Rookie

Garage
Horrible MPG

Good evening ladies and gents,

I own a 2014 V6 Vert with the following add-ons:
Airaid (oiled) Cold air intake
BBK 73mm Throttle Body
Bama tuner using 87 Performance tune

So I initially my MPG (mixed as I live next to a 45 zone and a ton of back roads) was around 20-21

After installing the CAI it dropped down to about 18MPG.
About a month later I then installed the BBK throttlebody and it dropped down to around 15MPG to help thinking I could get some MPG back I then bought the tuner this month and unfortunately I am now down to about 12-13MPG.

I've already cleaned and oiled the filter again as I just recently got a full synthetic oil change and was recommended to clean and reoil to maintain the performance gain but it didn't help any as I'm still getting around 12mpg. I contacted bama and they told me that they went through the tune again and found no problems on their end and one thing that stuck out to me was disconnecting the battery and waiting for the computer to reset and then trying again but reading some other forums it came to my attention that I've driven long enough for it to have learned the new A/F by now.
Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151018_192230_1446177534917.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	887.0 KB
ID:	474698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015
Rookie

Garage
I think If it was me I'd try unplugging the Battery and let the car relearn again, can't really hurt to try it right?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

are you doing Math or relying on the car's math? If car do it yourself. Look in the manual for idle-relearn try that. Is your tune written for the TB? I believe it needs to be...also (under WAG) did you use too much oil on the filter? Are your driving habits/style the same or are you having too much fun.

welcome to AFM

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
are you doing Math or relying on the car's math? If car do it yourself. Look in the manual for idle-relearn try that. Is your tune written for the TB? I believe it needs to be...also (under WAG) did you use too much oil on the filter? Are your driving habits/style the same or are you having too much fun.

welcome to AFM
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I am using the numbers that the computer was giving me. I also did include the TB when it was written. Also unfortunately it did not include the owners manual as I bought it used from an acura dealership...I'll see if I can get some info on how to properly do the reset and if that doesn't work I'll try to reoil the filter.
Anymore suggestions?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

you can find manual online but if I remember correctly shut off all accessories start it up and let it idle for 5 minutes...or something like that. I wouldn't trust the car numbers Do NOT over oil filter....
White3-7 likes this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
you can find manual online but if I remember correctly shut off all accessories start it up and let it idle for 5 minutes...or something like that. I wouldn't trust the car numbers Do NOT over oil filter....
Aftet checking the oil filter again it's pretty oiled I do think I did over oil it I'll be reoil ing it tomorrow night and doing it all over again and also buying a MAF sensor cleaner and also doing the restart after to completely make sure I'm clearing out any possibilities.

I'll post updates when I can.

Thanks!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by White3-7 View Post
Aftet checking the oil filter again it's pretty oiled I do think I did over oil it I'll be reoil ing it tomorrow night and doing it all over again and also buying a MAF sensor cleaner and also doing the restart after to completely make sure I'm clearing out any possibilities.

I'll post updates when I can.

Thanks!

So update yesterday I cleaned and let the filter dry all day and reoiled it.
I also got MAF cleaner and cleaned the MAF sensor.
I also disconnected the battery for 30mins and allowed the ecu to relearn idle.

So far I've noticed no improvement in the mpg but I'll continue driving today as "normally" as I can and post further updates...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
So far there isn't an increase of mpg whatsoever, I'll be doing a few more things to see what may or may not be causing the problem but there isn't much left.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

if you have not tried it yet do the math yourself.....also, are you reseting the MPG calculator on the car? If not it will take forever to change.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
So an update although I doubt anyone is really coming back to this thread...
Finds out the aftermarket Throttle body that I had just so happened to be bad sending it back to BBK to get everything all fixed up. Will still update this thread for future reference
PONY Member
2.3L Member

I'm quite happy with the 30+ mpg I get with the cruise set at 70,,, around 25 at 79ish. 2011 3.7 V6 with an automatic, and all stock parts.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page