First time at the 1/4 mile - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

First time at the 1/4 mile

So i went to the track here in fayetteville for the first time yesterday. First time at any track. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted. most fun ive had in a long time. I am also pretty impressed with my car, bone stock 2013 GT... well i painted the hood vents and got some head light covers... worth about 20 HP right?

I'm pretty sure it was obvious it was my first time doing anything like this. made so many mistakes and was just lost in the sauce. But i got it all figured out.

My fastest time ended up being a 13.31, which surprised the crap out of me. Didnt think i could run a time that fast. I definitely need help with my launch, but i read the tips sticky and i think next time my reaction time will get a lot better as well as my time.

There was a guy with a 2008 GT that had a whipple SC. beat him once, the highlight of my week lol. very helpful guy tho. very nice car too.

Other than whats in the stickies... does anyone have any tips or pointers? anything drag racing related... track etiquette, launch, shifting... im a cherry but i want to get good at this so bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

Practice, practice, practice.
Oh, and more practice.

Nice win over the Whippled GT.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
Practice, practice, practice.
Oh, and more practice.

Nice win over the Whippled GT.
definitely going to be practicing a lot. Ill be at the track every weekend that im able to go.

he was definitely running faster than me tho, the one time i beat him was definitely just driver error. but hey, a win is a win lol

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013
Jozsefsz

Driver error, or as you said, just a really nice guy. Your best time is very respectable for a beginner.

One piece of advice that many seem to ignore, if you're going to be doing this a lot, your car insurance is likely completely off the table once you hit the track.

So if the thought of rolling that nice 2013 because someone jumped into your lane and making payments for the next 5 years on a car you no longer have doesn't appeal to you, then you might want to line something up.

If you're independently wealthy then feel free to ignore.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013
Apprentice

Don't tell your ins that it happened at track.....obviously.

Might have to get creative depending on damage though.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013
Jozsefsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJAG View Post
Don't tell your ins that it happened at track.....obviously.

Might have to get creative depending on damage though.
Not sure if time in a federal penitentiary for insurance fraud sounds a whole lot better than paying for a car you no longer have.

Supplemental insurance sounds better, or only racing a car that you can afford to lose - my preference is this.

A couple of good articles (old but good)... http://www.circletrack.com/safety/ct...e/viewall.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/au...SURE.html?_r=0
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

IMO racing on the track is safer than the ride to and from work. First rule in safety is that if anything at all feels wrong lift off the gas.

'07 Mustang GT 4.6 Auto C&L cold air, 3.73 gears, Diablo tune, and MT drag radials.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

yea i agree with all you guys. i was pretty lucky when my dad taught me how to drive. he took me on a dirt road with an old stick shift pick up of his and pretty much forced me to learn how to handle a sliding vehicle. given pavement+higher horsepower and speeds all change things quite a bit. ive got a decent savings just in case. but i do race solo as much as i can for now until im confident I wont be the guy drifting into the wrong lane.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt1989 View Post
So i went to the track here in fayetteville for the first time yesterday. First time at any track. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted. most fun ive had in a long time. I am also pretty impressed with my car, bone stock 2013 GT... well i painted the hood vents and got some head light covers... worth about 20 HP right?

I'm pretty sure it was obvious it was my first time doing anything like this. made so many mistakes and was just lost in the sauce. But i got it all figured out.

My fastest time ended up being a 13.31, which surprised the crap out of me. Didnt think i could run a time that fast. I definitely need help with my launch, but i read the tips sticky and i think next time my reaction time will get a lot better as well as my time.

There was a guy with a 2008 GT that had a whipple SC. beat him once, the highlight of my week lol. very helpful guy tho. very nice car too.

Other than whats in the stickies... does anyone have any tips or pointers? anything drag racing related... track etiquette, launch, shifting... im a cherry but i want to get good at this so bad.

Is it a manual trans car? If so, my advice is to master the raised RPMs / clutch slip launch. It takes a lot of finesse, but I've seen stock coyotes run quicker than 2.0 60-foot times with some finesse.

After that, add UPR suspension and sticky tires. You'll run low 12s.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Apprentice

im going next wednesday it will be my first time too. Is your mustang a manual? i have a 2013 GT auto.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

yea mine is a manual. im heading up there this sunday with some buddies
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
Is it a manual trans car? If so, my advice is to master the raised RPMs / clutch slip launch. It takes a lot of finesse, but I've seen stock coyotes run quicker than 2.0 60-foot times with some finesse.

After that, add UPR suspension and sticky tires. You'll run low 12s.
what exactly is the launch method you're talkin about?
ski
GT Member
S197 Member

The raised rpm/clutch slip launch method involves raising the rpm's while simultaneously slipping(slowly releasing) the clutch. When done correctly the engine doesn't bog, and the tires spin only a few feet. Then, once the tires grab traction the gas pedal is quickly and smoothly pressed to the floor(Don't stab it). The key is to go WOT as quickly as possible from a standstill without bogging or excessive spinning.
The rpm level and amount of clutch slip during launch is a trial-and-error process that depends mostly on the traction capacity of your tires' and the track, and the DA(ambient temp, humidity, altitude).
Suggest you also experiment with rear tire pressures. Lowering it may increase traction.
Also, stay out of the water box if possible with street tires.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

and also, watch out for "tire slime"! I read all the stickies and other threads before I went, but none of them mentioned this, so I was completely unprepared for it. Once my tires got slimy, everything else went right out the window; no amount of launching finesse could possibly overcome it.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...n-problem.html

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
The raised rpm/clutch slip launch method involves raising the rpm's while simultaneously slipping(slowly releasing) the clutch. When done correctly the engine doesn't bog, and the tires spin only a few feet. Then, once the tires grab traction the gas pedal is quickly and smoothly pressed to the floor(Don't stab it). The key is to go WOT as quickly as possible from a standstill without bogging or excessive spinning.
The rpm level and amount of clutch slip during launch is a trial-and-error process that depends mostly on the traction capacity of your tires' and the track, and the DA(ambient temp, humidity, altitude).
Suggest you also experiment with rear tire pressures. Lowering it may increase traction.
Also, stay out of the water box if possible with street tires.
ok thats what ive been trying to do but i havent perfected it yet. ive either bogged or go too much spin. i plan on lowering my tire pressure a bit this time, and i found out about the water box too late lol. but yea, im heading up there sunday, ill post new times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page