Other drivers or is it me? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By baylensmanfl
  • 1 Post By marylandGT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Other drivers or is it me?

I mostly live on my own little planet. Where nothing really aggravates me too much. 99% of my driving to work and from and chores is on my big Yamaha. Every once in a while the weather sucks, or I'm going somewhere with my Girl friend (she isn't riding right now) so i take my car or her car. Are drivers getting less courteous and dumber? I'm finding that lane changes and sudden stops are occurring more frequently and for no apparent reason. I don't see cell phones in all these cases just general disregard for the cars around them. I also find the the modern 30 something soccer mom type drives her escalade or other big ass suv like it the Coralla she had when she was in high school. Whipping around parking lots, changing lanes multiple times to gain one space in traffic at the light and so on. Also what happened to the old truism slower traffic keep right? So often it doesn't even seem odd anymore three lanes wide and the guy in right lane doing 2 miles under the limit guy in center doing the limit guy in the left doing one or two mile over the limit 100 cars backed up behind them, and someone dares to blow a horn, its either the one finger salute or all three cars slow down!

I remember a comedian said that we all should get dart guns with suction cup darts with a little flag that says stupid. When a car collects 3 or more flags a cop then pulls them over and gives them a ticket. 6 or more flags pull them over over and take their car. 10 flags and pull them over and smack some sense into them.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL

Last edited by baylensmanfl; 12-01-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylensmanfl View Post
I mostly live on my own little planet. Where nothing really aggravates me too much. 99% of my driving to and from and chores is on my big Yamaha. Every once in a while the weather sucks, or I'm going somewhere with my Girl friend (she isn't riding right now) so i take my car or her car. Are drivers getting less courteous and dumber? I'm finding that lane changes and sudden stops. are occurring more frequently and for no apparent reason. I don't see cell phones in all these cases just general disregard for the cars around them. I also find the the modern 30 something soccer mom type drives her escalade or other big ass suv like it the Coral she had when she was in high school. Whipping around parking lots, changing lanes multiple times to gain one space in traffic at the light and so on. Also what happened to the old truism slower traffic keep right, so often it doesn't even seem odd anymore three lanes guy in right lane doing 2 miles under the limit guy in center doing the limit guy in the left doing one or two mile over the limit 100 cars backed up behind them, and someone dares to blow a horn its either the one finger salute or all three cars slow down!

I remember a comedian said that we all should get dart guns with suction cup darts with a little flag that says stupid. When a car collects 3 or more flags a cop then pulls them over and gives them a ticket. 6 or more flags pull them over over and take their car. 10 flags and pull them over and smack some sense into them.
Definitely not just you, I see it every day, especially the car in the fast lane doing 55 mph with a mile and a half between them and traffic up a head. You would think when 6 cars go around them that they would leave the lane.. Nope too stupid. People don't signal while changing lanes, they just move to what ever lane they want as if there are no other cars on the road. Instead of the darts with flags we should use paint ball guns

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017
PONY Member

Garage
Suction cups, paintball guns? Personally I would prefer a bazooka....

Completely agree with you guys though. I commute to DC everyday from N VA and it gets worse everyday with the complete ignorance and disregard for other drivers. VA just passed a new law though to ticket people in the left lane if they obstruct the flow of traffic in the left lane and don't move over. As soon as they passed it I noticed a difference mainly the commuter buses stopped riding in the left lane which was the biggest back up causing issue. Now they just need to ticket a few of these other self centered clueless drivers coasting in the left lane. To me it's not about how fast you drive it's about how your affecting other drivers. If your holding up traffic it doesn't matter what speed you are going or they are going you move over out of courtesy. And waiting till the last second to hit an off ramp or not knowing what merge means when using on ramps is my second source of rage.

Bazooka man. I just need a bazooka to rid the world of the problem ?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I agree as well, folks don't seem to respect the actual skill it takes to properly operate a motor vehicle.

It's especially bad in big cities where about a million self-centered personalities are all using the road at once. I work in and around the Houston area and it never ceases to amaze me how much I witness pure idiocy behind the wheel. I must admit however that some of that idiocy is a byproduct of extremely poor planning in the layout of cities while they were expanding.

At one point I was sitting at a light and glanced around and saw that every single driver at that intersection had a damn phone in their hand. I witnessed a young girl driving a BMW with both hands on her phone at damn near eye level texting away without a care in the world. Don't most high end cars have speech to text in their infotainment systems?

It's also noteworthy that cars have radar based cruise control, lane departure avoidance, and automatic braking (in some cases up to 30mph). Hell the F150 can back your trailer up for you and some cars will even parallel park for you. That's engineering the skill out of driving in the guise of safety which in turn makes people complacent and much more easily distracted.

Ok, rant off.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017
Rookie

Doesn't matter what city you are in, there are crazy drivers everywhere.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017
PONY Member

Maybe the guy going the limit in the left lane right beside another car and blocking drove the same route a few minutes ago in the opposite direction and knows there's a well concealed photo radar placement waiting for you. Before you salute him be sure this isn't the case.

And that soccer mom who gave you the salute? Before returning the favor check that you didn't leave your Starbucks coffee on your roof.

Even when witnessing the worst in people it helps to hope for the best.

Except for that dink in the crappy old Toyota that screwed me over on the freeway yesterday. He deserved and promptly received the finger. No mistake about that one. Nope, no mistake there.

I think people wrongly believe that if they are going the speed limit, no one can say anything to them about their speed or lane choice. Also, have you ever sat in a huge line up for what feels like forever to find there is an accident and flashing lights in the distance ahead? You stew about the drivers who slow down excessively to gawk and crane and won't get on with it. They have waited their turn to gawk and they darn well won't rush the gawk. Full gawk value demanded and gotten!

As a sub-question to subsequent posters. Are you a gawker or do you get on with it?

I usually get on with it but if it's something really spectacular (maybe involving nudity or really improbably placed vehicles post accident) I have on occasion been guilty of gawking. Not often, but it has definitely happened.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Gawking?!?!.......Hell, I've taken pictures when it's my turn!!!
Car on it's roof, another half up in the trees on a straight, dry, sunny road?!?!
I can't believe what I'm seeing and I wanna share it with someone!!! Lol
UUUd444 likes this.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
Gawking?!?!.......Hell, I've taken pictures when it's my turn!!!
Car on it's roof, another half up in the trees on a straight, dry, sunny road?!?!
I can't believe what I'm seeing and I wanna share it with someone!!! Lol
LOL.

Are you the driver that 85andstillalive outed about having BOTH hands on the cell phone and none on the steering wheel?

You and 85 are going to have to hash this out.

Good luck and best wishes on that.

2014 Gray Mustang

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Lol.
I drive a truck for a living. I see all those distracted idiots everywhere.
Whenever I see a stupid move and I can get a glimpse of the driver, 9 times outta 10 they're texting or talking on them.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
Lol.
I drive a truck for a living. I see all those distracted idiots everywhere.
Whenever I see a stupid move and I can get a glimpse of the driver, 9 times outta 10 they're texting or talking on them.
The other day I was driving along one of our inner city freeways over a bridge above the North Saskatchewan River and came upon a fully marked police car going a bit too slow in the right lane. He was weaving around about half a lane each side as I approached. As I pulled beside him I looked over. He appeared to be intently staring down into his crotch area. Both hand were down there as well, none on the steering wheel.

Well, I thought the obvious. He was having himself off. I drove beside him wondering when he would ever look up. Finally he leaned his head back and his hands rose into view. Of course it turned out he was double hand texting! Wow, was he ever embarrassed. We have really strict distracted driver laws here with big fines.

I would have taken a photo with my phone but I probably would have gotten a distracted driving fine myself for my trouble. Would have been a really good Youtube video, though.

All the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUd444 View Post
LOL.

Are you the driver that 85andstillalive outed about having BOTH hands on the cell phone and none on the steering wheel?

You and 85 are going to have to hash this out.

Good luck and best wishes on that.
Nah, I'm not as irritated about gawking or taking a pic of a really spectacular incident or ultra rare event.

Hell, I even find it funny when I see anyone posing for selfies (yes, ducklips and all) while waiting at stoplights.

Texas just passed a law banning ALL cellphone use at any time in a vehicle, but you wouldn't know it looking around in traffic, doesn't seem to have slowed it down at all.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page