back in. Some guys had mentioned it might help with weight transfer but honestly, that's a little over my head and I'm not sure if they knew what they were talking about or mad that I just beat there 5.0 fox.

Thanks,
TX

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Like you say, you need gripping tires. See how expensive Kumho's are
if they come in your size. Remember to burnout a few times to get the
tires broke-in.

2012 Candy Red 3.7 Cyclone {RIP}
2014 3.7 Cyclone DIB\BMR rear lca;s\ American Racing razor 18x9\275/40/18 Yokohama S-drives\Boss 302 strut brace\Airaid "tube"& aFe inverted Dry-S drop-in\UPR catch can\Koni sports\J&M cc plates\DSS 3.5" 1 piece
Bassani\BMR adj. panhard\
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Yup, upgrading your tires will make a day and night difference!

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I guess I will have to save up over the next few weeks and try to get some wide wheels for cheap somewhere. Lightly used tires can usually be found for cheap around Orlando, I know a guy who buys smashed sports cars for his junk yard, maybe he has something hidden away.

what do you think about the rear spring idea? Its easy enough to swap out rear springs on these cars.... maybe its a dumb idea, but thats why im asking lol

thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page