Hitting the track for the first time. - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenefise97 View Post
So tomorrow is Race day. How much of an effect will altitude have on my car if any?.

The elevation where I live is 6,000 feet, where I'm going to race is 2,500 feet and about 10-15 degrees hotter.

Temps are supposed to be in the mid 70's. I was thinking that the Air isn't as thin down there and might help me run a little better time.

Any thoughts?
Here is a link to the Drag Times density altitude calculator.
You can look up most of the drag strips in the country, plug in the date and time you are there, and it will give you the weather data, and allow you to use that weather data to give you your corrected times:
calculator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Well, just got back from the track, ran a little slower than I thought.

For the first time at the track it was a blast, and probably have gave myself a new addiction.

ran a 15.00 on the first run with 0.91 RT
ran a 15.07 on the second with a 0.97 RT

Due to some driver error these times can easily be improved.

Not a bad effort for the first time. I was happy with it.

2007 Saleen S281 3-valve #170
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Trying to post some pictures, technology is getting in the way.

Last edited by kenefise97; 03-22-2015 at 10:40 AM.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Hope this worked. Here is my time slips from Saturday.

Member Profile Pictures - Member Profile Photos - Mustang Picture Gallery - AllFordMustangs.com

PONY Member

glad you had a good time your 60 feet is what is hurting your time the most rule of thumb for every 1/10th you cut off 60 ft 2/10th off 1/4 mile time so if you get to even 2.0 60 you can be low 14 or better - seat time does it!!!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by olehead View Post
glad you had a good time your 60 feet is what is hurting your time the most rule of thumb for every 1/10th you cut off 60 ft 2/10th off 1/4 mile time so if you get to even 2.0 60 you can be low 14 or better - seat time does it!!!
Yeah, I observed and learned.

Going again in May, from what I learned yesterday I can surely get into the 14's. hope to have some LCA's by then, that should help.

Can't thank everyone on this forum enough for their insight and pointers, it helped me out a bunch.

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
I gained .3s just from practice alone...

What car is this anyway? A 15.0 seems pretty slow for any 3V GT but it looks like you have a Saleen?

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

1987 Mustang GT Hatchback - 2V Mod Swap In The Works

1997 Lincoln Town Car, PI Intake/Cams, Sofa-On-Wheels, "Fat Tony" we call it

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Geared / Cammed / 440wh 400wt - TOTALED 2/2019
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah its a Saleen, I ran pretty slow for what I have. Due to inexperience and the fact that I left my TCS on, I know that I can run better next time. Knowledge is power, and I learned quite a bit for my first time out.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenefise97 View Post
Yeah, I observed and learned.

Going again in May, from what I learned yesterday I can surely get into the 14's. hope to have some LCA's by then, that should help.

Can't thank everyone on this forum enough for their insight and pointers, it helped me out a bunch.
Traction control off, a more aggressive launch, and some LCAs will definitely put you in the 14s. I wouldn't even rule out 13s with enough practice. But as has been mentioned, the 60-foot time and the DA are both critical.

If you decide to go with UPR control arms, I can help you out with a discount. Let me know if you decide to go that route.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
Don't be afraid to shift it hard either quick shifts can really reduce times too...you will get it with practice.

The most important thing for us casual draggers is that we have fun...and it sounds like you did!

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah it was a blast, taking my car down the strip for the first time was quite a rush for me.

With the TCS off and no LCA's, should I launch at a lower RPM, say 2000. I get a little chirp on the street when I launch at that. With the track being a lot slicker I don't want to launch to hard and spin at the lights.

On my first run of 15.00, I launched at 2500, I would have had a better time but my dumb ass let of at the first cone of the speed trap. causing my average speed to be 86 MPH. Had I just kept my foot in it would have been in the 14's

On the second run 15.07 I didn't launch as hard and had a worse 60ft time but finished stronger at 97 MPH. TCS was on for both runs

When I go again in May I would like to see how much I can shave off with just some practice.

BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Garage
^ Do not try to dump the clutch and launch. Slip the clutch until you get traction and then gun it and shift hard. On street tires you always want to slip the clutch. In my car, I kind of hang the RPMS around 2k and when the light turns green I feather the throttle and slip the clutch until I get traction and then gun it. My car ran a 14.2 with a 2.0 60ft with 240whp, fat convt chassis, with the worse street tires known to man, and a highway rear end gear of 3.27. You ought to be in the low 13s with the right launch and good shifting. You will get there though it takes some feel...

Apprentice

Garage
Nice times for your first runs ! Perfect practice makes perfect

Lots of parts. Still slow
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I use to run low 14's with my 93 5.0 with the stock engine in it. But it took a while to get there, but I did it by changing simple things in the whole process. I would suggest getting another set of rims and drag radials, or even better Hoosier Quick Time Pros, and change them at the track. Drive around the water box and back in. This eliminates the fronts from bringing water up to the line so when you launch, your back tires don't spin from the water from the fronts. Point your drivers side rear mirror down so you can see the rear tire so you can see the smoke off the tires. When the starter signals you, rip the tires quick in the water box in 1st gear and roll ahead out of the water box about 4 ft. Shift into 2nd gear, rpms up to 4000 and dump the clutch( I would suggest a line lock) When the tires start to smoke and you feel the rpms bog, let off the line lock and roll out of the burn out. Then pre-stage, and slowly stage. For consistent launches, I would go with 3500-4000 rpms, depending on track prep etc... you may be able to go higher or have to go lower. Let the clutch out as fast as you can, I wouldn't slip it or dump it. Then for your shift points(I would get a shift light) would be a little over your peak horsepower per spec of your engine set-up. For example, my Gt40 crate engine is 5100 rpms and I shift at 5600rpms to keep me in the power band. You will have to experiment to see what yields the best times for you. Shift as consistently and quickly as possible without missing a gear though. It's not easy, but so much fun. I don't know if you are bracket racing or just seeing how fast you can go for times? In bracket racing you want to be able to run the same et every time. That's what wins races. And reaction times. Best bet for reaction times is not to watch the tree go down. Look at the yellow light before the green and leave when you see it flash. That way you are not anticipating the tree which results in a red light most of the time. have fun! Hope this helps.

1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / Tremec T-5Z / 4.30 Gears / Detroit Locker / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / BMR Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/

Best ľ Mile Time Ė 13.08 @ 104mph

Last edited by 93mustang; 03-29-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Rookie

Good luck man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page