What I learned 1st season - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

What I learned 1st season

This stuff is old hat to the experienced racer but thought I would share what I learned in my first year.

The Mustang is a great car right out the door and if you are serious about 1/4 the very first thing you should do is invest in drag tires your call on what type. If you start adding power without taking care of traction things will get worse not better believe I learned this the hard way.
If you drive a 6 speed and I think this is by far the most fun at the track, then I would invest in a short shifter - not sure how the 15 will be but it made a huge difference in my 13 - no missed shifts and a lot quicker.
Along with the tires makes some changes to suspension, the stock is very flexiable -
Then to the power mods - depends on budget and how fast yoou want to go - I have seen 6 speed mustangs with just the above mods done turn mid 12 with ease.
Last talk to other racers, they are always willing to help - Taska racing was a great help to me as well as guys I met at the track
Do not expect too much too early - The left foot right foot driver Mod is key especailly with a 6 speed.
For us in the Northeast it will be a long winter - Maybe take up ice racing LOL

2013 GT/CS lots of Mods and will be running Hoosier Quick Time Pro Bias Plys 27 10 15 next spring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
This stuff is old hat to the experienced racer but thought I would share what I learned in my first year.

The Mustang is a great car right out the door and if you are serious about 1/4 the very first thing you should do is invest in drag tires your call on what type. If you start adding power without taking care of traction things will get worse not better believe I learned this the hard way.
If you drive a 6 speed and I think this is by far the most fun at the track, then I would invest in a short shifter - not sure how the 15 will be but it made a huge difference in my 13 - no missed shifts and a lot quicker.
Along with the tires makes some changes to suspension, the stock is very flexiable -
Then to the power mods - depends on budget and how fast yoou want to go - I have seen 6 speed mustangs with just the above mods done turn mid 12 with ease.
Last talk to other racers, they are always willing to help - Taska racing was a great help to me as well as guys I met at the track
Do not expect too much too early - The left foot right foot driver Mod is key especailly with a 6 speed.
For us in the Northeast it will be a long winter - Maybe take up ice racing LOL

2013 GT/CS lots of Mods and will be running Hoosier Quick Time Pro Bias Plys 27 10 15 next spring
I'm not sure I'll take my car to the track. It's more than 10 years since I was last there but if I do next year maybe I'll see you at New England Dragway next summer!

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013
Rookie

I can't agree more with the tires. I ran mickey thompson street et's on a 15x8. I was pulling 1.8's for a 60 and that was my first time out. With just cold air intake, tuner, roush axleback (barely any power) and those drag radials, I ran a best of 12.022 in the 1/4. I tried so hard to hit 11's that day but it just wasnt happening.. Im still proud of that time with just those mods. Especially after seeing what these other guys that day were running for times

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

That is by far the fastest time I have seen for any GT with those mods - you should scan the time slip from the track and send it into Drag times - I would guess you are auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page