Timing ? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Timing ?

Just about finished with some motor changes.

Need to get a baseline on where my timing should be. Below is my specs on the motor.

331 Stroker Kit
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads
Victor JR intake with 1 inch spacer
650 Double Pumper Holley. (dont remember jet size)
BBK Long Tube Headers
HEI style ignition (gm cap)
MSD 6A
Vacuum advanced removed and locked
The mechanical advance is still intact, but has a spring kit installed
Will be running 110 race fuel

At or below sea level.

car is stripped and very light

Will be paired with a C4 transmission with a 3500 stall

2 rear slicks and I am thinking a 4.11 rear gear

NO NOS

All accessorizes removed except alt, and water pump

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Cool almost identical

accept for the stroker kit and the auto trans.... I run the same set up (302 Windsor & 5 Speed trans, same heads, long tube headers, ETC.) in my bracket car. I run a total of 34 degrees of timing @ 4K RPM with a full MSD ignition system. I do not run at sea level...usually around 3000' of corrected altitude. My engine is 9.7 to 1 and has NOS that I have never used! I do not have a pre ignition or heating problem with this set up. That is not to say that more timing for you with an auto trans @ sea level might not be advantageous. Hope this helps...Don.

2011 Shelby GT 500, SVTPP Package all stock accept Foose Wheels, MRT rear window louvers, side pods from American Muscle.
1985 Mustang GT, Blue Printed 302 w 650 Holley, Twisted Wedge Aluminum Heads, Ram Clutch, Tremec 3550 built by D&D Performance, Aluminum Driveline, Auburn Locker w 31 spline Moser axles, 4:10 gears.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, I will set my baseline to that. What kind of times are you running? I should have it running again on Tuesday for the first time since switching from EFI to carburated.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My last outing was on the 1/8 mile and the car ran consistent 8.08 seconds. I am currently working on a clutch combination suited for drag racing instead of a heavy duty street set up. I am working my way toward the high 7 second 1/8 mile and mid 12's in the quarter.This engine is a lower compression engine @ 9.5:1 and runs on premium pump gas with no detonation.

2011 Shelby GT 500, SVTPP Package all stock accept Foose Wheels, MRT rear window louvers, side pods from American Muscle.
1985 Mustang GT, Blue Printed 302 w 650 Holley, Twisted Wedge Aluminum Heads, Ram Clutch, Tremec 3550 built by D&D Performance, Aluminum Driveline, Auburn Locker w 31 spline Moser axles, 4:10 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page