• 1 Post By dgc333
  • 1 Post By Grimbrand
  • 2 Post By 07redstang
  • 1 Post By Dana W

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

New Headlights More Efficient?

I'm in the process of upgrading to new headlights. They are much brighter and I'm told more efficient - has anyone done a similar upgrade and noticed an improvement in fuel efficiency or is it all too good to be true?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016
BOSS Member

They are not brighter and they do not improve FE......if they are brighter, they are illegal and will get your car impounded by the LEO who is having a bad day.................

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the info - didn't think that these might not be compliant...

I have found a few different sites that are offering LED headlights I might check out. - what do you reckon?

Also: http://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-li/car-lights/vision-led - I am guessing these must be perfectly legal, tho I guess that depends where you live.

Would be interested if you have info to the contrary before I buy?

Thanks

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016
PONY Member

I saw some headlight upgrades on American Muscle which say they only require 10% of the power that stock lights use. However, I thought it was electrical power they were referring to. I wondered if using them would move my battery gauge needle higher. Didn't expect anything that would increase horsepower or mileage.

2006 GT Convertible, Regency Conversion, Satin Silver, Powerstop pads and rotors, Pypes Violators, shiny interior trim bits, alloy/ dead pedals.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016
BOSS Member

They are very likely expounding on PR material...the altenator the wiring is what will likely overload.

Flatheads ain't so bad!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions...decided to just go for it and invest in a LED headlights kit. Off work today so I have the chance to install - will report back with the findings!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018
Apprentice

Good choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
They are not brighter and they do not improve FE......if they are brighter, they are illegal and will get your car impounded by the LEO who is having a bad day.................
That is not true at all. You can most certainly can buy lighting upgrades that put more light on the road, consume less electricity and are legal. They aren't going to be cheap and you will never see an economy improvement due to the lower electrical consumption.

One of the worst thing folks do is to put HID or LED bulbs in housings designed for incandescent bulbs. They are certainly brighter but the bulb is not positioned in relation to the reflector correctly and will create a poorly focused beam with a lot of glare. Those will definitely attract the long are of the law.

Dave
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
That is not true at all. You can most certainly can buy lighting upgrades that put more light on the road, consume less electricity and are legal.

Dave

You probably don't realize, under federal regs, it's rated by total light output...... and just because a bulb is legal, doesn't mean it's legal on your vehicle......upgrading 2 lights...probably ok....upgrading 4 or more, likely looking for a citation and if you impair another driver resulting in an accident...... the total light output will be evaluated....if you exceed the regs....hold on, cause you're going to eat it..................

Flatheads ain't so bad!
PONY Member

If you buy a DOT approved HID or LED light assembly or a DOT approved bulb of the type for your light assembly you are legal.

I made a dramatic improvement in the lighting on my 68 Barracuda by switching to DOT approved Halogen sealed beams. All of my vehicles that use halogen bulbs get DOT approved high out put halogen bulbs. There are most certainly legal improvements you can make in your lighting.

Dave
Beechkid likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
It's shocking how few LED kits have any thought at all put into them. Most have very poor aim, and even if they are brighter, they may not help you, while simultaneously blinding everyone else. Additionally, many of them tend to burn up due to inadequate heat sinks. LED lights depend on being able to get rid of heat, and their brightness is dependent on it in the first place. As heat goes up, so does resistance, and the lights will dim because of it. It also shortens their lifespan.
Beechkid likes this.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

I remember back in the 70's that an aftermarket stereo was considered a hi performance upgrade.
Beechkid and Grimbrand like this.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I remember back in the 70's that an aftermarket stereo was considered a hi performance upgrade.
Hell, back in the 70's I thought of my divorce as a performance upgrade. ROFLAMOJ (rolling on the floor laughing at my own joke)
Grimbrand likes this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torydave View Post
I'm in the process of upgrading to new headlights. They are much brighter and I'm told more efficient - has anyone done a similar upgrade and noticed an improvement in fuel efficiency or is it all too good to be true?
The efficiency they are speaking of is not fuel efficiency, it is how much power the lights use to create a given candlepower of illumination. More efficient lights use less electricity for an equal amount of candlepower.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GT Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Grimbrand
The difference in parasitic horsepower loss between incandescent bulbs and LEDS is likely going to be smaller than the % of error for any given dyno. In other words, negligible. The decision to change your headlights should be based on what you feel comfortable driving around with, light-wise, at night. IMHO, not blinding everyone while still being able to see the road is good.

I smile a lot. It makes people wonder what I'm up to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page