1st Time 1/4 Mile A Car. Weird... - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sharad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

1st Time 1/4 Mile A Car. Weird...

Questions, but 1st some background. Have about 15 runs drag racing motorcycles, last night was the 1st time putting a car on the 1/4.

I have a stock daily driver 2012 Mustang GT 5.0 Auto, axle backs and wider(street) Sumitomo tires, 255 front/275 rear are the only mods. It even has the original paper airfilter and stock tune. Rear tires @30psi.

Heat index was close to 100 degrees, sunny(Gainesville, FL), my 1st run was [email protected], 60 ft was 1.99. No burn out, hooked up ok off the line, very little wheel spin through 1st gear.

Weird part is, it was the fastest pass I did all day/night. I couldn't beat or even replicate it. After the 2nd pass the tires would not hook up at all. 1st 3 runs I didn't do a burn out, 1st 2 hooked up, 3rd spun up through 1st and into 2nd gear.

So I did a little burn out for the 4th, wouldn't hook up. Same with the 5th. Why did it hook up so well the 1st 2 runs but none others??? I was going to drop the tire psi from 30 to 24, but was told doing that with street tires won't help.

It's my daily driver, so not looking at getting drag radials. I drive 25,000 miles a year.

Maybe the initial heat of the day sapped some hp/tq, enough to not spin the tires much? The cooler temps of the evening reduced traction and increased hp?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Oh, and I did a more aggresive burn out for the 5th run. Did not help.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Maybe your first time with a car, you were more cautious with the go pedal, got good traction and rolled into it. Then you might have been trying to lower your ET and started subconsciously hitting the gas too hard.
Also I've read and heard that burn outs through the water box are a no no for street tires. Although some have had success warming them up dry.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Good point, didn't think about that. I know on the 3rd pass I snapped the throttle open hard, the 4th and 5th I tried rolling on it smoothly.

I never used the water for burnouts, just drove around it. Kept the trac con off for every pass also and never used the decline assist button. Windows up, A/C off as well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

And I also stripped my trunk, 1/2 tank fuel.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015
PONY Member

Track conditions and or weather could have played a part in the difference.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If you're going to hit the drag strip more often, I'd invest in a spare pair of tires. Sticky tires will make a huge difference. (suspension upgrades help too. UPR!)
JonR2006 likes this.

Like us at Facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
Ask me about the discount on UPR Products for AFM members!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015
PONY Member

at that temp and humidity chances are your car also got hot - which kills power - these cars love that cool intake air - example best time in my car was at 50 degrees air temp and love humidity - the DA can make a huge difference- in extreme cases up to 3/4 of a second on a NA car- I have found a minimum o 20 minutes between runs on hot and humid days -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page