Ford Mustang Forum banner

Can I do this without blowing it up?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Gt350HR 
#1 ·
I have a 70 mustang with a Ford Racing H 6007 C 347. It's connected to a Performance Automatic C4 transmission, an aluminum driveshaft and a Currie 391 third member. The car is awesome fast but adding a lot more horsepower is always more fun. I want to either add a supercharger or a blower or nitrous or a combination of nitrous and blower or supercharger. Can I do this without over stressing the motor?

#2 ·
Call FRPP they will know for sure...........................
IMHO, yeah, 100 more hp/tq ok.....might need to set a little lower redline just to be safe especially with the NOX

#4 ·
You can add a power adder providing you know what your compression ratio is.

Turbo/ SC you need low compression with good APR bolts and head gaskets.

Nitrous you need APR bolts, forged pistons, good head gaskets. Compression could be anything. Just don't try to over spray it not knowing exactly what you have or.........Boom!

Also depending on how you are driving you may have to change the rear gear because with all you will wind up with higher RPM than before. Changing the gear will help keep them down.

#9 ·
Ehh maybe. Hate to talk bad about them but around 15 years ago I bought a ton of parts from ford racing. It said with these parts 320hp at the crank. So I installed them on my 95 mustang gt. Not to mention a few extra parts. It dynoed at 210 rwhp. Thought that it was super low and prob should make that minus the heads, cam and so on. Called up ford racing and told the guy everything and he said that it sounded correct. Dumb founded I asked that losing 110+ hp through the drive train on a T5 tranny sounds right??!? Then he said uuuhhhh I guess not. I (myself) had to find out that it's the computer in the 95 stang that hates major upgrades. But that was just one tech and one incident.

#6 ·
DC Pony,
You have too much compression for a blower or turbo. You do have forged Mahle pistons , ARP bolts and good gaskets already. You "MAY" be able to hit it with a 100-150 shot of NOS. I would ask Ford Racing about it first. If you don't , you could suffer rear tire failure from running over engine parts the pan failed to contain.

#8 ·
You can have a high compression motor and still add a sc or nitrous. You just need to know that with a sc you will have to run like 5lbs of boost and that's probably all. At least till you forge it or decrease the compression. Your motor with that compression and say 5lbs of boost will make the same power as say your engine with a 8-1 compression with 10bs of boost. There is a reason why high compression vetts can still add a sc on their high compression engine. But only run low boost.
With either it will need more fuel and def close in the plug gap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.