Fronts Dragging Water to The line? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Fronts Dragging Water to The line?

I drive through the water box. Rip the tires, linelock, heat them up, roll out and prestage and stage. Lately I've been not hooking up as well as I use to.I even dropped my launch rpm down to 3500 from 4000. I hooked pretty well on my first time trail. I usually do a 2nd gear burn out, but the car kept on bogging down and stalling, so I had to do a 1st. gear burnout. There wasn't much water in the water box. On that run the car hooked the best it did all day. (1.9 60' time, 14.3 1/4 mile E.T.) I spun out bad in eliminations.
My fronts are BFG G-Sports (9.2" section width). I think I'm dragging water up to the line with the wide fronts and that's what's making my Nitto's not hook. I'm running 17psi on the Nitto's. I'm thinking of driving around the water box and backing in to it. I'll see if this works. Would the Nitto's be worn out already? I just started using them this April. I race every weekend.
Any help would be great!
Thanks

1993 GT Mustang / Stock 302 EFI / Edelbrock 5.0 Upper and Lower Intake / 75mm Throttle Body / C&L Cold Air w/76mm Mass Air / K&N Filter / Electric Fan / BBK Underdrive Pulley's / A.C. Removed / BBK Headers / Flowmaster / H-Pipe / T-5 / Alum. Driveshaft / 3.73 Gears / Eaton H.D. Posi / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / Line Lock / Driveshaft Loop / B&M Short Throw Shifter / 16" Chrome Cobra Wheels / Nitto Drag Radials Rear / BFG G-Force Sport Front / Racing Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/ Holley 190 lph Fuel Pump / Holley Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator / MSD EFI Blaster Coil/ Stock Heads/ 19# Injectors

1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / Tremec T-5Z / 4.30 Gears / Detroit Locker / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / BMR Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/

Best ¼ Mile Time – 13.08 @ 104mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006
Apprentice
2.3L Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

water

Hey man! I don't have any drag radial experience, but it sounds more like your tires are going away. I would try going around and backing in to the water box. If no improvement try launching with only a dry hop to clean em up. Also I always watch my 60' times and use that to gauge tire life left. Good luck, and keep it shiny side up, rubber side down!! Desert Dale.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Thanks for the reply. I have corrected the problem by lowering my launch rpms and have got 1.8 60' times. Poor track prep. and hot humid weather also were playing a roll in not hooking. I still drive through the water box and the car is back to hooking hard.
It's funny, something as simple as lowering rpm launch corrected this problem.

1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / Tremec T-5Z / 4.30 Gears / Detroit Locker / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / BMR Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/

Best ¼ Mile Time – 13.08 @ 104mph

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006
Banned
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FunkyBoss
I've heard too many people complain about traction issues with Nitto dr's. Do you run these tires on the street, or just for track duty? With your mods, you should be seeing quicker 60' times. With my MT ET Street radial, I can do a 5k rpm drop and hook up with no problems.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006
Apprentice
2.3L Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Launching

Glad to hear your on the right track. If you have any friends racing with another brand drag radial, try a swap and try to duplicate all factors. that way you can see if your particular tires are working the beat for your application. Just FYI, my race car runs 10:50 @ 130 and normally runs 60' times around 1.49, so I think your hooking pretty good. But don't be afraid to experiment, there are no hard and fast rules to drag racing, what works for one car may not work on your car. Test, test, test!!! Best of luck! Desert Dale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page