Stroker cam information - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Stroker cam information

I am looking at a new cam. I am turning 11.50's with this cam,
Duration 270/276, Lift .513/.513.
I was considering going to a, Duration 294/300, Lift .576/.600.
This is the suggested cam by comp cams tec. I was curious if anyone had made such a swap and was it worth it?
79 mustang 3000lbs with driver.
347 eagle stroker kit, GT40x heads, 3500 stall converter, 4.11 gears. Just a toy, not daily driver. I have the engine out for a freshen up. I am adding a Moroso deep pand, windage tray, comp cams short stroke race hyd roller lifters. Tunnel ram with 600cfm Holleys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016
MACH I Member

Cam selection is alway a difficult thing especially when not doing any clearance measurements.

Comp cam techs would keep you close as they can without worry. They deal with cams everyday. However they don't know specs of "your" build.

You can use the specs they gave you and get a roller cam. That would get you more RPM's.

You could also take the specs they gave and make it favor the exhaust side and close to your old for the intake side.

Either route you take.....it is an improvement over what you have.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

shop time

I have the heads in the shop. There seems there were a couple issues other than cam choice. I have 1.7 roller rockers so actual lift was more in the .544 range and considering what I do with the car, he seems to think that by cleaning up the GT40X heads I have will be a better bang for the buck. Someone did a little work on the exhaust side already but it was inconsistent. He is going to clean both sides up to get them to flow a little better. The valve guides needed done. He seemed to think that I was leaving a quite a bit on the table the way I was setup. The flow bench will tell. The cam is still an option and may still happen. I went with the short stroke comp cam hyd roller lifters. I should be running it up about 6500 now without any problem. He is replacing the springs also. He sais they were a little weak and I was probably floating already. The valve geometry was a little off also. It is fun to see a good head guy at work and have it all explained as he goes over it. I will post my next time slips so you can see if the head work helps any. My 60' is where I was really hurting. 1.6 and 1.7 suck. I am wondering what he will say about my timing curve?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
PONY Member

You will have to have this one ground but it will pick you up .
Intake 240 ish @ .050 lift with .550ish lift/
Exhaust 246+ with around .530-.540 lift
Have it ground on a 106-108MAX LSA and run it +4*s advanced.
"Catalog" hyd rollers are designed for EFI with the 112 LSA and it's too wide for a tunnel ram. You need about 150#s of seat pressure. The GT40X heads will get you there.
Randy

Last edited by Gt350HR; 04-28-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016
PONY Member

You need about 130lbs of seat pressure. I run the F cam with 1.7 Cobra bolt down rockers and can easily rev to 7,000 but I couldn't with the original Ford supplied springs. I also went to titanium retainers instead of the original steel ones. It's just a daily driver 408W but is similar to your 347 cam and head wise. I have an air gap intake on mine. 12.40s on street tires in a 3,800 lb '67 Ranchero on drag radials through the mufflers. Even an old man has to have a fun daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page