flowmaster stainless system stainless steel or ? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

flowmaster stainless system stainless steel or ?

i ordered the flowmaster 817116 american thunder for my 92 gt and took it to a shop to have it ceramic coated. They took a magnet tool to it and said it wasn't stainless since the magnet stuck to it. If there is stainless steel it's a very low grade. I wasn't happy since I paid good money for stainless and it isn't or barely. This is the first inquiry I've made about it and would like to know what is the system made of. They weren't trying to sell me something more expensive just showing me the difference in your system and another pipe that was stainless that didn't attract the magnet. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015
PONY Member

Steel is magnetic aluminum is not they are dumb

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i did some research and basically it is a low grade of stainless steel and there is some magnetism to it. Does make me question the shop tho.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015
PONY Member

Dont ever go back lol, any 8th grader will tell you steel is magnetic and aluminum is not. Even low grade steel will out last any aluminum junk pipes. Use the vht ceramic paint to help prevent any rust
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i went ahead and left it that day and they did a really good job. Hate to put on car now. p/u today and he said it's like a low grade but still a good system, kind of a buying generic something. Magnaflow is supposed to be all stainless but more $$, that's why i went with flow, get what you pay for. that system won't rust now, it's all coated.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015
PONY Member

Good to hear hope you enjoy it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015
Rookie

There are several different types of stainless steels. The two main types are austenitic and ferritic, each of which exhibits a different atomic arrangement. Due to this difference, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not. A ferritic stainless steel owes its magnetism to two factors: its high concentration of iron and its fundamental structure.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

i will, was going to install today but spent most of time taking down old system. Maybe this weekend.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

that hurt! I think he used the less magnetic steel as an example, it was some kind of turbo tube with a heat wrap of some sort that made of steel I believe. Either way I'm covered and know to get magnaflow next time.
Site Sponsor

Your Flowmaster system is made of 409 stainless steel and is backed by a lifetime limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. You can rest assured that you did not purchase a generic system in any way. Don't be fooled by competitors pictures of shiny systems that simply state that they are "stainless steel". Not only did you purchase the best sounding system for your car, it will be the last system that you ever have to purchase for your vehicle.

Flowmaster Inc.
Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6am–5pm PST, Sat 7:30am–5pm PST
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015 Thread Starter
Apprentice

thanks Matt. I was going by what the ceramic coating shop said. The last system I bought was a flow master and it was back in 1994 and lasted up till this point. When I took the old system down there was loose pieces of metal in the passenger muffler. I'm guess whatever is used to bounce the sound around rusted out or whatnot from condensation over the years. it wasn't stainless steel. I'll cutr it open sometine and see what is rattling around in there, not sure when it happened.
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemare View Post
thanks Matt. I was going by what the ceramic coating shop said. The last system I bought was a flow master and it was back in 1994 and lasted up till this point. When I took the old system down there was loose pieces of metal in the passenger muffler. I'm guess whatever is used to bounce the sound around rusted out or whatnot from condensation over the years. it wasn't stainless steel. I'll cutr it open sometine and see what is rattling around in there, not sure when it happened.
No problem, whitemare. If anyone else ever has any questions or concerns about Flowmaster products that they have purchased or are considering purchasing, please call our Customer Support Line at (707) 544-4761. We are here to help.

Flowmaster Inc.
Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6am–5pm PST, Sat 7:30am–5pm PST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page