How to improve the 60? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

How to improve the 60?

Begging for advice here please. I have a 2011 V6. BMR LCA's, Lakewood Drag shocks, Zex Nitrous kit running a 75 shot, MT drag radials, with 3.73 rear end. Car is Auto. I have the window switch set to kick in at 2500 rpm's and off at 6800. My problem is this, running N/A I pull a 2.2 60, running the juice, I pull a 2.1 60. I know the car is capable of doing much better in the 60, but can't figure out what is going on. I have tried just lightly warming the tires up and really smoking them, both ways seem to produce the same 60. Car runs 12.8 to 13.2 consistently in the 1/4. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. This 47 year old man is tired of his little brother beating him at the track.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013
Site Sponsor

Is it spinning?

Dylan Abbott
[email protected]

www.bmrsuspension.com

VISIT FOR PRODUCT ADVICE, TECH AND SUPPORT ON FACEBOOK. www.facebook.com/BMRMustangSupport
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013
PONY Member

4.10 s and better suspension and warm up them stickies

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member
V6 Member

Once I learned how to really warm up the tires, it is not spinning that I know of. I did try a new tune instead of the BAMA tune and datalogged both. The new tune took .5 seconds off the 0 to 60, so I am starting to wonder if it is in the tune. As far as the suspension, I have put Lakewood Drag shocks and new lower LCA's on it already.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013
PONY Member

If you are a huge racing person dump the back seats and other unnecessary weight that will help too. Run on a minimal amount of fuel too going down the track. There's a lot you can do. How much money and time are you looking at or just trying to improve a bit

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisgolf View Post
Begging for advice here please. I have a 2011 V6. BMR LCA's, Lakewood Drag shocks, Zex Nitrous kit running a 75 shot, MT drag radials, with 3.73 rear end. Car is Auto. I have the window switch set to kick in at 2500 rpm's and off at 6800. My problem is this, running N/A I pull a 2.2 60, running the juice, I pull a 2.1 60. I know the car is capable of doing much better in the 60, but can't figure out what is going on. I have tried just lightly warming the tires up and really smoking them, both ways seem to produce the same 60. Car runs 12.8 to 13.2 consistently in the 1/4. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. This 47 year old man is tired of his little brother beating him at the track.
It sounds like you definitely have some awesome mods! However, those 60-ft times are really high. It sounds like you're definitely spinning of the line or not launching hard enough. What type of springs are you running? Have you thought about running a bigger Converter?

What are you launching at?

-Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013
Apprentice

What you want when you launch is one spin out of the tire, then once the weight transfers to the rear it should hook great. If you keep dead hooking you will eventually break something and get a bad 60ft because of bog... unless you have a 4.xx rear to prevent some of that bog.
... In your case it sounds like way to much spin. Try messing with the tire pressure until you get about one spin then hook.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013
Apprentice

Front sway bar still on? If so, take it off the car.
Drag shocks only on the rear will not do very much for you. Get some Strange adjustable struts for the front, set them to 2 clicks.
Start at 15-16 lbs in the MT's, Heat them up real good, then launch hard right off idle. They should stick if the track prep is good, but they still might spin a bit if you're running right after a joker with street tires in your lane. Ideally you want about 1/8 -1/4 diameter tire spin, hook, front end lifts some, and then you're gone.

2009 GT , Brenspeed B326, Stage 1 heads, E-Force - 633 rwhp / 623 rwtq

2016 Ecoboost Premium, Bama Tune, JLT CAI, CPE Charge pipes, Mishimoto Intercooler, Tial BOV, Turbosmart 10psi Wastegate Actuator, 3" Downpipe, JMS Boostmax & Pedalmax, FRPP Borla Touring Axlebacks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member

I'm thinking the torque converter is holding it back.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
Apprentice

Try adj uca & set your pinion angle. Installing stall convertor would also help. What are you running for springs? Every thing you do should improve your 60'.

2012 premium GT,kona blue,bembro package,3:73 rear. 620 RWHP To many mods to list see profile
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharad View Post
I'm thinking the torque converter is holding it back.
Bingo. The stock converter will flash under 3k rpm. You can rev to 900 rpm or 2500 rpm at the line, and floor it at the light, and your 60' time will stay the same (or get worse). Been there, done that.
The biggest help on 60' times is a higher-stall converter.
You already have 373 gears; going to 410's would help a little as well.

Also, make sure traction control is off when you're launching. This can really mess you up at the line!

Mike -- 2005 "The Beast" (Formerly a V6, now a forged/stroked 5.0L V8 sportn' a Kenne Bell 2.6L @18psi, and many mods
2006 4.0L w/Powerhouse turbo and TR-6060 :kooky:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page