Seafoam for 4.0 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Seafoam for 4.0

Where do ya'll add your seafoam? I saw a thread regarding this but was a little unclear at to where it goes. I have a 2006 v6 with 113k, not sure what work was done to my car other than oil changes before me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Put it in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

In the hose, not the brake booster.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90lxwhite View Post
In the hose, not the brake booster.

What about oil or gas? None in there? How mch of the can into the hose?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

You can put a whole can in the hose if you want. You can put some in the gas too. Honestly though it's not going to do all that much for you though. When it's put in the intake (that hose) it'll smoke a bunch until all of the seafoam is burned off but it really won't clean all that much. The white smoke that comes out is just the seafoam burning, not the carbon being burned off.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016
BOSS Member

Seafoam is a "Highly Corrosive" product and is clearly spelled out in the MSDS....something I would not have any desire to expose to fuel injectors, sensors (including O2) & hoses of any type. There are those that will state "Used it for years & no problem", and very true, but it simply violates every basic OEM specified maintenance/repair procedure & law of chemistry in the books.....

1. no mfg including domestic & imports (including BMW, MB, Porsche) advises using any product like this (or similar) for any service work on a fuel injected system. Documented damage goes back decades.

2. While there is no recommend service for EFI systems - specific to injectors, BG products does make a system/products that is used my many dealers & EFI specific shops. I like & use their throttle body cleaner, but I typically remove the TBS before application

There is lot of things that many people do to their engines, that is well document "Not to do"..............like I said, it's basic chemistry........that which we were all taught......with any product like this, always read the MSDS.....

Seafoam contains

1. Pale oil......cheap refinery distillate (Why somebody would fog their cat and o2 sensors with plumes of lubricant is beyond me.)

2. Napthalene......which is dry cleaning fluid, an Aromatic which means it is a "toxin" affecting directly the liver, kidneys, spleen, etc.

3. Isopropyl alcohol......not good for an engine (as this is 10% alcohol - typically) and the rest water

Sea Foam Sales Company - SDS

As listed under "Other important hazards", It also has "teratogenic" properties......Meaning there is an effect upon your DNA...meaning you are ok but you future kids come out "screwed up", cell structure abnormalities, cancers, etc....and yes, you are sucking this in when it dumps out your exhaust pipe....or if you are driving down the road to clear it out, to your neighbor whose behind you....and there is "no cure" for this.

Listed under "Hazardous Combustion Products" (meaning when its burning), it produces sulpher oxides (just what you want....feeding sulpher particulates into the cats) & phosphorus compounds.....this is not even close to being "good" for any plastic, o-ring, metal (like pistons, piston rings, residual that might bypass the piston rings and make it into the oil, e-sensor, the honey-combs inside the cat's. While the MSDS does not spec the ph of the product, if you measure the exhaust at the point of discharge, you'll crap in your pants when you see the ph change…..and for those who may think that the engine combustion will burn all this up....remember, poisons are destroyed at 1,800 degrees and toxins are destroyed at 2,500 degrees F......not even the cats are close to this.

Using the right oil with the right compounds in it is much better and safer!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
I already took my throttle body out and thoroughly cleaned it today. Just looking to clean the engine out a bit. Its 113k and id like to clean her out and maybe gain back a few mpgs.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016
Rookie

I'll be one of those that have used it in motorcycles , jet ski's and cars for yrs with no issues but only as an additive in the gas. No white smoke that way.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Seafoam for 4.0

It won't kill you to run it through the intake. If you wanted you could also pour a little Berryman's chemtool into the oil fill, let it run a minute and then change the oil. Neither the seafoam or the chemtool will hurt or help all that much really. As far as gaining back some mpg's how old is your airfilter? If it's old and dirty a new one will help a little. If your spark plugs are the original new ones would help a little too.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
It won't kill you to run it through the intake. If you wanted you could also pour a little Berryman's chemtool into the oil fill, let it run a minute and then change the oil. Neither the seafoam or the chemtool will hurt or help all that much really. As far as gaining back some mpg's how old is your airfilter? If it's old and dirty a new one will help a little. If your spark plugs are the original new ones would help a little too.

Air filters a few thousand miles old, its an airaid cai. spark plugs may be original, im the third owner so unsure. waiting on some more money to buy new spark plusg
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith0867 View Post
Air filters a few thousand miles old, its an airaid cai. spark plugs may be original, im the third owner so unsure. waiting on some more money to buy new spark plusg

Just get regular ole plugs. Don't get e3's or anything like that.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

Just get regular ole plugs. Don't get e3's or anything like that.
Not worth getting the ngk iridiums or anything aftermarket,
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Nah copper

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Nah copper

Just picked some up
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Just picked some up

Get em in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page