99gt looking for 12s this season - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Sure thing!

I have used Hoosier DR's in the past. They work very well on the drag strip. They're also known as "cheater slicks" because they are made of a slick like compound and have an extremely flexible sidewall. This makes them very desirable for the track, but not desirable at all for the street.

If you're going to use the 245 Hoosier DR's for your rims as a drag package, they'll work excellent! I just wouldn't run those tires on the street, even if they're a perfect fit for your rims. Not to mention they'll completely wear down within 5k street miles and zero burn outs.

Unless you're referring to a different Hoosier drag radial, similar to the MT ET Street radials or the M&H Racemasters. I didn't think Hoosier made a drag radial made of those R2 compounds though.

Shane
I wouldn't intend to use them on the street but would they be good enough to get me back and forth to the strip? Its a 20-30 drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmissig61 View Post
I wouldn't intend to use them on the street but would they be good enough to get me back and forth to the strip? Its a 20-30 drive.

Put it this way- It's not recommended by Hoosier or AM to drive those tires on the street, to and from the track. BUT I used to do it all of the time haha.

Just be careful of pot holes and take your time around corners. You'll be fine only using them to get to the track.

Shane

Will Levantovsky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Put it this way- It's not recommended by Hoosier or AM to drive those tires on the street, to and from the track. BUT I used to do it all of the time haha.

Just be careful of pot holes and take your time around corners. You'll be fine only using them to get to the track.

Shane
Shane thanks again for the advice I think I will get an extra set of stock alloys and get some Hoosiers on them for the track. My local strip opens in about 2 months! Its been a long winter her in northern Ohio.

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Shane thanks again for the advice I think I will get an extra set of stock alloys and get some Hoosiers on them for the track. My local strip opens in about 2 months! Its been a long winter her in northern Ohio.

I bet man! This weather is killing me here in southeast PA. I haven't seen the ground in over a month, only snow haha.

You'll love the Hoosiers though. They are a killer drag radial. It's just like the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial PRO tires. Except Hoosier conveniently makes them for 17" rims! I'm actually in the process of suggesting MT to do the same.

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
I bet man! This weather is killing me here in southeast PA. I haven't seen the ground in over a month, only snow haha.

You'll love the Hoosiers though. They are a killer drag radial. It's just like the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial PRO tires. Except Hoosier conveniently makes them for 17" rims! I'm actually in the process of suggesting MT to do the same.

Shane
Oh yeah same here, its been warm the last few days and the snow began to melt but cold weather is coming back.

With the Hoosiers how long of a burn out is required to get them sticky?

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Oh yeah same here, its been warm the last few days and the snow began to melt but cold weather is coming back.

With the Hoosiers how long of a burn out is required to get them sticky?

The first time you ever rip a burnout, you'll want to do a 6-7 second pull. After that, you won't need to smoke them very long. Maybe 3-4 seconds from then on? What I do is start smoking the tires and you'll feel them started to catch and push the car forward. This is when I usually let out. If you haven't burned out with a drag radial like this before, you'll see it's not like doing a burnout with a street tire. The Hoosiers get sticky VERY quick!

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
The first time you ever rip a burnout, you'll want to do a 6-7 second pull. After that, you won't need to smoke them very long. Maybe 3-4 seconds from then on? What I do is start smoking the tires and you'll feel them started to catch and push the car forward. This is when I usually let out. If you haven't burned out with a drag radial like this before, you'll see it's not like doing a burnout with a street tire. The Hoosiers get sticky VERY quick!

Shane
Good to know! Less burn out hopefully means a longer tire life and not needing a line lok haha. Is it better to to them in first or second gear?

Site Sponsor

Quote:
Good to know! Less burn out hopefully means a longer tire life and not needing a line lok haha. Is it better to to them in first or second gear?

Yes and no at the same time lol. Hoosiers are extremely sticky tires and are just like slicks. They don't tend to last very long, even compared to regular MT Street Radial. You'll see, you can literally rip chunks out of the tires with your finger nail if you wanted to.

I do all my burnouts in first gear. It's easier on the drivetrain and I don't have a link-lock either.. I'm "good" at driving and racing, but shifting while burning out in the pit is a pain in the ass without a line-lock!

I doubt recommend starting in 2nd gear and attempting a burnout with Hoosier radials. You'll quickly find out exactly how strong your clutch really is..

Shane

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Yes and no at the same time lol. Hoosiers are extremely sticky tires and are just like slicks. They don't tend to last very long, even compared to regular MT Street Radial. You'll see, you can literally rip chunks out of the tires with your finger nail if you wanted to.

I do all my burnouts in first gear. It's easier on the drivetrain and I don't have a link-lock either.. I'm "good" at driving and racing, but shifting while burning out in the pit is a pain in the ass without a line-lock!

I doubt recommend starting in 2nd gear and attempting a burnout with Hoosier radials. You'll quickly find out exactly how strong your clutch really is..

Shane
+1 on not finding out how strong the clutch is especially with almost 140k on the stock one haha. How long did your Hoosiers last you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page